Neo

American Hustle (12.20.13) NEW TRAILER PAGE 35

I guess in Futurist's world, the only happy ending for a romcom is the one where the guy and the girl stay together, even when they are, like, completely wrong for each other. It's "edgy" and so totally not happy when they both learn from the experience and move on, separately, to better lives.

• Like 1

I guess in Futurist's world, the only happy ending for a romcom is the one where the guy and the girl stay together, even when they are, like, completely wrong for each other. It's "edgy" and so totally not happy when they both learn from the experience and move on, separately, to better lives.

The guy and the girl saying together is the most unimaginative and unromantic conclusion to a romantic story/movie. There is a reason why Romeo and Juliet is considered to be one of the greatest romantic stories of all time and is the exact reason why Titanic was such an iconic movie.

• Like 1

Did you see Ruby Sparks? Brilliant satire on the neckbearded fantasy of the manic pixie dream girl.

I gotta check it but yeah that Manic Pixie manchild dream trope in indie movies is fucking grating me. Every time I see an Indie movie about a sad sack manchild "falling in love" with a Manic Pixie hipster I want to puke.("Especially you Jenny Beckman. Bitch." The scriptwriter is a pathetic moron.)

(If you promise me Ruby Sparks is like Eternal Sunshine and discards/discontructs that frustrated male fantasy for a more genuine approach of human relationships).

Edited by dashrendar44

I gotta check it but yeah that Manic Pixie manchild dream trope in indie movies is fucking grating me. Every time I see an Indie movie about a sad sack manchild "falling in love" with a Manic Pixie hipster I want to puke.

Its a really smart movie, cause it reveals just how misogynistic the trope really is. The basic idea is that author Paul Dano writes his dream girl and she magically appears in real life as Zoe Kazan. Dano can change her personality any way he likes. There's cutesy shit like singing cute songs and wearing flower dresses and all the other stuff you see MPDG's doing.

Then the movie takes a pretty upsetting turn when Dano makes the girl "filled with effervescent joy". I wont spoil more, but it goes to some really dark places that take a lot more balls than your average romantic comedy.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 2

And I just realized my boy Woody Allen basically created the Manic Pixie Dream Girl cliche I hate so much.  :unsure:

Woody Allen is one of my favorite directors but he has always been a bit of a douchebag when it comes to women.

Woody Allen is one of my favorite directors but he has always been a bit of a douchebag when it comes to women.

Jade Scorpion had Charlize Theron breaking into Woody's apartment and damn near fingering herself over just how attractive he is. Woody was like 67 at the time. At least his wife in To Rome With Love was only 20 years younger than he is.