CJohn

Weekend (8/10-12/12) Estimates: Bourne Legacy 40.3M; Campaign 27.4M; Hope Springs 15.6M

That is huge for Bourne, didn't think it would be able to overcome rebootitis but 48m would be amazing and huge for Universal which is having an even better year than last year.

That is huge for Bourne, didn't think it would be able to overcome rebootitis but 48m would be amazing and huge for Universal which is having an even better year than last year.

They still lost money in the first half of the year because...

Posted Image

Not so good of a year to them.

Didn't Inception have a B cinemascore? Shutter Island was a unique film with very mixed WOM which in the case of some films acts as an advantage, it forms into curiosity which can be as powerful as good WOM.TE2 will hurt it next weekend.

Didn't Inception have a B cinemascore? Shutter Island was a unique film with very mixed WOM which in the case of some films acts as an advantage, it forms into curiosity which can be as powerful as good WOM.TE2 will hurt it next weekend.

Inception was B+, but it had a generational split. Older people rated it really low (B-), while younger people rated it really high (A). The young people are what drove its WOM through the roof on Twitter and everywhere else.

"Finally, Sony Pictures opened Meryl Streep’s latest adult fare Hope Springs midweek to get out in front of this weekend’s clutter. Good strategy because it posted numbers bigger than the studio’s own Total Recall – $2.2M Wednesday and $2.1M Thursday. It’s doing $4M-$5M today and likely $12M this weekend for a possible cume near $165M. More later."

There is so much confusion here. I won't even try to understand this part.

She obviously means 16.5 for the 5 day. It's funny how many of you were saying that Hope Springs would reach 100 million total, and even boxoffice.com predicted 106 million total. Yet for Whitney, it's the opposite, many of you guys including boxoffice.com are predicting a big pathetic Total in the 35 million range for Sparkle, when Whitney averages 147 million per movie adjusted domestic. It was a nice thought to pick a non-action breakout film for the late summer, but you guys just picked the wrong movie... you'll see next week ;)

P.S: I don't want to disrespect Meryl Streep she is perhaps the most "talented" actress out there, but Whitney is a megastar with huge star power. Two different things. Quote this post! Anyways I guess I'm disappointed in the overall disrespect for Whitney, but her numbers will shut everyone up once and for all despite being played in only 2,200 theaters. I can't wait! :)

Edited by wboxoffice

Hope Springs would definitely get poor ratings from any younger people that saw it. I'm open to all kinds of movies and even recently loved Marigold Hotel, but even I couldn't pretend to relate at all to the story in Hope Springs. It's totally a movie for 50+ year old couples, period the end. So that could be driving its CS down a bit.

Edited by MovieMan89

She obviously means 16.5 for the 5 day. It's funny how many of you were saying that Hope Springs would reach 100 million total, and even boxoffice.com predicted 106 million total. Yet for Whitney, it's the opposite, many of you guys including boxoffice.com are predicting a big pathetic Total in the 35 million range for Sparkle, when Whitney averages 147 million per movie adjusted domestic. It was a nice thought to pick a non-action breakout film for the late summer, but you guys just picked the wrong movie... you'll see next week ;) P.S: I don't want to disrespect Meryl Streep she is perhaps the most "talented" actress out there, but Whitney is a megastar with huge star power. Two different things. Quote this post! Anyways I guess I'm disappointed in the overall disrespect for Whitney, but her numbers will shut everyone up once and for all despite being played in only 2,200 theaters. I can't wait! :)

......I wonder how Whitney the "megastar" feels like being a supporting player to someone like Jordin Sparks.

Sparkle was already cancelled OS in some markets. That isn't a good sign.

No Tyler Perry movie or even something like Think Like A Man has ever been released internationally, that's what happens for most black movies. The fact that Sparkle DOES have many OS dates scheduled (obviously because of Whitney) is actually a GOOD sign.