Gopher

Aug. 17-19, 2012 Studio Weekend Estimates (coming in...)

If Bourne misses 100m we'll have zero films hitting 100m this month. When was the last time that August fail to produce a single 100m grosser? Surely it was more than a decade ago.

That's partially correct, TDKR will still make over $100m in August.

I know that there are many reasons for TE2 to disappoint, but at least it puts clear water to the glass and no one can deny the Aurora effect. We can find good explanation for every single film that underperformed and I'm not ignoring these facts, nor blaming everything on the shooting (clearly its not effecting TE2 hugely), but it's clear as daylight that the market as a whole is still in the recovering phase. If Bourne misses 100m we'll have zero films hitting 100m this month. When was the last time that August failed to produce a single 100m grosser? Surely it was more than a decade ago.

I tip my cap to you. :chaplin: Redemption from the haters.

Yikes Expendables, maybe Dexter of Suburbia's under 60m club will come true. A lot of people were giving him shit for it.

Na TE2 would need a New Moon bad multi to do that. Dex did get too much crap for his TE2 predicts though. But he shoulda made an under TE1 club. That could happen.

I know that there are many reasons for TE2 to disappoint, but at least it puts clear water to the glass and no one can deny the Aurora effect. We can find good explanation for every single film that underperformed and I'm not ignoring these facts, nor blaming everything on the shooting (clearly its not effecting TE2 hugely), but it's clear as daylight that the market as a whole is still in the recovering phase. If Bourne misses 100m we'll have zero films hitting 100m this month. When was the last time that August failed to produce a single 100m grosser? Surely it was more than a decade ago.

lol, yes Aurora had an effect but TDKR was never going to come close to TDK, get over it, Jesus.

So much for Whitney Houston being a super-duper-mega-uber movie star.

After early reports, on her own (cause there are no real other stars in her movie), she's doing half of Expendables 2 which has Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Norris, Van Damme, Willis and tons of other stars. And her movie is in 1,200 less theaters and has a 7 times smaller budget and much less promotion. I say, when you compare, Whitney is proving that she can pull in audiences. Her movie will already be profitable in a few days. Some people even had the nerve to compare "Sparkle" to "Glitter". Well Glitter grossed a total of 4 million. Sparkle is headed towards a 16 million on opening weekend alone, and who knows maybe more. When all is said and done, she will have no flops as all her movies did money. Many big stars have several movies that gross in single digits total, Sparkle is doing fine.However I was definitely bold with my thread, but so far she's beating many predictions too. I personally expected more theaters and promotion, but I'm still hoping the movie can cross 20 million opening weekend. But EXP2 is the real embarrassement so far, and it shows that if you make a 100 million budget movie with 10 huge stars, it can still do very modest. Whitney's numbers are very respectable considering her movie is not commerical oriented at all, but I do admit that my expectations were too high. But still, even in the report they say that it's a great number for Sparkle, cause they know without Whitney it would have done nothing and because they know the movie has a limited appeal. She produced and starred in a movie that she loved, and it's doing good.On that note, I'm off to see Sparkle in about an hour :) Hopefully all numbers will increase cause the box office definitely needs it. I see that Paranorman is already lower, too bad. Edited by wboxoffice
  • Like 1

What's with releasing weekend estimates this early? Can't they be more specific about Friday?

I agree...I don't need their crappy extrapolations, just give me the best Friday # you can.

It's about to get a helluva lot more boring. TE2 was the last high profile movie till November. Maybe Paranormal and Taken might give us 30m+ OWs between now and then, but that's about it.

Nah, I'm really interested to see how September and October go.

It's the movies themselves that deserve the most blame. Recall and Bourne Legacy, two of the most cynical movies of the year (a gutless reboot and a franchise pic made solely to keep the series warm for its main star), were supposed to be the biggest movies of the month. Hollywood can only blame themselves.