CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

It's kind of strange since you'd think they'd use the 7-month delay on this movie to fix story issues but nope... who cares? It's cute, silly and will make Universal lots of money.

This is why I'm super glad IO is going to have a terrific OW. Because at least people are proving to equally enjoy animation with passion and hard work that shows along with the silly stuff that can't even try to muster up a good story.

Sigh, I hope Illumination finds their own Dragon or KFP someday... someday...

I think Illumination's problem is that they're too safe. DWA found out the hard way what putting out mediocre films does to your brand. The Lego Movie was $68m but that was very inventive with a good story so it's not like budget limitations are an issue to storytelling . They have Pets and the untitled Garth Jennings film next year and I hope they can prove they're not solely relying on DM Edited by Jonwo

I think Illumination's problem is that they're too safe. DWA found out the hard way what putting out mediocre films does to your brand. The Lego Movie was $68m but that was very inventive with a good story so it's not like budget limitations are an issue to storytelling . They have Pets and the untitled Garth Jennings film next year and I hope they can prove they're not solely relying on DM

Going by the teaser, I am honestly expecting 300M+ for Pets. 

• Like 1

‘Minions’ Grabs $12M In Four Markets – Intl Box Office

UPDATED, Saturday, 9:00 AM: Minions bowed in four international markets this week and has so far collected $12M in 615 runs. The Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment animated film opened No. 1 everywhere except for Australia where it was No. 2 to Universal’s Jurassic World, which is on track stateside to gross around $100M+ for the weekend. In Malaysia, it not only opened to No. 1 but opened 72% bugger than Despicable Me 2 and logged the highest opening day of all time for an animated film in the country ahead of Kung Fu Panda and Toy Story 3. In Singapore, Minions debuted to a No. 2 slot behind Jurassic World, but opened 32% higher than DM2 which bowed on the same date in 2013.

Six more markets open next weekend: Brazil, New Zealand, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, and the U.K. and Ireland.

http://deadline.com/...ice-1201448427/

• Like 1

I think Illumination's problem is that they're too safe. DWA found out the hard way what putting out mediocre films does to your brand. The Lego Movie was $68m but that was very inventive with a good story so it's not like budget limitations are an issue to storytelling . They have Pets and the untitled Garth Jennings film next year and I hope they can prove they're not solely relying on DM

Lego Movie did have some shortcuts that were basically a given that allowed them to cut back on costs (and of course 5 minutes of straight live-action), and Lord and Miller are two extremely talented dudes which also helps.

Illumination is built upon what clicked with audiences with DM: adorable, silly and safe. That's all there is to it.

Edited by goldenstate5

The early reviews are not bad but not very enthusiastic...IO breaking out could also hurt this.

Despicable Me 2 didn't have amazing reviews but still did 370M. And that was competing with Monsters University. Minions will be fine.

Except Minions isn't DM2

I love Minions in DM movies but I think the best thing in this animated franchise is the relationship between Gru and the three little girls. So 90 minutes entirely dedicated to the yellow banana lovers could be pretty boring at the end.

• Like 2

I love Minions in DM movies but I think the best thing in this animated franchise is the relationship between Gru and the three little girls. So 90 minutes entirely dedicated to the yellow banana lovers could be pretty boring at the end.

That's exactly what I feel about Minions (the film). This film sorely missed Gru, without him it went boring fast. I totally love the minions as sidekicks, not so much as the main characters except maybe for Bob, he is so cute.

Edited by Geraldino
  • Like 1