Gopher

Aug. 17-19, 2012 Studio Weekend Estimates (coming in...)

If Bourne stall in the 90-95M...When was the last time august didn't provide a 100M movie?

2000. Space Cowboys was the highest grossing August release with $90m. However it's worth noting almost every August since has had only 1 movie that just barely crossed $100m. 2011 and 2009 were more exceptions. Edited by MovieMan89

TDKR is expected to gross $4M today if Im not mistaken.I think its still a great run.

well, it will be a greater run if it still can hit 445 m eventually(just don't hold your breath) Edited by rickfox

TDK was boosted not only by the Joker, but by Ledger's death. I've said that for 4 years. TDKR was depressed by the shooting, whether it was $20m or $50m or whatever. It still got hurt by tragedy, while TDK got boosted by tragedy. TDKR's performance is proof positive that Batman is a bigger deal than the Joker.

How do we know the shootings didn't add to TDKR box office? It's pure speculation either way.

BTW, does anyone see any movie in the near future beating TDKR gross without 3D?

No.

I don't think a movie that is so successful in IMAX can be thought of as "2D only".

The Spider-Man argument is very relevant for THG2. SM1 had awesome legs and huge home video sales. The sequel received even stronger reception from critics and most fans seem to rate it higher than SM1, but it still dropped in gross. The thing THG2 has going for it is that SM1 was basically maxed out already. 70 million tickets is gigantic. There is theoretically more room to grow for THG2.

Good point. Films that reach that "maxed out" level usually are not matched by the sequels. It takes a perfect combination of factors to reach that level once...doing it again is asking too much. Same thing is going to happen to Avengers 2 and the fans will wonder what happened.

there are a few countries where TDKR is beating Avengers in admissions. And/or gross. UK, Australia and Germany for instance

Mama Mia beat TDK in the UK. ;)

Wish TE2 was doing better. Saw it this morning and thought it was much better than the first. My son thought it was great. He had a lot of fun watching it.After, we went home and watched the first one as he hadn't yet seen it. He liked the second one better.

Should i be worry about TheLastStand & TheTomb numbers after seeing TEX2 bad start?

Most definitely, I think. If a movie with all these guys in it can't open to even 30m; then what is a movie with just Arnie it that opens in January gonna do? I'd be surprised if it hits 20m.