A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

Always wary of those "I heard from some people who saw it that it's not good", kinda like Devin Faraci with Daredevil saying he'd heard that the show was trash :D you could do that for every movie really. 

Listened to the segment: he just said "from people I've spoken to, really not getting strong word", that's it. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Always wary of those "I heard from some people who saw it that it's not good", kinda like Devin Faraci with Daredevil saying he'd heard that the show was trash :D you could do that for every movie really. 

Listened to the segment: he just said "from people I've spoken to, really not getting strong word", that's it. 

Just watched the segment. Yeah, you can't really read so much into it. He says that and that the distributor naturally isn't hot on a video game movie. Not much there 

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Sadly considering there are no reviews yet it's probably not good. The talent involved really made me hope this was good 

I think it's good for them to sustain the hype before unleashing the reviews wether they're good or bad. It may not have been a wise choice for Passengers to do that looking back 

this movie has a lot of talent. Fassbender and Cotillard starring. The director's previous film being well reviewed, famous Hollywood producers Arnon Milchan and Frank Marshall producing (look at their resume of films, it is amazing). If it is not good it shows that video game movies are just tough to crack

Edited by John Marston

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

this movie has a lot of talent. Fassbender and Cotillard starring. The director's previous film being well reviewed, famous Hollywood producers Arnon Milchan and Frank Marshall producing. If it is not good it shows that video game movies are just tough to crack

A lot of people have said it, but there's something about a video game that's hard to replicate in a film. It's different when you're controlling the character. There's like a deeper personal attachment when you're making the choices, seeing the game through an avatar.

Personally, the best video game movies are the ones that aren't meant to be one like Edge of Tomorrow. I felt like I was watching a video game. Hardcore Henry is another example, though it's not a good movie. It took all the cliches of a video game and blended them together.  It's probably the closest to a "true" video game adaptation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GambitPool said:

A lot of people have said it, but there's something about a video game that's hard to replicate in a film. It's different when you're controlling the character. There's like a deeper personal attachment when you're making the choices, seeing the game through an avatar.

Personally, the best video game movies are the ones that aren't meant to be one like Edge of Tomorrow. I felt like I was watching a video game. Hardcore Henry is another example, though it's not a good movie. It took all the cliches of a video game and blended them together.  It's probably the closest to a "true" video game adaptation. 

Hopefully that approach works here

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Marston said:

Sadly considering there are no reviews yet it's probably not good. The talent involved really made me hope this was good 

I still have hope they wait until Monday for reviews to avoid the Rogue One media focus. This week was totally focused on Rogue One so if you expect good reviews, they would be forgotten. On the other hand, if you expect bad reviews, they can also be missed by some people (like for Passengers). 

Edited by Shaldun
  • Like 1

Alright, seeing this tomorrow night, so unless this screening is embargoed which I doubt (given it's the 'Global Fan Screening') expect some thoughts from me following.

1 hour ago, Shaldun said:

I still have hope they wait until Monday for reviews to avoid the Rogue One media focus. This week was totally focused on Rogue One so if you expect good reviews, they would be forgotten. On the other hand, if you expect bad reviews, they can also be missed by some people (like for Passengers). 

Yeah, my understanding is that it is Monday 7pm Eastern. 

• Like 2

Assassin’s Creed will be given the Chinese release date for soon.

I have a bad feeling about this. If it open on Jan.20 2017, only 7 days for Chinese moviegoers watching it in theaters. I have explained that in other place.

On 2016/12/11 at 0:16 AM, Gavin Feng said:

Alright.

As far as I know, no powerful opponents will appear before Spring Festival. And the travel rush(many live in first-tier cities will come back to hometown for reuniting with family which mostly is located in third and fourth tier cities) will help Rogue One’s drop of Second and Third weekend(less than -60% for Mon, -10% for Tue-Thu and Sunday but +35%-60% on Saturday). 22 days for Rogue One(Jan.6 - 27, many watch TV on eve, and screen showings will be cut to 0.01% from first day of SF)

For the time being, levels of interest is not high, and I hope the film can keep the boom in US and Europe so that more audience will know it just like TFA

The most important thing is RT. Although Chinese seldom care about RT and MTC, it still make sense to box office for most time. 

optimistic prediction

¥150m OD including midnights, ¥480m OW, ¥1,000m lifetime gross($140m).

Rogue One open Jan.6.

Passengers has a great chance to do on Jan.13. 

• Like 1