CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Sk box office numbers (mon) 

daily admission: 50,192

tot: admission: 9.66m

All time admission ranking:11th

all time gross ranking: 7th

This weeks projection: 50k for weekdays and 14k for the weekend and SK will hit 10m admissions. greatest obstacles are new releases non stop, 12 years a slave & monuments men. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

So I read that a Doraemon movie will open a week before Frozen and The Lego Movie will debut a week after its opening in Japan. Wouldn't that be too much competition hindering its break out chances in Japan?

Is the LEGO brand really a big deal in Japan? I'm a gaming journalist (as a hobby), and to my knowledge very few LEGO games even get released over there. All titles and platforms combined, the gaming brand has sold over 55 million units in North America, over 30 million units in Europe, and about 0.1 million units in Japan. And that's just video games, but I imagine there a reason why it doesn't sell well there, and thus why they don't release many titles there anymore, that may be reflected in LEGO toys and movies.

Edited by Ray

So I read that a Doraemon movie will open a week before Frozen and The Lego Movie will debut a week after its opening in Japan. Wouldn't that be too much competition hindering its break out chances in Japan?

Doraemon movies always open on the same week and have pretty much the same box office numbers every year. Although somehow, after the 2011 movie was hit pretty bad by the tsunami, the franchise bounced back with the 2012 movie, and has been setting new records for Doraemon franchise every year after that. But I'm still not worried. Japan is a leggy market. Movies are not relying heavily on OW. Competition doesn't matter that much. For example, The Secret World of Arrietty, a Ghibli animation, was released only 1 week after TS3. Both made more than 9b yen, with TS3 over 10b. Also, Lego Movie won't make much in Japan, not really a competition.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

Is the LEGO brand really a big deal in Japan? I'm a gaming journalist (as a hobby), and to my knowledge very few LEGO games even get released over there. All titles and platforms combined, the gaming brand has sold over 55 million units in North America, over 30 million units in Europe, and about 0.1 million units in Japan. And that's just video games, but I imagine there a reason why it doesn't sell well there, and thus why they don't release many titles there anymore, that may be reflected in LEGO toys and movies.

I don't think LEGO will have much of an impact in Japan if South Korea is any indication at all. LEGO opened really weak and is already out of the top 10 there in its 2nd week.

I don't think LEGO will have much of an impact in Japan if South Korea is any indication at all. LEGO opened really weak and is already out of the top 10 there in its 2nd week.

Lego failed in South Korea because it was in conflict with 2 of the 3 main film distributors and so it didn't get many screens. Added to the low interest in lego itself and a very strong competitor in frozen made it do very poorly, worse than TNJ in fact.

Disney’s Frozen Available to Watch on iTunes for The First Time Ever(from gottabemobile.com)Frozen is now available to download and stream via Apple’s iTunes service. The hit animated film was scheduled for a Tuesday release, but those on the West Coast were able to watch Frozen a few hours early since Apple and Disney released it at midnight EST. Released in late 2013, Frozen has grossed nearly $1 billion at the box office so far.Frozen is available to purchase for $19.99 in HD format from iTunes now. The more affordable standard definition isn’t available until March 18. Apple isn’t currently listing when the movie will be available to rent.What kind of impact will this have on Japan??

Edited by Rsyu

People outside of US can buy it too as long as they have a US account and a visa card. adding subtitles is a piece of cake. 

That takes a lot of effort. It's only 2 weeks away. I'm pretty sure people there would just wait for the theatrical release. Even if some people in Japan do that, it will be a very small number of downloads. Digital download for movies is not big there to begin with. So the impact on its box office would be close to zero. I mean if free illegal downloads don't have much impact on Japan, why would a digital release in other country?

ooh sing-along version opening in Korea on Mar 6th!

Awesome! depending on how widely it is released and the duration of its run, frozen could even challenge avatar! I've only found info that it will be released on march 6th, do you have any more info?