Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Given that the shooting pretty much destroyed walkup sales today, 80 is fine. We'll never know what could have happened today in an alternate world where this didn't happen, but it doesn't matter, it did.My theater sold out a bunch of shows tonight (they were playing it every 20-30 minutes) but not as much as Avengers. More like DH2.

Awaits statistical evidence to back up this claim in the upper portion.So walk up were down....and yet, your theater sold out a bunch of shows.So which is it. Impacted things negatively or not? Can't have it both ways.

Oh, the diehards are planting their excuses already.

"It would've beaten TA and even AVTR....but that shooting cost it $300m!"

Right. STFU. All the quotes from theater owners, Nikki's sources, common sense, and elsewhere indicate this has had no measurable B.O. effect. Traditionally speaking, any publicity is good publicity, and so it can be argued that this could BOOST business. WE DON'T KNOW.

Awaits statistical evidence to back up this claim in the upper portion.So walk up were down....and yet, your theater sold out a bunch of shows.So which is it. Impacted things negatively or not? Can't have it both ways.

Yes you can. Presales are the only thing stopping this number from being 10M lower than it is.

Oh, the diehards are planting their excuses already.

"It would've beaten TA and even AVTR....but that shooting cost it $300m!"

Right. STFU. All the quotes from theater owners, Nikki's sources, common sense, and elsewhere indicate this has had no measurable B.O. effect. Traditionally speaking, any publicity is good publicity, and so it can be argued that this could BOOST business. WE DON'T KNOW.

I've never said anywhere it was going to beat TA, let alone Avatar. My prediction for the weekend was 190-195, and I still think that was perfectly realistic. If I had turned out wrong, I would have been on the low side. I can sort of understand your point about publicity, but that would really only happen in the long run. Right now, there is no way people are going to have the initiative to go to the cinema on such a somber day.

If I had to throw out a number, it would be at least 5M, closer to 10M.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. Let's see if it posts some stronger than expected holds over the next few weeks to substantiate or invalidate the presence of the shooter effect.

You pull anymore stupid bullshit out of your ass? You have no clue what you're talking about, you're just making this shit up.

The 10M is a placeholder but it's objectively true that presales helped business today. Sorry.

I'd just like to say that I'm really impressed with the way WB has handled this tragedy. Nolan's statement was pure class, canceling the Paris premiere and press calls was definitely the right decision, and editing TDKR + GS trailers is a move that's both sensitive and smart. They've been put in such a tricky predicament because they will be forever associated with this incident, even though they are 100% not to blame for it, and I think the decisions they've made so far reflect an admirable amount of class and sensitivity. I'm an atheist so I'm not the praying kind, but my thoughts are with the victims and their families, and also those who witnessed the shooting. I'll be seeing TDKR later tonight and I'm still incredibly excited, but what happened in Colorado will not be far form my mind.

• Like 1

I don't know why people here are assuming it's not having good WOM, the film is beyond awesome and all people I've talked to who went to midnight and early morning screenings loved it, and said they're going again

• Like 2

Well depending on where it ends up at...say 170m, I think that would indicate an effect given how strongly the film was tracking, and only seemed to be getting even more buzz as the week went on.

The 10M is a placeholder but it's objectively true that presales helped business today. Sorry.

Yes, presales. You seemed to be implying that you know walk-ups were down (from what they would've been in some parallel universe or whatever). Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

it is saying on the news now that the killer was "inspired by Batman scene".

There's no question he was. That was stated on the news early this morning, when the cops revealed he called himself the Joker and was wearing Joker clothing (beneath his clothing that looked like a murderous thug....I mean, a SWAT costume.)

Seems to me that box office wasn't affected much by the shooting.

Make no mistake, box office will most definitely be affected. Not just for TDKR, but for all movies in the near future. People are afraid to go to the cinemas now. In time the fear will subside, but for now it's definitely going to make an impact. Edited by candycane

I don't know why people here are assuming it's not having good WOM, the film is beyond awesome and all people I've talked to who went to midnight and early morning screenings loved it, and said they're going again

While I agree that the film will indeed have good WOM, the midnight/early morning crowd presents self-selecting bias. People going to see this movie on opening day are more likely that the average audience to be the most ardent Batman/Nolan fans, so excellent WOM is to be expected. The WOM of the more casual crowd is what will propel this movie to greater (or not) heights in terms of BO performance. Edited by nAlkaline
  • Like 1

Speaking of news reports: predictably, they've hidden the audio of the cops refusing to go into the theater when the murderer was killing people and the screams and gunfire could easily be heard on his walkie-talkie.The mainstream media will call the cops heroes. But if you're reading this, just remember what the cops actually did when it mattered: nothing. (NOTE: This was the exact same thing at Columbine.)No more ranting on that, I promise.