Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

The new Gossip Girl, PLL Original Sin, and Sex Life have all been very well received so it won't surprise me if those all go to HBO as well. Let's not forget HBO has Euphoria so it's not like none of these shows match the same demographic as Euphoria.

Euphoria is Emmy catnip though with its 16 nominations it just received (for better or for worse lol). Anything that's considered expendable or unlikely to ever receive awards recognition seems to have "prepare for the chopping block" written all over them these days.

5 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The new Gossip Girl, PLL Original Sin, and Sex Life have all been very well received so it won't surprise me if those all go to HBO as well. Let's not forget HBO has Euphoria so it's not like none of these shows match the same demographic as Euphoria.

Also the new PLL show is actually really damn good. I never watched the original nor will I but it's got the feel of a retro slasher film so I'm definitely interested to see it continue.

Our Flags Mean Death also got renewed prior to this news so I don't think they will take that back either.

The DC shows like Titans and Peacemaker will probably all just become HBO originals.

The lowbrow teen shows will probably just get sent to Netflix or some other service. The DC shows honestly feel more out of place at HBO to me.. which makes me wonder if they're really going forward with all these spinoffs. I can see them letting some of these genre shows finish up their second seasons at HBO but no more beyond that. 

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Euphoria is Emmy catnip though with its 16 nominations it just received (for better or for worse lol).

I refuse to believe that show is being nominated for anything apart from acting. Season 2 was nicely filmed piece of slop and nothing more. 

• Like 1

Just now, AJG said:

I refuse to believe that show is being nominated for anything apart from acting. Season 2 was nicely filmed piece of slop and nothing more. 

Sam Levinson's new show with The Weeknd looks absolutely insufferable. Malcolm & Marie already went nowhere so we'll see if he's bound to go down as a one hit wonder.

1 hour ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

So it's fine if artists are treated like dirt? That a film people put their hard work in, and one that wasn't even that expensive, should just be left behind and away from the public just because it was intended for a streaming service and "won't make money"?

I get your whole schtick is "grrr streaming bad", but this is gross anti-art stuff right here and I think even you have to admit this is a teeny bit unfair to the filmmakers and cast and crew behind this project.

oh yeah, definitely. I’m sorry if I’m coming across as not caring for the artists etc, whom I definitely feel bad for. 

I’m just looking at the other side too and how willingly ruthless they’re being if they see trouble on the horizon, that’s all. 

I’m with the fans and those that are really aggrieved with what’s happened to these projects. But I still see it as sort of an inevitable reality to the heavy spending with no long term realistic plan for revenue. 

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Zaslav when he realizes he can't make quality superhero films for less than 100 million dollars.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

The thing is, the way he's been going about this, it comes across as him realising this, thereby completely cutting everything costing more than 20 million and less than 200. Which obviously is not the actual plan, but that's what it looks like - doing 2-3 huge movies per year, a few HBO cable shows and that's that. It's just an overall mess.

1 minute ago, AJG said:

where was this said? I must see it.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

where was this said? I must see it.

found it

Speculation Is on Fire Around HBO Max’s Future, Planned Layoffs in Major Streaming Shake-Up

https://www.thewrap.com/hbo-max-layoffs-warner-bros-discovery-q2-earnings-preview/

The move will result in a gutting of HBO Max, significant layoffs for its executives and staff to minimize redundancies with HBO and a combined streaming service with Discovery+ with a harder line separation between the scripted and unscripted content operations.

We’re told Bloys, the hitmaker who nabbed HBO 140 Emmy nominations and is set to launch the “Game of Thrones” prequel “House of the Dragon” on Aug. 21, will certainly take charge of all scripted content. 

“HBO is very safe. If this was ‘Game of Thrones,’ Casey Bloys won,” a Hollywood agent with knowledge of the plans said.

Speculation that layoffs were at hand began rippling through HBO offices late Tuesday afternoon, with one insider stating the pay-TV channel’s employees are “all freaking out” and that “all I know is they’re folding HBO Max into HBO, and there will be redundancies.” 

“Everyone in Warner Bros. Discovery is nervous at the moment, and [they’re] starting to look at alternative job options in case they get the axe,” a company insider said. “Sounds like they’re not doing HBO Max scripted shows anymore with HBO taking over, so less scripted shows overall.”

“HBO Max has a development team, which is a lot of overhead,” the agent with knowledge explained. “And why do you need a development team at HBO and HBO Max? It’s redundant. Just have Casey Bloys’ team do all the scripted TV development.”