Ezen Baklattan

Friday & Early Wknd Estimates (9/21/12): END OF WATCH Solid, everything else soft...

End of Watch looks good and Dredd looks awful. That might not be the case but thats how it looks.

That isn't the case, Dredd is brilliant. Don't know why you think it 'looks awful', I loved the trailer personally, and Karl Urban is a good actor, whats not to like?
  • Like 1

Dredd is officially tanking. That's not even a bomb, its a disaster. Won't clear $6m opening weekend? Don't fancy the film anyway, although I've heard good WOM. Too little too late.70% weekend drop for RE5. Deserved, film was nonsense.Decent for House at the End of The Street. Reviews are terrible though I'm happy to see horror on top. I use the term horror loosely.Solid for End of Watch, I knew it would do well.Trouble With The Curve looked boring from the start, and its doing boring numbers, go figure.

Dredd is officially tanking. That's not even a bomb, its a disaster. Won't clear $6m opening weekend? Don't fancy the film anyway, although I've heard good WOM. Too little too late.70% weekend drop for RE5. Deserved, film was nonsense.Decent for House at the End of The Street. Reviews are terrible though I'm happy to see horror on top. I use the term horror loosely.Solid for End of Watch, I knew it would do well.Trouble With The Curve looked boring from the start, and its doing boring numbers, go figure.

Any chance that Dredd could pick up some legs once the inevitable good WOM spreads?

Bombs like that don't get good legs because they're pulled from theaters quickly.Shame on you, Lionsgate for leaving it dead in the water and shame on the audience for totally ignoring the (apparent) quality. I mean, it seems like worse opening than Conan, for God's sake.My only hope is that End of Watch wins the weekend now.

1. House At The End Of The Road (Relativity) NEW [3,083 Runs] PG13

Friday $4.6M, Weekend $12.3M

2. End Of Watch (Open Road) NEW [2,730 Runs] R

Friday $4.5M, Weekend $13.5M

3. Trouble With The Curve (Warner Bros) NEW [3,212 Runs] PG13

Friday $4.2M, Weekend $13.2M

4. Finding Nemo 3D (Disney) Week 2 [2,904 Runs] G

Friday $2.3 (-54%), Weekend $8.2, Cume $28.9M

5. Dredd 3D (Lionsgate) NEW [2,506 Runs] R

Friday $2.2M, Weekend $5.7M

6. Resident Evil 5 3D (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 2 [3,016 Runs] R

Friday 2.0M (-76%), Weekend $5.7M, Cume $32.4M

7. The Master (Weinstein Co) Week 2 [788 Runs] R

Friday $1.4M, Weekend $4.4M, Cume $5.5M

8. The Possession (Lionsgate) Week 4 [2,598 Runs] PG13

Friday $825K, Weekend $2.7M, Cume $45.3M

9. Lawless (Weinstein Co) Week 4 [2,614 Runs] R

Friday $725K, Weekend $2.3M, Cume $34.5M

10. The Bourne Legacy (Universal) Week 7 [1,431 Runs] PG13

Friday $500K, Weekend $1.7M, Cume $110.5M

Soft Friday Box Office: Clint Eastwood’s ‘Trouble With The Curve’ Disappoints; But ‘End Of Watch’ Strong Even If ‘House’ #1; Rebooted ‘Dredd’ Opens Just Dreadful

that's what I was afraid of. Expendables theater drop was too big now it is not in thet top 10. So it might only have a 100 percent increase. Oh well it's still should finish with a 3 multiplier.

Any chance that Dredd could pick up some legs once the inevitable good WOM spreads?

No, because it won`t cross into mainstream. That`s the reason why it didn`t open in the first place. It`s a niche movie and fanbase obviously isn`t big. Similar thing happened with X Men FC. Great reviews, great WOM but no mainstream appeal hence the unremarkable hold and lowest gross of X Men franchise despite inflation. Though that one wasn`t a bomb. This, however, is. Too bad because reviews are great so it didn`t tank because it was a turkey. It bombed because it appeals to narrow audience. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1