Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

You can't linearly extrapolate from these numbers. Big theater chains are the first to report and they are the ones that are doing big business. The 400 remaining theaters may be 3-6 screen types and their business may be much lower. Leave projections to the people who do it every day for a living.

I'd figure the big multiplexes would be the ones people would be more likely to avoid right now.

Batman 89' was a huge record setting event movie. I remember 1989, and Batman was everywhere that year. Me and all of my friends saw Batman 89' numerous times both in the theater and on VHS. As for Batman Returns, I don't think its dark tone was to blame for it making less. I think the villians were a bit of a let down from Nicholson's Joker. People seem to forget how well received Nicholson's performance was. Many believed that his performance carried the movie and was what made it so popular.The more that I think about it, the more I see history repeating itself with TDKR. It is ironic that TDKR like Batman Returns has Catwoman in it, and they are both sequels to a Batman film featuring the Joker as the main villain.

• Like 2

Batman 89' was a huge record setting event movie. I remember 1989, and Batman was everywhere that year. Me and all of my friends saw Batman 89' numerous times both in the theater and on VHS. As for Batman Returns, I don't think its dark tone was to blame for it making less. I think the villians were a bit of a let down from Nicholson's Joker. People seem to forget how well received Nicholson's performance was. Many believed that his performance carried the movie and was what made it so popular.The more that I think about it, the more I see history repeating itself with TDKR. It is ironic that TDKR like Batman Returns has Catwoman in it, and they are both sequels to a Batman film featuring the Joker as the main villain.

Great, so now whenever someone reboots Batman the execs are going to be saying "Don't use Catwoman. She's poison" Edited by tribefan695

I've always been lukewarm on Bale's Batman performance but after "Rises" I think he did a good job overall over the trilogy. I still think Keaton did it the best but Bale was good. But that voice, it makes me laugh all the time. "WHERE IS SHEEEEEEEEEEE" , lol.

It isn't? Those are the ones showing at the most theaters.

I have no idea what you are talking about. In most towns and cities, big theater chains have cornered the entire market and people don't really have much choice outside the big theater chains. You have niche, small theaters here and there but most people prefer big multiplexes because of the convenience - online ticketing, closer to home etc.

I have no idea what you are talking about. In most towns and cities, big theater chains have cornered the entire market and people don't really have much choice outside the big theater chains. You have niche, small theaters here and there but most people prefer big multiplexes because of the convenience - online ticketing, closer to home etc.

But why would smaller theaters be doing less business if they're showing The Dark Knight Rises? I figure anyone that is close to one in a big city would certainly choose that over the big guys right now. Edited by tribefan695

I've always been lukewarm on Bale's Batman performance but after "Rises" I think he did a good job overall over the trilogy. I still think Keaton did it the best but Bale was good. But that voice, it makes me laugh all the time. "WHERE IS SHEEEEEEEEEEE" , lol.

Bale was great in Rises. I'm increasingly disappointed people seem to be overlooking his performance after Hathaway pleasantly surprised, since he carried the entire film. When he wasn't onscreen I wanted him back as soon as possible. Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Batman 89' was a huge record setting event movie. I remember 1989, and Batman was everywhere that year. Me and all of my friends saw Batman 89' numerous times both in the theater and on VHS.

I'll never forget that Diet Coke commercial with Alfred on the VHS. Classic!

But why would smaller theaters be doing less business if they're showing The Dark Knight Rises?

They do less business because they are smaller theaters ,Fewer and smaller screens = less money. Are you just trolling now?

Batman 89' was a huge record setting event movie. I remember 1989, and Batman was everywhere that year. Me and all of my friends saw Batman 89' numerous times both in the theater and on VHS. As for Batman Returns, I don't think its dark tone was to blame for it making less. I think the villians were a bit of a let down from Nicholson's Joker. People seem to forget how well received Nicholson's performance was. Many believed that his performance carried the movie and was what made it so popular.

The more that I think about it, the more I see history repeating itself with TDKR. It is ironic that TDKR like Batman Returns has Catwoman in it, and they are both sequels to a Batman film featuring the Joker as the main villain.

Nolan payed homage to "Batman Returns" with the masquerade ball scene and the Catwoman in Snow scene also Bane being the sewers like Penguin was.

Posted Image

Edited by filmscholar

They do less business because they are smaller theaters ,Fewer and smaller screens = less money. Are you just trolling now?

I was under the impression that you thought they were somehow more negatively impacted (percentage-based) by the shooting than the big chain theaters, which didn't make sense to me because the shooting happened at a big chain theater. Edited by tribefan695

Nikki's reports is spot on however Rentrak only counted 4000 theatres for TDKR. Now I have absolutely no clue what percantage that remaining 10% is coming from. Puerto Rico, Virgin Island, dunno. If the Sunday hold is great it can do north 160m. However it collapsed in Canada on Saturday for some reason.

Bale was great in Rises. I'm increasingly disappointed people seem to be overlooking his performance after Hathaway pleasantly surprised, since he carried the entire film. When he wasn't onscreen I wanted him back as soon as possible.

Completely agree. This was his best performance in the trilogy.

It s not Bale, it s the sound designer you have beef with.