Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

This incident has been a field day for the media...massacre by a seemingly intelligent individual at a highly anticipated event. It's exploitative journalism at the finest...news networks only dream about stories this enticing. They'll make it into a circus as long as possible.

It practically makes the yellow journalism in Citizen Kane look tame. :P

I think RTHs latest update shows a few things.#1- The effect of the shooting may have an effect, but it appears to be a pretty minor one#2- TDKR is simply underperforming expectations#3- Heath Ledger's death had not as much impact on TDKs gross as haters would have us believe#4- People simply overestimated TDKRs capabalitiesI certainly got burnt by #4. I way overpredicted for the film, thinking $210m. I thought we'd even see a ridiculous hold (strong increase minus midnights from Fri to offset lost business from the tragedy etc), but I don't think that's really the case any more.Finally, I find none of this important this weekend. What a messed up weekend.

How was mike?

Fun. Tatum's a real movie star. The head of WB's daughter stars in it, though, and she's a truly terrible actress. Kristen Stewart has more range than her. Though this teenager in the row behind me kept saying "Oh.. em... gee" every time anyone showed any skin. Which were a lot of times. That was annoying.

Well the shows during the day were busier then Yesterday but its no TA....

Definitely no TA, the Scotiabank Vancouver had every single Saturday show sold out by noon for TA.

Well the shows during the day were busier then Yesterday but its no TA....

TDKR probably wasn't going to be as huge with family crowds anyway, regardless of the shooting. Still, if there is one theater going demographic that would be depressed because of it, then it would be the family crowd.

I understand the "No Numbers" for the weekend approach. WB and other studios don't want to focus on money when there is this huge of a tradegy.

But by monday, it will be good to focus on money, right? :rolleyes:

"Definitely no TA, the Scotiabank Vancouver had every single Saturday show sold out by noon for TA."Saturday was by far the busiest day I can ever recall in the box office here in Canada.Only thing close was Spider Man 3 Saturday...

Fun. Tatum's a real movie star. The head of WB's daughter stars in it, though, and she's a truly terrible actress. Kristen Stewart has more range than her.

Though this teenager in the row behind me kept saying "Oh.. em... gee" every time anyone showed any skin. Which were a lot of times. That was annoying.

:rofl: that happened with my showing too, we had 2 teenage girls in the row behind us, who were giving an audio commentary on the whole movie. And then at the end they said, "Oh, it's actually a real movie? With a story?" It was seriously like WTF.

#1- The effect of the shooting may have an effect, but it appears to be a pretty minor one

I think it's an indisputably major effect that will cast a veil over TDKR's entire run. Plenty of curious potential viewers may not bother to show up at all now. But like you I can't bring myself to care about its box office.
  • Like 1

I think RTHs latest update shows a few things.#1- The effect of the shooting may have an effect, but it appears to be a pretty minor one#2- TDKR is simply underperforming expectations#3- Heath Ledger's death had not as much impact on TDKs gross as haters would have us believe#4- People simply overestimated TDKRs capabalitiesI certainly got burnt by #4. I way overpredicted for the film, thinking $210m. I thought we'd even see a ridiculous hold (strong increase minus midnights from Fri to offset lost business from the tragedy etc), but I don't think that's really the case any more.Finally, I find none of this important this weekend. What a messed up weekend.

It wouldn't be underperforming expectations if they were kept in check to begin with. A lot of people failed to see the ceiling of a Batman movie without the Joker or 3D. I would debate your third point but that's a moot argument at this juncture.

Watch this if you want to piss your pants laughing. A hilarious prank by a couple who pretend to be blind while drinking champagne and eating chocolate strawberries. Edited by Noctis

210m was out there. I don't think 190m was ever an unrealistic scenario. 180m should have happened.