CJohn

The Croods OS thread

34.1M weekend

206.8 OS

Another nice hold.

Excellent numbers, there were people who didn't think it would pass 200m overseas total.

So, with the current 125.8 Domestic TC has really blown past 300 WW this week with 332.6. 1 more week of good holds and it might pass 400 by the end of next weekend (a couple more markets open too, including France).

I've looked, but I don't see a date for Japan, will TC be released in Japan?

[*]DreamWorks Animation’s The Croods added $25.6m from 10,590 screens in 65 markets through Fox International to propel the running total to $244.8m.

The highlight was a number two debut in France on $3.7m from 767 that will benefit from the start of school holidays. The family feature held firm in second place in the UK where $3.1m from 1,000 boosted the score to $34.4m.

Australia generated $2.9m from 543 for $16.9m after three weekends and in a string of fourth weekends The Croodscoaxed a further $1.5m from 580 in Brazil for $13.3m, $1.4m from 889 in Mexico for $22.8m, $1.1m from 1,000 in Germany for $17.4m and $833,120 from 522 in Spain for $14.5m. The film ranks number two in all these territories except for Mexico where it ranks third.

The Croods opened in second place in New Zealand on $730,801 from 138 and was expected to finish second in its Turkish debut on $441,916 from 200. The Russian running total has reached $26.3m after four sessions.

Now I really think CROODS (opening on Sat, 4.20) can do pretty well here (for an original animation film). The marketing for it is efficient and the buzz is there.

Sure, a Saturday opening is not as good as a Friday opening, and next week is full of working days, but then it gets the May holiday week when 5 of the 7 days will be holidays, a big boost to come, especially it being the only family movie playing in theaters.

I see 30M $3.2M two days opening, 40M next week and then 60M holiday week, following by some 30M late run. That is to say, it actually has a shot at 160M+ ($26M) total gross from China. Even 200M yuan is doable.