CJohn

Frozen OS thread

I'm sure that won't happen. Why? Demographics!

Japan loses inhabitants every year, more and more, and the number of births collapse while the growth of retired people explodes.

It's not only dangerous zconomically, that also means the potential audience is decreasing year after year.

And cinemas could be hit by the next VAT increases.

Yeah, I know that. But who knows, maybe there will be a movie that resonates to the Japanese audience so much that it will be as big as Spirited Away. Also, maybe Japan's demographics and economic situation will change in the future. You never know. There's always a possibility of that, no matter how small. So I can't really say it will never happen, because I don't know about the future. And that's why I said what I said. ;)

Yeah, I know that. But who knows, maybe there will be a movie that resonates to the Japanese audience so much that it will be as big as Spirited Away. Also, maybe Japan's demographics and economic situation will change in the future. You never know. There's always a possibility of that, no matter how small. So I can't really say it will never happen, because I don't know about the future. And that's why I said what I said. ;)

I sometimes think people just don't understand how big Spirited Away was. The biggest film since then was Howl's and that was still 10b yen off. In other words, it was still off by TS3.

I sometimes think people just don't understand how big Spirited Away was. The biggest film since then was Howl's and that was still 10b yen off. In other words, it was still off by TS3.

THIS. I think it's easier (bigger possibility) to break Avatar WW record than Spirited Away's record in Japan.

Btw, I have mixed feelings about Frozen beating TS3 WW. TS3 is one of my all time favorite movies (and it's actually close to #1 on my all time favorite list). At the same time I LOVE Frozen so much and it deserves every penny it's getting, but I still think TS3 deserves more than what it got.

Edited by catlover

Answer to mfantin65's post in the China thread:

Locks

China 45M

SK 75M

Japan 40M

DOM 395M

Global 1.06B

Reasonable

China 50M

SK 80M

Japan 60M

DOM 401M

Global 1.1B

Optimistic scenario

China 60M

SK 90M

Japan 100M

DOM 410M

Global 1.17B

Frozen needs to reach the insane level of MU, MI, Nemo and TS3 in Japan to even struggle to your 'lock'...enough said :P 

Locks

China 47.5M

SK 75M

Japan 70M

DOM 400M

Global 1.1B

Reasonable

China 55M

SK 85M

Japan 110M

DOM 403M

Global 1.15B

Optimistic scenario

China 65M

SK 90M

Japan 180M

DOM 410M

Global 1.2B

I could see it doing really well in Japan, and I don't think Disney will take it out of theaters until it clears 400M DOM.  Frozen recovered nicely on Saturday in China, and should clear 40M this weekend.

LocksChina 47.5MSK 75MJapan 70MDOM 400MGlobal 1.1B ReasonableChina 55MSK 85MJapan 110MDOM 403MGlobal 1.15B Optimistic scenarioChina 65MSK 90MJapan 180MDOM 410MGlobal 1.2BI could see it doing really well in Japan, and I don't think Disney will take it out of theaters until it clears 400M DOM.  Frozen recovered nicely on Saturday in China, and should clear 40M this weekend.

Your optimistic numbers total 152.5m more. So you're saying 1.252 then? I love a long shot. IM3 here we come!

To put things in perspective for Japan:

In all of history, 25 movies have made over $100M there. (Unadjusted gross in yen, converted at today's exchange rate).

9 have made over $150M.

2 have made over $200M.  One of those is Titanic, at $256M.  The other is Spirited Away, at $297M.

Unless you're predicting that it will do even more spectacularly well in Japan than anywhere else in the world, 100-150M should be the top of your range.

Edited by Murgatroyd

SK sunday box office numbers for frozen

daily admission: 153,923

total admission: 9.61m

Total gross: $72m

Basically 300k admission for this weekend. It's lost a lot of steam but as long as it's still running by next weekend 10m admission is a lock. Frozen atm is 11th in the all time SK box office admissions ranking, an incredible performance considering it isn't a local film and it's an animation(traditionally not very popular in SK). 10m is seen as a significant figure over here only 10 films have ever managed it so frozen will be joining a very exclusive club :)

On a side note, I really can't believe pompei is #1 in SK box office...that film literally blows

• Like 2