Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

No Bale No billion!

Do not agree. If MoS can round 700 WW with an average movie, the first movie in the history with Batman and Superman together should fly over billion with relative ease. The first Bale's Batman was under Superman Returns WW (and that considering BB was an excellent movie and SR was just meh). And let's remember both were in the same conditions: both came from awful predecessors and with new main actors.

Then, TDK exploded thanks to, mainly, story and characters (not just Batman, but overall Joker and Two Faces). And TDKR benefitted from the fame generated by previous movie. I love Nolan's trilogy and I consider that Bale is easily the best Batman ever and if he came back he could help for sure to gross more, but not in a so high grade as you think.

People don't care about Bale, they will see Batman and will want to see it just for that.

In SH movies the characters are much more important than the actors, apart from Iron Man.

Edited by Sonic

People don't care about Bale, they will see Batman and will want to see it just for that.

In SH movies the characters are much more important than the actors, apart from Iron Man.

Bale himself isn't a draw, but being part of the same universe as the dark knight series is.

• Like 1

I would be very cautious with that affirmation because outside of Nolan's Batman (and even there, only TDK and TDKR), the OS market never really embraced Batman, the character the way they embraced Spider Man, proven by its reboot that demonstrated that even outside of Raimy and Tobey Mc guire, the character is still very popular abroad.. 

So nothing is certain.  It is yet to be proven that a non Nolan Batman without Bale can bring the masses in droves better than Spider Man (hence hitting at least $600M abroad) does when it comes to the OS market, to have a chance to hit a billion.

The same way that The Bourne sans Matt Dillon and the Terminator serie sans Cameron and Schwarzie (except for his cameo) are much less attractive to the audience.  It will also be the case when IM will rebooted without RDJ. 

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1

I would be very cautious with that affirmation because outside of Nolan's Batman (and even there, only TDK and TDKR), the OS market never really embraced Batman, the character the way they embraced Spider Man, proven by its reboot that demonstrated that even outside of Raimy and Tobey Mc guire, the character is still very popular abroad.

So nothing is certain.  It is yet to be proven that a non Nolan Batman without Bale can bring the masses in droves better than Spider Man (hence hitting at least $600M abroad) does when it comes to the OS market, to have a chance to hit a billion.

The same way that The Bourne sans Matt Dillon and the Terminator serie sans Cameron and Schwarzie (except for his cameo) are much less attractive to the audience.  It will also be the case when IM will rebooted without RDJ. 

I agree for the most part, but I'd say the OS gross for Batman '89 was actually pretty good for its time. 

I would be very cautious with that affirmation because outside of Nolan's Batman (and even there, only TDK and TDKR), the OS market never really embraced Batman, the character the way they embraced Spider Man, proven by its reboot that demonstrated that even outside of Raimy and Tobey Mc guire, the character is still very popular abroad.. 

OS markets were small before the recent trilogy, unfair comparison...The OS market changed, and superheroes are more popular than ever.

So yes,Batman's presence would be enough, they don't care about the actor.

OS markets were small before the recent trilogy, unfair comparison...The OS market changed, and superheroes are more popular than ever.

So yes,Batman's presence would be enough, they don't care about the actor.

Sure. 

But you have to admit that it never really rose much above the domestic one and since Raimi, no other superhero, be it Batman or Superman has proven to be consistently as popular as Spiderman OS Wise, regardless of who is playing it.  Hence why i will be VERY cautious and not say that Batman + Superman is a given to hit one billion at this stage.

Spiderman is a better contender to hit high marks OS.  Put Spiderman with any other (put him back to TA) and you will sure see a significant increase in the OS market.  Batman + Superman are no guarantee at all.  It will all depend on the movie itself, if it's good or not. 

Even TDK did it by crawling and by having one of the 4th biggest domestic take ever sustained by an Oscar camapaign.  It did better domestic than foreign and it was a great movie with lots of exposure due to that Oscar campaign for his deceased star.

That's why i stay cautious cause for me the only asset that has proven to be that popular overseas regardless of which actor plays it is Spiderman.  Spiderman can hit easily  a minimum of $550 M at this stage in the OS market regardless of the quality of the movie, regardless of its actor.  I wouldn't go as far for Superman + Batman whose reception depend on a lot more variables, including a great movie.

• Like 2

Superman Returns made 1.45 billion yen(around $15M in current exchange rate) back then in 2006.

20M is possible for MOS.

Maybe. Realease date is not the best..

15-20 mill could happen. But not 30 mill