CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Talk about setting the bar high. The next few Disney releases will inevitably be compared to Frozen, and doing 200m+ domestic and 400m+ overseas (Tangled level numbers) will be seen as "disappointing".Honestly, looking at Disney's list of upcoming movies the next few years I don't see anything with the potential to come close to Frozen, but 500-600m worldwide certainly seems like a doable range for some of them.

But did anyone see this success coming for Frozen? We never know what could happen with the next releases.

Talk about setting the bar high. The next few Disney releases will inevitably be compared to Frozen, and doing 200m+ domestic and 400m+ overseas (Tangled level numbers) will be seen as "disappointing".

Honestly, looking at Disney's list of upcoming movies the next few years I don't see anything with the potential to come close to Frozen, but 500-600m worldwide certainly seems like a doable range for some of them.

I think they'll have some goodwill going for them. BH6 could get to 700+, especially if it takes off in Asia. Zootopia might be lower, but I think Giants has potential to cash in on Frozen goodwill.

The big issue is that the quality needs to remain high. The problem with the Renaissance was that the studio had four films of increasing audience engagement, culminating in TLK. But then the next two were Pocahontas and Hunchback, which weren't anywhere near the level of quality of the previous four. (Poca is not very good at all, and Hunchback was uneven.)

Before Frozen, Disney was probably looking at a 500 WW as a good performance: 175 DOM, 325 OS. WiR was a bit under that, but close. After Frozen, they probably can say that's a baseline performance, and they should get some goodwill benefit for an additional boost in some cases.

(Scary awesome thought: If Tangled was The Little Mermaid, and Frozen is BatB, then WiR was Rescuers Down Under. Imagine if BH6 performs like Aladdin, and is even bigger.)

I think Big Hero 6 has some potential for success, and by success, I mean Frozen-level success. Superhero movies, especially Marvel's, make a lot of money nowadays. And I assume audiences are interested with what Disney has to offer next. If the quality doesn't go down, and word of mouth is strong for BH6, the same thing can happen all over again.

Frozen's getting a sing-a-long in the UK too now, on the 7th of Feb, a week before half-term holidays. At £35.6m currently, might be able to stretch for £40m, which would mean around $65m in total.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

Frozen's getting a sing-a-long in the UK too now, on the 7th of Feb, a week before half-term holidays. At £35.6m currently, might be able to stretch for £40m, which would mean around $65m in total.

I wish all countries can get sing-along version. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on the country whether a singalong release really makes any sense... for example i doubt that it would really work in austria or germany... stuff like karaoke isnt big around here :-)

Edited by chuck0

Brazil: This Weekend 185k tickets sold -33% (Last weekend 276k tickets sold). Total: 3.56 M. Tickets sold.

Argentina: This Weekend 136k tickets sold -6% (Last Weekend 146k tickets sold). Total: 1.39 M. Tickets sold.

But in Brazil and Argentina there was a drastic change in the exchange rate last Friday. So in American Dollars Frozen fell 41% in Brazil and around 20% in Argentina. 

Brazil: This Weekend 185k tickets sold -33% (Last weekend 276k tickets sold). Total: 3.56 M. Tickets sold.

Argentina: This Weekend 136k tickets sold -6% (Last Weekend 146k tickets sold). Total: 1.39 M. Tickets sold.

But in Brazil and Argentina there was a drastic change in the exchange rate last Friday. So in American Dollars Frozen fell 41% in Brazil and around 20% in Argentina. 

Wow that's a huge currency shift.  I guess right now's not a good time for OS performances...