baumer

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

67 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

as usual instead of going to sleep at a reasonable hour i always end up watching a film or series episode , today was perks turn!

excellent film, i loved it but dear me its heavy (not a criticism) its just some films leave a smile on your face, and this was more serious, because you can't help but think back to when you were in high school and it was hardly a decade ago for me, it wasnt the worst of time but i wasnt in the popular crowd either!

this film makes you think and feel a lot!

i loved the characters , it reminded of high school films like "welcome to ridgemont high" great soundtrack , ecclectic mix of characters dealing with all sorts of things, finding each other, that's what makes those years bearable finding that family you belong to so you don't notice those who don't want you or you don't feel any kindred spirit with

as for the aunt,how could she, at first i thought he saw her get beat up by her ex after she had change her life around, but then emma's character says she kissed her father's boss and other stuff and i wasnt sure she was joking or not, all i thought was that she had been used by guys +too much partying and had thus acquired a reputation but was now only hanging out with her core group of friends, but then he kept telling her they had gone through the same things but then you see his aunt accident and it distracted me from where my thoughts were adding up....it really messed him up

even that B from vampire diaries was pretty good (don't worry i'm in a love/hate relationship with that show these days ,i've taken an hiatus from it lol)

ezra miller was just great , the screen loves him, he's got quite the personality!

i have to admit to wondering about emma watson , not so much her acting skills but my ability to see her beyond the hermione character and i have to say yes i can, this character is so different from her that it was not as hard as i thought it would be!

paul rudd was awesome as the english teacher , over my school years i've had a few teachers that i admired quite a lot and who really loved teaching and knew their subject so much it didnt seem like a lesson but more of a conversation with an adult !

this movie left me really pensive , congrats to everyone involved and on a very shallow note dylan mcdermott is a DILF! just saying that man is beautiful!

Edited by ladyevenstar22
  • Like 2

It's really pretty good, and it's refreshing to see a film about high school life treat its characters seriously.

Ezra Miller, for all intents and purposes, steals the show.........thought he served as the foundation that pulled the movie together.  My only complaint is that at times the drama comes off as a big heavy-handed and too serious for its own good.  

Still, one of the better recent teen films, for sure.

B+/B

Edited by mattmav45

I can't believe that I was reluctant to watch this movie. Perks was one of the best (if not the best) of 2012. It was too hipster and liberal for my taste, though. A-

obs: this is the first indie movie since Little Miss Sunshine that I loved

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

"We accept the love we think we deserve." This line crushed me today when I caught 20 mins of it on showtime.  Such a powerful film with an incredible lead performance in Lerman. Seriously, how did he not get an Oscar nom? I need to revisit this in full soon. 

I never got to review this but I saw it a few weeks or more ago.

I didn't expect much going into the movie, so the fact that I think it was decent is a plus.

Ezra Miller completely steals the movie but I also think that was the point of the character so he deserves a lot of praise for being able to pull that off.

While I don't share some of the love that some people do for the movie, it is still pretty good.

I give it a B

It's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. The highest praise I can give this film is that a year after its release, it's found a massive cult following. In a strange way, maybe that's just how it was supposed to happen. 

• Like 2

so after all you guys kept saying how damn great this movie is, I went and saw it tonight....well I will say it was great but I didn't fall madly in love with it. I could relate with the characters, writing was great, powerful performances, and also great music. Summit really dropped the ball with this movie, this could of made some decent money at the box office with a full release.

That genrally happens when everyone raves about a film and then you see it- I prefer watch a film without knowing anything about it

• Like 1

it's difficult to understand how such a lame and banal presentation of high school could become so acclaimed. in saying this, there is something very genuine about the attempt. an intensely optimistic coming of age tale that cresendos into such ludicrously wild-eyed wonder that it could come from nowhere but the heart. but i just can't handle that much happiness. clearly high school wasn't like that for me. and i can't stand it when films use child molestation to promote false wisdoms.

3.5/10

• Like 2

it's difficult to understand how such a lame and banal presentation of high school could become so acclaimed. in saying this, there is something very genuine about the attempt. an intensely optimistic coming of age tale that cresendos into such ludicrously wild-eyed wonder that it could come from nowhere but the heart. but i just can't handle that much happiness. clearly high school wasn't like that for me. and i can't stand it when films use child molestation to promote false wisdoms.

3.5/10

:rofl:  :rofl:

You're awesome, Lisa.

• Like 7