acsc1312

Film Club- Revamped! Suggest films

Technically, but you can discuss it whenever you watch it. Seems like everyone forgot to watch Apocalypse Now :)

Thats blows ass since theres so much to discuss about in Apocalypse Now. Well, I hope this thing gets on its feet, since I think this is a great idea

Sting choice is odd to me. It's a fun flick, sure. Entertaining while I was watching it, but not all that memorable. Maybe I've seen too many episodes of Hustle but I could predict how 90% of it would play out and there was really only one thing that surprised me. Great performance from Robert Shaw in it though.

Apocalypse Now is an experience, to say the least. We can tell from the brilliant opening onward that we're not in for a conventional war film (or a conventional film, period), and Francis Ford Coppola delivers on the promise of those first few minutes with a chaotic, brutal, and sometimes plain nasty journey through the madness of war. While he doesn't outright state an opposition to war in the film, Coppola illustrates its its downsides through the events that transpire: Some commanders are gung-ho warmongerers who love the sight of destruction (or, as Kilgore puts it here, the smell of napalm in the morning). Some soldiers will die at very, very young ages (thrown into even greater relief when one considers that although his character is supposed to be 18, Laurence Fishburne was only 14 when he got the part). It can make sane people crazy. It can bring out the basest behavior of human nature. In short, it's hell; Coppola means for this point to come across, and it most certainly does in an appropriately blunt fashion.And of course, the above analysis is to say nothing of the incredible technical achievements on hand. The sound mix is excellent, and wholly deserving of the Oscar it won. The famous helicopter scene with the Wagner piece is a marvel to watch. Even the decision to mostly keep Marlon Brando's Kurtz in the shadows - a practical one given that Brando showed up to the set obese - keeps the level of mystique surrounding the character high even after he has been officially introduced onscreen. The level of technical mastery is made even more impressive when one considers that Coppola didn't see any of the footage until after the shoot was complete; for all he knew at the time of the infamously troubled production, it could have been a complete disaster.While it is not my favorite of Coppola's films (I rank each of the first two Godfathers ahead of it), I cannot deny that Apocalypse Now is a stunning achievement in its own right.

I just saw this for the first time a couple weeks ago... what was up with the surfing scene? Where the commander wants the California guy to start surfing as they are in the middle of a battle. I think that went over my head. Was he just trying to show how people go crazy while at war?

I took it as evidence of how casually Kilgore sees war. Combat seems to be a regular enough occurrence for him that he might figure there's no harm in letting other regular activities happen while it's going on.I'm somewhat disappointed that this wasn't one of the movies we analyzed in the satire course I took a few years ago; we only looked at three movies (it was predominantly a literature course), and while Dr. Strangelove is great, Bananas and Dead Man were less fun to analyze than I imagine Apocalypse Now would have been.

Apocalypse Now is one of the greatest I've ever seen. For some time after watching it, I wasn't sure if I would ever be able to watch other "war is hell" movies and find them at all compelling. Coppola took this one idea/concept, of a journey into the heart of darkness propelled and surrounded by the hell of war, and delivered the most complete and powerful film that could be made out of it. With all-time best cinematography, hypnotic pacing, great characterization, some instantly classic dialogue and overwhelming sound and scope. It's really a once-in-a-lifetime movie, a huge, rich epic driven by a single idea and the complete creative control of its author.

Watched The Sting Friday night. Such a cool film. Newman and Redford are fantastic again, just as in Butch Cassidy. I thought the first 30 minutes were a little slow, but once we met Newman's character it really took off. Especially from the poker scene on. So much awesomeness rolled into one movie. The score was fantastic, and Redford definitely deserved him acting nomination. Newman was great as always. Nice fun flick. I will admit that they had me at the end. Haven't seen the other nominees that year, but definitely was best picture caliber, IMO.A/A-

Re: the animal killing in APOCALYPSE NOW, I'm pretty sure the villagers had already planned tokill them, and Coppola just asked if he could film it. About the movie itself: it's fractured and illogical because its about the total insanity of war... and it was made when the wounds of the Viet Nam War were still unhealed. Dementedly great; once you see it, you never forget it.