film2kz

Weekend EST- IA4 45.5M; TASM 35M(-44%); Ted 22.1M; Brave 10.7M; MM 9M

Anyways, IA OW is disappointing and a solid $10-15m less than I expected, however I do think it will hold up well and be the one thing that can weather the TDKR storm. Not all kids are old enough for the Batman movies, and the Ice Age movies have all shown very healthy legs barring the 2nd one, so this one should follow suit. Also last major family movie for awhile, so it has no big new competition to worry about for a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the next few weekends for it are only around 30% drops or so.

I saw Savages last night. My buddy didn't care for it and the audience vibe wasn't entirely enthusiastic. With that said, I found it entertaining, well acted, and original.The theater (albeit a small theater) was pretty full. 45% seems about right.

Awesome hold for TASM. It should hit 265-270M and maybe more, if it can have drop around 55% instead of 60% next weekend.Congrats to Fake for the win over MovieMan. AA, looks like you've the upper hand over Baumer with your bet.

• Like 2

I plan to see Spiderman next week. I'm not a big fan, but I've seen the prior 3 movies, so I'll be able to objectively compare the new reboot to the previous series. Will comment about it.

I had this attitude and saw it on Saturday. I wasn't expecting much and was even dreading going through the same "how he becomes Spider-Man" story we saw just 10 years ago (and countless times outside the theater since). Yet, I was surprised at the refreshing spin put on that story as well as the characters. And Garfield really does pull you in as Spider-Man. I think you will enjoy it.
  • Like 2

I had this attitude and saw it on Saturday. I wasn't expecting much and was even dreading going through the same "how he becomes Spider-Man" story we saw just 10 years ago (and countless times outside the theater since). Yet, I was surprised at the refreshing spin put on that story as well as the characters. And Garfield really does pull you in as Spider-Man. I think you will enjoy it.

TASM is as "refreshing" to Spiderman as New Coke was to Coca Cola.

Nope. Hancock is a better comparison. Hellboy is a purely fanboy movie with little appeal to anyone else TASM appeals to women, tweens and other demographics. Hancock made 50 million while playing parallel to TDK. TASM has four years of inflation, 3D and better WOM so I am expecting 55-60 million peformance.200+16+55=271

I think this is a great prediction. Even if you are a bit high or a bit low, I have a feeling the total won't be far off from this sum. And if TASM makes anywhere close to $275M domestically, that should be considered a hit. First, the SM franchise was dropping under Raimi. I liked SM2 more than the first, but there was about a $30M drop between the two films. SM3 was not as beloved and saw a $40M drop. Given this is a reboot with a whole new cast - and the thought that many felt a reboot was too soon - any amount even approaching $300M is great.TASM is actually a good movie. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it (and I was in the "too soon for a reboot camp"). Therefore, I hope it hits close to that projection. I would love to see a sequel (or have SM join the Avengers - oh to dream).

TASM is as "refreshing" to Spiderman as New Coke was to Coca Cola.

As you know, New Coke was a big hit for Coca Cola - which is a franchise - in terms of boosting sales overall. So if TASM revives the franchise of SM, then I guess your analogy works. However, I don't think that's your point. ;)I can respect your view if you actually saw the movie. For example, while "Hunger Games" made a fortune, I wasn't terribly impressed by the film. I'm stunned that it made over $400M domestically. But that's my view and I have to accept that many others disagree. However, your statement suggests that you have other reasons behind why you hate this film, and they aren't actually based on the film itself. It's tough to eliminate all bias, but sometimes it is better to focus on the actual item, not the nonsense surrounding it. Edited by doctoru2
  • Like 1

Good hold for Spider-Man, should finish very close to 270m, Ted has another fantastic hold, IA has done well enough, Brave didn't totally collapsed, overall not a bad weekend, significantly down from last year when DH2 opened but that is natural.

how is that drop good for Spider-Man? I thought this was getting such good WOM yet it won't pass the other Spider-Man movies, and will struggle to make into the black, what else can be expected though from loonies who thinks ASM is the greatest thing known to man and will go crazy when people use facts, IMO.

how is that drop good for Spider-Man? I thought this was getting such good WOM yet it won't pass the other Spider-Man movies, and will struggle to make into the black, what else can be expected though from loonies who thinks ASM is the greatest thing known to man and will go crazy when people use facts, IMO.

It is a good hold, not sure why it wouldn't be considered a good hold.It is pretty unrealistic to expect a reboot to pass the original spiderman trilogy, only the loonie people thought it could gross over SM3.It won't struggle to make it into the black, it looks like TASM will find some considerable profit for Sony, regardless of that ridiculously bloated budget for such a crap looking film. As a franchise this rebooted trilogy or whatever it becomes should be handled much better but I doubt it works out that way.

The drop is good but mattmav is right that TASM will struggle to get into the black. It will do it but only just. DVD/BR profits are another matter, obviously.

It should make 800m WW, what is the budget? 230m PB and is there a reported number for marketing?