Punishment

8/3-5 Weekend Actuals TDKR $35,737,330

I guess 3 boobs wasnt enough to top Batman.

Total recall now has my permission to die.

Meanwhile... The Bourne Legacy Starts off RT with 3 rotten reviews to 1 positive.

The Bourne Legacy's punishment must be more severe.

(prob not)

I was about to say TR isn't that bad, but then a line from Ted popped into my head...

"The fact you have to say it's not that bad means it is that bad".

Finally, the legs of Rises are starting to show up, after weeks of very strong WOM. The latest NRG tracking data has been saying that about 20% of moviegoers are still nervous about going to the cinema. Excellent hold for Rises, better than The Dark Knight's 3rd weekend, despite the fact that a lot of US families are still too afraid to watch Rises in theaters. That is a very excellent Sunday hold for Rises.Also totally pathetic performance for Recall. Not that anything else was expected. Really embarassing for Sony to fudge the film's OW. The OW is simply way too close to the 1990 original for it not to be fudged. This is just one embarrassment after another for Sony this year at the box office.Wimpy's odd OW performance is proof for us that many US families are still afraid of going to theaters.

I wouldn't think it possible to brag about how well a movie is doing and claim it is being neglected by moviegoers at the same time....but here it is. :P

I love how ACCA says families are still afraid to come out to theatres because Wimpy did not so great. But he neglects to mention that IA4 and Brave had very tiny drops. Families are there. Maybe Wimpy has just run out of steam.

• Like 1

I love how ACCA says families are still afraid to come out to theatres because Wimpy did not so great. But he neglects to mention that IA4 and Brave had very tiny drops. Families are there. Maybe Wimpy has just run out of steam.

Why would Ace Age start dropping hard NOW? It already took a big hit when TDKR opened. Films in general are still in recovery mode.

The difference between this Wimpy and previous Wimpy openings (30%) is the extent to which the family audiences have been affected by the shooting.

We don't know. The only thing we have is our opinion. Nobody can say for sure anything about the effect of the Aurora shooting.

It's just kind of weird that Wimpy would go from 22 million to 24 million to 14 million when the books haven't lost their traction. And Wimpy 1/2 faced holdover competition of their own (Alice, Rango). Now I doubt these are the same families that would have gone to TDKR, but I think this is more than just franchise fatigue.

• Like 1

Because it's ridiculous to think otherwise?

What is ridiculous about knowing that non-stop free publicity for a movie will result in some people going to see it that would not have otherwise?It's speculation either way. There are no doubt people who did not attend movies because of the shootings. But there are also no doubt people who were attracted to TDKR specifically because of the attention. The first would negatively effect all movies (something there is no evidence for) the second would positively effect only one movie (something there is no evidence for).

Why would Ace Age start dropping hard NOW? It already took a big hit when TDKR opened. Films in general are still in recovery mode.

The difference between this Wimpy and previous Wimpy openings (30%) is the extent to which the family audiences have been affected by the shooting.

Or maybe Wimpy 2 wasn't all that liked.

Maybe there is family film fatigue now.

Maybe Wimpy just isn't that well liked anymore.

Wimpy 1 had a 2.9X. Wimpy 2 had a 2.4X. So it looks like the second film wasn't as liked as the first.....maybe that could have something to do with why this one didn't do as well.

There are half a dozen reasons why Wimpy 3 would open to less than the others, and none of them have anything to do with families not wanting to go to the theater.

Funny, I don't remember a shooting when Alvin 3 opened to half of what Alvin 2 did. Where were those excuses then?

Edited by The Amazing baumerman
  • Like 1

What is ridiculous about knowing that non-stop free publicity for a movie will result in some people going to see it that would not have otherwise?

It's the wrong type of publicity, if anything it would've repelled.

Top 12 theatres engagement (gets published in Variety)wkend 3-5/8 (MM Minimax, PI Proper Imax)1-AMC Lincoln Square 13, New York City NY PI 178,609(TDKR)2-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY MM 165,439(TDKR)3-AMC Metreon 16, San Francisco CA PI 133,010(TDKR)4-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto ON PI 122,601(TDKR)5-AMC Kips Bay 15, New York City NY MM 117,152(TDKR)6-Regal Union Square 14, New York City NY 111,405(TDKR)(TR #2 location)7-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY 107,815(TR)8-Regal Irvine Spectrum 21, Irvine CA PI 100,917(TDKR)9-AMC Boston Commons 19, Boston MA MM 99,463(TDKR)10-AMC Tysons Corner 16, Mclean VA MM 96,569(TDKR)11-CS Warren 14, Oklahoma City OK MM 91,873(TDKR)12-AMC Garden State 16, Paramus NJ M 89,723(TDKR)

• Like 1