DeeCee

No animals were harmed during the making of this movie except....

What did they kill in The Godfather? That wasn't a real horse head in the bed you know.

Actually, that was a real horse's head, they got it from a nearby slaughter house.Now, my mom worked at a nearby ASPCA shelter, and I remembered they got really pissed off when apparently in Turner and Hooch, the dog was really shot, and that I did see actual trial footage of when Tom Hanks was questioned for it. Apparently he was one of the main producers of the movie, and thought it was ok to shoot a stunt dog that was going to be put down anyway. He was found guilty for animal cruelty, and just paid a heft fine for it. It would be a long time before we got around to watching Tom Hank movies again. Another movie they got an uproar about was in the remake of Lord of the Flies. There was a pig in it that was actually killed on screen. Edited by Warhorse
  • Like 1

If that Hanks story is true, then that is a great story that I never knew about.

To this day, I am surprised to not see any footage of the trial. I looked for it on youtube, or somewhere in some archive, but no where to be found. I was just a kid at the time, but I remember the trial being really short, it wasn't one of them big ones with a jury or anything. Hanks knew he did something wrong, came forward, admitted it, and agreed to pay a fine over jail time. I can't remember the exact figure, but the boss at the ASPCA said it was in the millions. It probably was enough to erase it off of his record. I also know that the trial happened a few years after the movie had already been released. It would have been in 1992, because I was there helping eveybody out in getting the place ready for what would be the biggest hurricane to hit South Florida in recent memory. It was how I got to see the trial, when the bosses were using it as some sort of a teaching aid to the workers. Shortly after the Turner and Hooch issue, they were talking about the LORD of the Flies issue. They weren't as upset about that as they were about the dog.
  • Like 1

Actually, that was a real horse's head, they got it from a nearby slaughter house.Now, my mom worked at a nearby ASPCA shelter, and I remembered they got really pissed off when apparently in Turner and Hooch, the dog was really shot, and that I did see actual trial footage of when Tom Hanks was questioned for it. Apparently he was one of the main producers of the movie, and thought it was ok to shoot a stunt dog that was going to be put down anyway. He was found guilty for animal cruelty, and just paid a heft fine for it. It would be a long time before we got around to watching Tom Hank movies again. Another movie they got an uproar about was in the remake of Lord of the Flies. There was a pig in it that was actually killed on screen.

If that story is true, then I will never watch another Hanks movie. WTF?

There has been some animal killings in documentaries too.Roger & Me had a scene where a lady bludgeons a rabbits head, and skins it on camera. Pretty unpleasant.Also, in the Apocalypse Now-documentary Hearts of Darkness had a super-disturbing bit, where some live pigs guts are cut open.