Punishment

7/20-22 Weekend Actuals TDKR 160,887,295

Of course it's a big deal.

Weren't you downplaying THG opening too?

I've had just about enough of your nonsense this weekend, Potter.

Posted Image

I want to like this 100 times because the gif matches the last sentence perfectly. Edited by Moviefanatic

I've been intentionally not commenting on the BO this weekend, partly because I felt any kind of discussion would be absolutely moot in the presence of such an unprecedented tragedy, but mostly because said tragedy had such a deep effect on me. I'll get some of the thoughts I've kept to myself down now:The Aurora shooting's effect on the BO is likely impossible to fully gauge for the moment, but just looking at the holdovers, the effect was absolutely enormous, bigger than any other single event I can recall. On that note, I just want to say that I'm quite frustrated with how many users I saw talking about how "ridiculous" it was that people were afraid to go to the theaters, when that's not entirely what happened. I won't deny that some people were afraid (and to be honest, that's a completely reasonable reaction), but I think the biggest reason why audiences didn't show up was because of the same way I felt: films are supposed to be escapism from life for various reasons, and in this case, going to the movies was a stark reminder of the horrible act that happened in Aurora. It's absolutely understandable and not in the least bit "stupid."In regards to just how much of an effect this had, again, I think it's completely unquantifiable, and may remain that way forever. Holdovers were annihilated in a way that doesn't even correspond to TDKR breaking the OW under "normal" circumstances, and whatever effect there was on the holdovers is even more pronounced for TDKR. But... it just seems so pointless to discuss it, especially in the context of saying "Well, of course it wouldn't break the OW record with these numbers!" That's so goddamned ridiculous, not just because of what I've stated prior, but (intentionally or not) you're trivializing the shooting AND using it to justify your predictions. I'm not going to make any claims that it would have broken the OW record or not, and no one else should.Lastly, I'm not sure when the BO will recover (or even if it fully will for the films this weekend), but given TDKR's Sunday hold, it seems like that we're already on our way. Hopefully, we'll see some very positive things in the next weeks for all.

• Like 3

Well I still don't feel like predicting though for next week...I just am not in the mood for it.My top 3 films of the year so far are-TDKR, Avengers and Brave.

Well I still don't feel like predicting though for next week...I just am not in the mood for it.

I don't really do weekly predictions anymore anyway, but I understand how you feel. I hope it gets better, but I don't want to expect it to. Edited by tribefan695

It's kind of funny how 160.8m is a dissappointing number for some people. Is it that big of a deal that it made 160M and not 180M? It still had no chance of breaking any records....

Ugh, I hate this. Of course it did. I'm not sure why you think Potter is some kind of invincible force in the US.