CJohn

Minions | 7.10.2015 | Crosses 1 BILLION Worldwide. Beats Toy Story 3 on the all-time chart.

The notion that ST3 is competition for anything, let alone a billion dollar family franchise, is laughable.

The Secret Life of Pets is not a billion dollar family franchise. It's "from the makers of" a billion dollar family franchise, which is very much not the same thing. Consider, for instance, the varied successes and failures that came "from the makers of" Shrek.

• Like 1

Wow!

MINIONS: $714.2M Overseas Total / $1.0438B Global Total #Minions

Next week MINIONS will beat TOY STORY 3 to become higher than ANY animation film EVER released by PIXAR, DREAM WORKS, BLU SKY, SONY and DISNEY with the 1 exception of FROZEN and will become the second highest animated film of all time

Chances of beating FROZEN are still unlikely unless it explodes in China with 200m, so it will likely remain second all time (with 1.07 billion without China) but still making Illumination's DESPICABLE ME the ONLY current franchise with 2 films in the TOP 5 ANIMATED FILMS of all time (Minions and DM2), and the HIGHEST EVER ANIMATED FRANCHISE in history in terms of average grosses per film (800+ per film), beating Shrek and Shrek by a mile.

• Like 1

The Secret Life of Pets is gonna do stupid amounts of money.

Against Ice Age and Dory? Those two alone will dominate OS, I think Pets moving into summer was an unwise move by Universal, to expect Minion or DM numbers is unrealistic especially in a year with tons of animated films with talking animals.

And it has China as an advantage.... ^_^

We just never know how much in China. :thinking:

So do Ice Age and Dory, China isn't exclusive to DWA and Universal you know...

$250m would require good legs and I don't see it with such heavy July competition, $150m+ would be a more realistic and still pretty good final domestic total

Edited by Jonwo

So do Ice Age and Dory, China isn't exclusive to DWA and Universal you know...

Yeah, but those are sequels...of course it's obvious that both of those juggernauts will do bigger than Pets, WW...no doubt.

And you said China isn't exclusive to Universal at all.....well, did you see how F7 & JW did this year? They did huge amount of money.

But if Pets is actually very good...it could co-exist....

I'm not gonna go huge on this......but i'll say around $450-500M WW.

New OS total - as of Monday - MINIONS officially passed ICE AGE 4 as the SECOND HIGHEST ANIMATED FILM OS EVER just behind FROZEN!

Domestic Box Office $329,774,550 Details
International Box Office $719,630,686 Details
Worldwide Box Office $1,049,405,236
Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 2

Pets could struggle a little OS against IA5 and Dory, but DOM it will clean up. The studio have easily cleared the 200m mark with all 4 releases, and 2 of those you could argue didn't even have very good WOM (Lorax/Minions). Next summer could be the first to have $1b+ DOM in animation grosses. 2010's and 2013's both hit over 900m. My current predicts:

Dory: 450

Pets: 320

IA5: 135

Angry Birds: 90

Kubo and the Two Strings: 45

• Like 1

Pets could struggle a little OS against IA5 and Dory, but DOM it will clean up. The studio have easily cleared the 200m mark with all 4 releases, and 2 of those you could argue didn't even have very good WOM (Lorax/Minions). Next summer could be the first to have $1b+ DOM in animation grosses. 2010's and 2013's both hit over 900m. My current predicts:

Dory: 450

Pets: 320

IA5: 135

Angry Birds: 90

Kubo and the Two Strings: 45

Agree on Pets. I believe Dory might do a bit less. IA5 on par with 130-140.