Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

When things settle down I think people will see this as another example of the 'trilogy curse' that we see so often nowadays. I think it's just too tough to come up with three great films with the same creative team. I've seen 'first film is good, second film is GREAT, third film kind of sucks' too many times now. First three Spider-man films, the X-Men films, Original Star Wars trilogy (although this goes WAY back of course and Jedi wasn't TERRIBLE)...and now Nolan's Batman films.

Ehh, there are many contrary examples to this "curse"...and for what it's worth, RotJ is a fairly adored film and TDKR is well on its way to a similar fate.

I don't really mind his antics that often but I'm really glad BKB isn't here tonight. He will make this all about TDKR failing to exceed Avengers despite higher midnights and blah blah blah and tonight is not the night for that. I don't give a shit if this outopens Avengers today or not (from the looks of it, it won't). And I say this as the gopher who has followed box office all of his life and anticipated TDKR more than any other movie in film history.

There's a great line in Margaret (a film you guys should all see, especially this weekend) that goes- "You have the right to falsify your own life, but you have no right to falsify anyone else's. It's what turns people into Nazis." I can't bring myself to use this shooting as a means of determining TDKR's success. Just as I couldn't point to Ledger's death and say that's what drove TDK's success, because that feels icky and rightfully so. Responding to this event shouldn't be as trivial as discussing the impact on its box office.

Did you actually see Margaret? I

Yep...you got me....I think Nolanites are looking for excuses. Cause gawd knows you have to pick a side in things like this and if the awesomeness that is Batman doesn't beat The Avengers we're all going to commit seppuko on our batarangs...

Are you BKB?

If this performs really different for the rest of the weekend (Saturday in particular), then I will say the shooting had BIG affect on Friday. As of now, I don't think the shooting is having a massive affect on the Friday number..I also believe if it is affected, then the OW would be the only thing that would show it. People that want to see this will make their way to theater eventually.

• Like 1

Yep...you got me....I think Nolanites are looking for excuses. Cause gawd knows you have to pick a side in things like this and if the awesomeness that is Batman doesn't beat The Avengers we're all going to commit seppuko on our batarangs...

When you look at twitter, do you see a lot of people saying they're not going to see it because their buddy at midnight claimed it sucked? No, most the apprehension is because of the shooter. Edited by tribefan695

When things settle down I think people will see this as another example of the 'trilogy curse' that we see so often nowadays. I think it's just too tough to come up with three great films with the same creative team. I've seen 'first film is good, second film is GREAT, third film kind of sucks' too many times now. First three Spider-man films, the X-Men films, Original Star Wars trilogy (although this goes WAY back of course and Jedi wasn't TERRIBLE)...and now Nolan's Batman films.

Nolan came through with this movie. I would say BB was very good, TDK and TDKR were great. TDKR wasn't as good as TA, but Nolan did make a great film. This will get great WOM.My personal rankings of all the great superhero movies I have seen:1) TA2) TDK3) IM 2 and CA: The First Avenger ( i still can't decide)5) IM6) Superman 27) TDKRThose are the only superhero movies that I personally feel were truly great.

It's looking that way.I must say I'm somewhat surprised and disappointed at the Friday number. Sequels tend to be frontloaded but it seems the shooting has dampened enthusiasm for the movie.I just felt that with all the sell out reports we got here that the TDKR would have done more on Friday.

How many times does it have to be proven?Sell outs don't mean squat.

When you look at twitter, do you see a lot of people saying they're not going to see it because their buddy at midnight claimed it sucked? No, most the apprehension is because of the shooter.

Out of curiousity, is there actually apprehension about going to the theater as a result of the shooting on media outlets such as twitter/FB? I have seen plenty of references from friends to the tragic shooting, but all have commented on its sadness rather than any effect on their plans to see the film. Edited by nAlkaline

What theatre security? Honestly, I've never been to a theatre in the US but all the ones I've been to in Australia/UK/France/Italy/etc have had no security at all. A small confined space with a huge crowd of relaxed people and not many accessible exits, It's the perfect opportunity for a cowardly sociopath to execute a plan like this. I've been paranoid about this kind of thing ever since that hostage incident in Russia in 2002, I've always thought it was only a matter of time before something like this happened in America.

Wow. I'm really surprised. Here, our theaters are inside the malls. The malls have guards and the theaters inside also have guards.

I don't understand the love for the Avengers. I thought it was really good, and I saw it twice, but its inferior to the first IM, the first two SM, and TDK IMO. I think a strong case could be made BB is better also.It was good, just don't see the #1 hype to it.But then again I don't let grosses determine my favorites, so perhaps that's where I am off?

• Like 2

Out of curiousity, is there actually apprehension about going to the theater as a result of the shooting on media outlets such as twitter/FB? I have seen plenty of references from friends to the tragic shooting, but all have commented on its sadness rather than any effect on their plans to see the film.

Certainly I feel apprehensive about going. I probably will go anyway tomorrow, but it's something that's just in the back of the mind. I know redfirebird was having some doubts and he's as big of a Batman fan as it gets.

Or maybe I'm simply basing that claim on the fact that CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, etc have been running this story all day. And they have referenced the movie every 5 minutes, they've questioned the safety of theatres this weekend because of it and have went over the guy saying he was the joker. How those stories reaching millions of viewers all afternoon and evening does not affect box office is silly to say. Would it have come close to matching TA? Not at all, either way. One of the two biggest shootings in American history tied directly to this movie doesn't affect it... Right. How that makes me a nolanite looking for excuses is stupid.
  • Like 2

Wow. I'm really surprised. Here, our theaters are inside the malls. The malls have guards and the theaters inside also have guards.

Pretty much all major theatres here are in shopping centres too, but I've never seen any conspicuous security. It might be there, maybe I've just never noticed it.

I don't understand the love for the Avengers. I thought it was really good, and I saw it twice, but its inferior to the first IM, the first two SM, and TDK IMO. I think a strong case could be made BB is better also.It was good, just don't see the #1 hype to it.But then again I don't let grosses determine my favorites, so perhaps that's where I am off?

What does grosses have to do with where people rank a movie?