Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

670 M is disappointing? lol What drug is that you are using?

It depends on how you think of Superman, if you think of him as a premier superhero (like Superman used to be), then making less then other big Superheroes like Batman, Avengers/Iron Man, and Spiderman would be disappointing.

• Like 1

No superhero is bigger than Spider Man. Put this inside your minds. Others might be bigger in the US, but outside they're not. Superman is too conected to the US and most people find him boring, which he is.

Spiderman does not have the biggest OS gross for a superhero film.

No superhero is bigger than Spider Man. Put this inside your minds. Others might be bigger in the US, but outside they're not. Superman is too conected to the US and most people find him boring, which he is.

Strongly disagree. 

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

in 2006, no 2013's developed markets and without 3D.

What I wanted to say is MoS came from a very poor OS performance and a meh movie. It is difficult to set up a good behaviour in box office with these circumstances. TASM dropped from SM3, which was quite bad received, and BB did even lower than SR, being a better movie by far because it came from Batman & Robin. I do not think MoS has had a bad performance.

Edited by peludo

Both Iron Man 3 and The Dark Knight Rises have been bigger OS than any Spider-man movie.

• Like 1

SM3 was the biggest. TDK and IM3 came later. Spiderman 3 adjusted to 700M OS.

That is true. It was the biggest solo movie OS until TDKR. But, if we adjust numbers then we can say that, 35 years ago, Superman did 166 million OS. I do not know how much does it adjust today but I think it should be quite close to SM3. Using the today US price, Superman (1978) adjusts to 578 million OS. Of course, it is not an accurate calculation. I think that number would be higher because many markets ticket prices have grown quite more than US proportionally since 1978. Of course, I do not even count expanding markets or 3D factor.

I think it is difficult to say which is bigger. There are many factors to have into account. Today, Superman has not the same level than Batman, Iron Man or Spider-man in box office. The problem is that we can not know what will be the evolution of the character in terms of box office because in 2015 it will not be a solo movie. We will have to wait and see how this new Superman evolves.

It depends on how you think of Superman, if you think of him as a premier superhero (like Superman used to be), then making less then other big Superheroes like Batman, Avengers/Iron Man, and Spiderman would be disappointing.

It's a reboot. And it made more than BB, IRON MAN and IRON MAN ll. What's disappointing there?

• Like 1

It's a reboot. And it made more than BB, IRON MAN and IRON MAN ll. What's disappointing there?

I don't think it's particularly disappointing, just expected and average. But if you are going to mention the films it made more than, I can mention those it made less than: Avengers, IM3, TDKR, TDK, Spiderman 1, 2, 3 and TASM. doing that isn't disappointing if you compare it to SR, but it is if you think of Superman as an A grade superhero. It's just a matter of which perspective you are coming from.

DOM poor legs (not entirely MOS fault) and only grossing a bit more than WWZ OS (a movie that was doomed one month before the release, let's not forget), it's not something to MOS to be proud of

You know, this is why it is a clear disappointment to me regardless of the successful overall ww gross. 

After all WWZ didn't benefit from the biggest OS market input.  Discount China from MOS for better comparison and WWZ did better overseas than MOS.

This is not a good sign for a superhero movie featuring iconic Superman that benefitted from a stellar campaign plastered with the director's name of the two biggest solo superhero movies before IM3 took the title.

You can't use the competition criterion abroad to explain this failure.  MOS just didn't appeal to a lot of OS markets that were attracted to TDKR just a year ago, to the point of prefering a movie like WWZ instead.

I firmly beleived that introducing Batman in the sequel is a way to win back as soon as possible those markets that did unexpectedly poorly compared to TDKR which didn't even have the 3D incentive, had to share its chinese run with TASM and yet did nearly $300 millions more abroad. 

Clearly, if MOS had performed universally good not even great, but good in all of the big OS markets, it should have reach $470 M instead of $370 M. 

Too many markets just underperformed and too many markets had steep drops after the very first weekend, which confirm that disappointment factor in a lot of viewers.  It was on pace to bigger gross in a lot of markets and went down quick in many of them, showing poor legs in a majority of them.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1