Gopher

Aug. 17-19, 2012 Studio Weekend Estimates (coming in...)

That wasn't what I was reading for weeks. It was always something else other then the effects of Aurora on box office. And now that there is plainly nothing else to lay blame on and it is movie that the other vocal segment was anticipating, it is only "shit happens?" Excuse me while I roll my eyes. :rolleyes:

If by excuses you read here such as: it was a remake no one wanted, or a sequel without it's main star, or critics got it off to a bad start those would all be much more believable than trying to spread Aurora out over every week ad nauseum.

Oh god not the OS argument again. WHAT PART OF HUGE OS EXPANSION IN THE LAST 4 YEARS DO SOME OF YOU NOT GET! Seriously STOP USING A FUCKING TRAGEDY TO HIDE BEHIND RIDICULOUS EXPECTATIONS THAT WERE NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!!! Goddammit this is starting to piss me off.

It's doing as well or better then TDK in markets that are well developed and without 3D

If by excuses you read here such as: it was a remake no one wanted, or a sequel without it's main star, or critics got it off to a bad start those would all be much more believable than trying to spread Aurora out over every week ad nauseum.

Funny, people's predictions said differently. And again, what is the excuse for Expendables?

Oh god not the OS argument again. WHAT PART OF HUGE OS EXPANSION IN THE LAST 4 YEARS DO SOME OF YOU NOT GET! Seriously STOP USING A FUCKING TRAGEDY TO HIDE BEHIND RIDICULOUS EXPECTATIONS THAT WERE NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!!! Goddammit this is starting to piss me off.

Yeah, most people get pissed off when they're wrong and can't admit it...and most people are not claiming "ridiculously high expectations" like $600m would have happened...but to say $500m still wouldn't have is a joke and totally wrong. Edited by FTF

It's been apparent since the day it happened that people outside the united states are completely out of touch with the event and its effect and impact on the box office here, etc.

I was in the States for an entire week since the attack happened. It was ALL over the news. So many people were talking about it and how nervous they were about going to the theaters.

But we do know some things. We know it wouldn't have made 200m+ on OW with an opening of $160m. I'm sorry but anyone who think otherwise is a disillusioned fanboy looking for an excuse. And what a pathetic and disgusting excuse they're using.

You know shit from 160m. It's pathetic and disgusting from you to use the 160m number when in fact the only number we have is the 30+m midnights. Which leaves the 200m question in limbo. The first reports were all mentioning 90m OD, so there you go. We'll never know. What we do know is that TDKR is a beast everywhere apart from US. And it opened above TDK's admission everywhere apart from US. All the openers disappointed since the shooting. Family films doing poorly. I'll leave it you to connect the dots.

Yeah, most people get pissed off when they're wrong and can't admit it...and most people are not claiming "ridiculously high expectations" like $600m would have happened...but to say $500m still wouldn't have is a joke and totally wrong.

Lol, I'm wrong and can't admit it? I'm not the one using a tragedy to hide behind my predictions that didn't come true. Fucking pathetic.

Name me a sequel to a huge blockbuster that hasn't increased OS in the last 5 years. It doesn't matter whatever the circumstance, BIG SEQUELS INCREASE OS!! Geez what the hell do some of you not get?

Men n Black 3 didn't from MIB.

Funny, people's predictions said differently. And again, what is the excuse for Expendables?

Is there an excuse. I keep telling you it doesn't exist.What it boils down to is some of us TE fanboys just over predicted based on our expectations and that proves nothing and is an excuse for nothing.It boils down to, sadly enough, the fact that MTC tracking has it about where it should've been so it's just another "opened within expected range" than it is a tragic opening due to outside forces.That's the last time I'm going to say it...tonight.

You know shit from 160m. It's pathetic and disgusting from you to use the 160m number when in fact the only number we have is the 30+m midnights. Which leaves the 200m question in limbo. The first reports were all mentioning 90m OD, so there you go. We'll never know. What we do know is that TDKR is a beast everywhere apart from US. And it opened above TDK's admission everywhere apart from US. All the openers disappointed since the shooting. Family films doing poorly. I'll leave it you to connect the dots.

You're the biggest TDKR fanboy on the goddamn planet if you think it had a shot in hell at $200m with that midnight. That midnight was the STONE COLD PROOF it was never coming close to 200m OW.

Every opener until TE2 has done exactly what was expected!!! Family films are doing fucking great, or have you not followed the holds of Brave and Ice Age since the shooting?

So I'll say it again STOP HIDING BEHIND A TRAGEDY BECAUSE YOU WERE WRONG.

Edited by MovieMan89

Lol, I'm wrong and can't admit it? I'm not the one using a tragedy to hide behind my predictions that didn't come true. Fucking pathetic.

Yeah, you are.To think TDKR lost only $20m from its run because of the shootings is ludicrous.

You're the biggest TDKR fanboy on the goddamn planet if you think it had a shot in hell at $200m with that midnight. That midnight was the STONE COLD PROOF it was never coming close to 200m OW.

That $30m easily locked $180m.
  • Like 1

Yeah, you are.To think TDKR lost only $20m from its run because of the shootings is ludicrous.

It's only "ludicrous" cause you Nolan-ites had to broaden your target after saying for months The Avengers would be lucky to open to $150m. You had to set a new bar to "reclaim the mantle" and that's the only reason for this notion of "ludicrous". The number would be as large as needed for you Nolan-ites to claim was needed to topple TA OW record.

That's what you don't get. No one is "using a tragedy to hide behind predictions." Tragedy changed box office. Case in point

expendables 2 is pacing a little better than bourne midnight at usual megaplex, paranorman a little weaker than wimpy kid sparkle about half {nm} notfabio on Aug 16, 21:36

i would however expect expendables to be a bigger midnight film than bourne and no i dont have mid # from first expend {nm} notfabio on Aug 16, 21:47

but there is definitely a post aurora large effect on midnight attend {nm} notfabio on Aug 16, 21:48

I mean i don't think think notfabio cares about TDKR numbers.

That's what you don't get. No one is "using a tragedy to hide behind predictions." Tragedy changed box office. Case in point

expendables 2 is pacing a little better than bourne midnight at usual megaplex, paranorman a little weaker than wimpy kid sparkle about half {nm} notfabio on Aug 16, 21:36

i would however expect expendables to be a bigger midnight film than bourne and no i dont have mid # from first expend {nm} notfabio on Aug 16, 21:47

but there is definitely a post aurora large effect on midnight attend {nm} notfabio on Aug 16, 21:48

I mean i don't think think notfabio cares about TDKR numbers.

Did I once say anything about it not affecting midnights? I'm sure there still is a certain stigma with midnights. That however has nothing to do with the overall box office.