Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

This.No lighting in bottle this july.Could the movie be too depressed/dark for people's taste this summer?

The trailers were unitenteresting and the bad guy bland (and from what i've read....boy does this movie have some shitty twists) . They should have gone with a serious version of penguin or ,even better, the riddler .(now getting a charismatic actor to play the riddler could have given this film a joker-like BO draw) .

Not much.

So the death of an actor that gave a great performance months before the film premiered made TDK huge, but the shooting of 12 people watching TDKR at midnight did nothing to disuade people from going to see it?This is so frustratingly obvious.
  • Like 1

That's nonsense. Why weren't the midnights effected by no Joker/Ledger? Midnights made nearly 12M yet OD will only be 3M more.

Because midnight grosses get bigger in general. Look at how they went up for Harry Potter for instance.

It has zero chance at 500 mill. Absolutely 0.

Slim, yes - but I would never bet against a Nolan film from reaching a 3X multiplier. 3 * 165 = 495The shooting may have just caused people to wait to see the movie, and if so, it will have great legs. But if it is just bad WOM as you are suggesting, then $400-450m is more in play.

So the death of an actor that gave a great performance months before the film premiered made TDK huge

Again, not just the death but the Joker being the villain. Both biggest Batman films have the Joker as the villain.

So the death of an actor that gave a great performance months before the film premiered made TDK huge, but the shooting of 12 people watching TDKR at midnight did nothing to disuade people from going to see it?This is so frustratingly obvious.

There was a shooting on Reloaded's first weekend. 3 or 4 people died then too. Did anyone use that as an excuse as to why Reloaded didn't open higher? Nope. And the reason they didn't is because it already opened pretty high. If Avengers had not done what it did, a 170-180 OW would be considered good. Now your expectations are completely out of what because another film did 200 mill OW aided by 3D.

Slim, yes - but I would never bet against a Nolan film from reaching a 3X multiplier. 3 * 165 = 495The shooting may have just caused people to wait to see the movie, and if so, it will have great legs. But if it is just bad WOM as you are suggesting, then $400-450m is more in play.

I'm not saying it will have bad WOM, many people love it. But it won't have stellar WOM needed to hit a 3X off a record 2D opening.

Again, not just the death but the Joker being the villain. Both biggest Batman films have the Joker as the villain.

But you're completely forgetting that the people watching the film DIED. They were shot to death. Surely some people thought twice about going to the movies this weekend because of that.

People are coming up with theories, but I think it's really simple. The shooting had a massive effect. That's it.

Sorry, don't buy it. People get shot, killed, massacred all the time in the US. Why would this be any different?

There was a shooting on Reloaded's first weekend. 3 or 4 people died then too. Did anyone use that as an excuse as to why Reloaded didn't open higher? Nope. And the reason they didn't is because it already opened pretty high. If Avengers had not done what it did, a 170-180 OW would be considered good. Now your expectations are completely out of what because another film did 200 mill OW aided by 3D.

Please stop.

People are coming up with theories, but I think it's really simple. The shooting had a massive effect. That's it.

Probably, but $200m wasn't possible, even without this tragedy.

The trailers were unitenteresting and the bad guy bland (and from what i've read....boy does this movie have some shitty twists) . They should have gone with a serious version of penguin or ,even better, the riddler .(now getting a charismatic actor to play the riddler could have given this film a joker-like BO draw) .

Would be great if you see it first.
  • Like 2