film2kz

Weekend EST- IA4 45.5M; TASM 35M(-44%); Ted 22.1M; Brave 10.7M; MM 9M

it's marketing budget is probably no different than any other big movie coming out. Or the last two Spider-mans. The people who are saying ASM is going to "struggle to be successful" are talking total bullshit

So? 750M on a ~330M budget is a success but should give Sony pause before approving the budget on the sequel.

So? 750M on a ~330M budget is a success but should give Sony pause before approving the budget on the sequel.

no it won't enough of this nonsense. Fox went ahead and greenlit an X-Men First Class sequel and that made 355m on a 160m production budget and you are telling me Sony is going to have hesitation about an ASM sequel? Edited by John Marston

no it won't enough of this nonsense. Fox went ahead and greenlit an X-Men First Class sequel and that made 355m on a 160m production budget and you are telling me Sony is going to have hesitation about an ASM sequel?

No, not at all. I'm saying they might want to keep the budget down to a "modest" 300M this time.

LMAO!!!! This is one is hilarious. After trying to spin everything that TASM accomplishes into something bad and insistently predicting it would crumble its second week, now the reason it held so well is Twilight-loving teenage girls? Can you say "grasping at straws"? That doesn't even make sense. We have all seen the second-week drops of the Twilight movies. Boy, the anti-TASM brigade is hilariously ridiculous in their "logic." :rofl:

I work at a cinema so I can tell you for a fact that there were more teenage girls going to see TASM this weekend than young boys. Obviously, it's not going to drop as much as Twilight, comic book movies are never that frontloaded. Having said that, TASM's (overestimated) 2nd weekend drop is only 6% less than Eclipse . . .Look, I'm not putting down TASM for going after the Twi-hards. It was a smart move by Sony. They knew Rami fanboys and other people against the idea of a reboot would be reluctant to turn out. So they went for a new audience. Kudos to them, I say. :D

BO.com lists TASM total budget at 305M. TASM will be a success for Sony, there's no way around it. When you factor in ancillary revenues, Sony will be over the moon.

Hellboy against TDKR is the best comparison? Give me a fucking break! It was its 2nd weekend for fucks sake! If it was its 3rd weekend, the drop would have been under 65% (The Sun-Sun drop was 65.8%).IMO better comparisons are Hancock and TF3 which dropped 56.2% and 54.7% against TDK and DH2 respectively. They both were in their third weekends after their extended openings.Now TDKR, if it is much bigger than TDK and DH2 will undoubtedly hurt TASM more, but not to the 70% extent. A drop around or under 60% seems more reasonable.

I think the drop will depend on how wide TDKR opens. Based on screen allocation in some key plexes I have seen so far, its on course for a record screen count(12-13K). I doubt there will be that much spillover if its that wide(or TDKR numbers will be off the chart).I am thinking 62% drop for ASM.55% for Ted.IA4/Brave/MM drops around 50%.

BO.com lists TASM total budget at 305M. TASM will be a success for Sony, there's no way around it. When you factor in ancillary revenues, Sony will be over the moon.

Total budget for TASM is 430M (230M+200M). BO's 305M is 230M PB + DOM P&A.

no it won't enough of this nonsense. Fox went ahead and greenlit an X-Men First Class sequel and that made 355m on a 160m production budget and you are telling me Sony is going to have hesitation about an ASM sequel?

The ability of X-Men franchise to survive and endure always amases me. Neither Wolferine, nor FC were profitable at the box office, not even with home video, TV and streaming revenues included. I assume Fox owns merchandising rights to this property, there is no other way to explain why the sequels are still being made.But Sony as we found out doesn't get merchandising revenues from Spider Man.

I'd like to see proof that most tentpoles have 150 mill marketing budgets. Where are you guys getting these figures from?