baumer

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

67 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Right... So I just watched this for the first time - After waiting and waiting for it to be able to see it. It's 6 AM here (Yeah, I didn't sleep too much tonight) and I don't even feel sorry for not getting any sleep, so long I know I watched this movie.It was simply perfect. I enjoyed every moment and every second. Logan Lerman does know how to make a funny character - the way he talks and behaves when he's high at the first scene or when he's shoveling snow of off the drive way and talks about that tree being a monster. I had a few laughs and they seemed funny, but after seeing the end (which was spoiled anyways) even the funniest things felt ... normal.It just made me sad that, this movie makes you realize that all good things have an ending... I enjoyed it a lot... I simply can't collect my words right now, but yeah... A++

• Like 7

Much to my relief I didn't hate this movie. In fact, I liked it quite a bit. Its a good flick.

Its gentle, honest, human and fortunately it never sinks into earnest sappiness like some of these things do.

The main trio all did a great job, especially Logan Lerman, who made his character very real and relatable . I also liked Paul Rudd as the english teacher. We all had that one good teacher.

I really felt for these characters, and to be honest I was moved to tears in the end.

Now this might lead to me getting stoned to death, but I dont think Perks is a perfect movie.

The dialogue wasn't always top notch, especially in the first half, and I did find some of the plot points to be cliches of the genre.

Overall, I dont think its quite the masterpiece some people make it up to be, but I still found it highly enjoyable and much better than your average melancholic depiction of teenagers

4/5

• Like 1

Blu Ray was waiting on my doorstep from Amazon when I got home last night.  Stayed up til 2 AM watching it.  Going to fall asleep to it tonight.  This was my top of '12 and I think it's going to be quite high on my all time favorite lists as I get older.  Much like the book, I don't know that I've ever connected with characters the way I did with this.  As soon as The Samples start playing all I can think is that it's good to be with friends.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 2

Watched it last evening.

It's a good movie, sure, but the sheer amount of praise it gets here is kinda bewildering. I am inherently suspicious of any film that on its own says or whose fans say that it represents the experience of a generation, or a life event (going to high school in this case). In this case the film/novel doesn't have that agenda, but the fans of the film/novel certainly do, especially here. And such an agenda is unfounded because you can't really have more of a niche expererience than that had by the main character here. So in that context it's a very good representation of a troubled person overcoming demons to find a place in life (though like Silver Linings Playbook it glosses over the entire mental health aspect aside from a brief montage near the end and puts the real cure on hanging out with Patrick and banging Emma Watson. Seriously though, with all his talk of blackouts, seeing things, etc, you'd expect him to be on some form of medication but yeah, like SLP the film only dwells on the mental issues when it absolutely has to.). But all these people saying the film spoke to them deeply...I don't get it. The normal, actual, generational high school experience is not what is depicted in this film (or almost any teen film for that matter) so yet again, we have people trying to expand something from a film into a statement even though the film is about the most narrow, specific of personal experiences.

But anyway, Ezra Miller was the best of the three, Watson was the weakest (comparably to the other two, she was still good). Some scenes work great, others fall kinda flat. Direction could have been tighter and focused but we'll chalk that up to the director being both a first-timer and the novel's author, so there's inherently less restraint.

B+

One final thing. Something that really seemed totally forced and unbelieveable was that people as allegedly knowledgeable and involved in music as the main characters would not recognize David Bowie's "Heroes" when it appears on the radio (let alone spend a whole freaking year trying to figure out what it is).

• Like 1

One final thing. Something that really seemed totally forced and unbelieveable was that people as allegedly knowledgeable and involved in music as the main characters would not recognize David Bowie's "Heroes" when it appears on the radio (let alone spend a whole freaking year trying to figure out what it is).

I'd imagine that was something Chobosky took specifically from his own experience. 

Imagine living in a world without Shazam! 

For a B+, you sure didn't focus much on the positives. 

Considering all the praise (which is overblown) the film has gotten from most it needs a kick or two to bring it back to reality. Repeating various good things already said about it gets things nowhere.

• Like 1