Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Boy let me tell you that under 200 million domestic for a movie that's probably taken 300 million to make especially with reshoots and all is gonna be so worth it just because the story will get us to where WB wants to start their new DCEU. 

Is it really worth it WB for you to look so unbelievably bad by having this piece of trash in front of all your posters.

At this point just call the film Flashpoint or something and just keep Ezra off of everything.

Stepping away from The Flash for a moment, do we have a good idea of what directors, producers, and other creators are likely to be handed the pink slip in the near future-- not just in movies, but in TV too? I've seen some speculation that J. J. Abrams's deal with WB might not last much longer, since it was signed in 2019 and hasn't really amounted to anything, to say nothing of the fact that his TV show Demimonde was cancelled in June for going over-budget. 

3 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Stepping away from The Flash for a moment, do we have a good idea of what directors, producers, and other creators are likely to be handed the pink slip in the near future-- not just in movies, but in TV too? I've seen some speculation that J. J. Abrams's deal with WB might not last much longer, since it was signed in 2019 and hasn't really amounted to anything, to say nothing of the fact that his TV show Demimonde was cancelled in June for going over-budget. 

I don’t know how J.J. Abrams hasn’t already been booted. What has he been doing since 2019?

I'm not sure, to be honest. But there's no way he's working at WB for much longer. But another person I'm curious, and a little nervous, about is Genndy Tartakovsky. He's in a rather interesting position in that, on the one hand, he's a legacy producer with a lot of clout at the company, being the creator of Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Primal. But on the other hand, the sort of things he's making now-- Primal and something called Unicorn: Warriors Eternal-- don't particularly strike me as the sort of thing a studio trying to cut down on risky projects would want to fund, even if Primal did win five Emmys. WB signed an exclusive distribution deal with him in June, which was already after the Discovery merger, so make of that what you will. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

2 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

The recent DEADLINE piece (posted just earlier here) deals with a lot of this -- go read it.  

20 hours ago, IdahoJacket said:

The burglary is (AFAIK) the first actual criminal charge and a felony to boot.

Though other ciminal charges are pending; apparently his throwing a chair at a women in Hawaii would be felony assualt if he is charged with it. He might luck out there because his aim was so lousy and the Woman was only slightly  injured which might make the DA reluctant to indict becuasew it might be hard to convivce a jury to convict.. But no harm no foul does not apply to the law, and  if he were indicted., if would be on a felony charge.

Edited by dudalb

14 hours ago, Macleod said:

The recent DEADLINE piece (posted just earlier here) deals with a lot of this -- go read it.  

In many cases, the pink slip is automatic if a project is cancelled, since many are employed on a film to film basis. \The studios , except for the TV divisions, have not had large numbers of tehcnicians and crew members on permanent salary since the 70's.

23 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

DC needs a braintrust, ala Pixar. A group of people who can get involved in stories when needed, greenlight films, keep the universe running. But also people that can write entire films, direct films, etc etc.

Gunn would be perfect in that role. 

I like Gunn a lot more then Snyder, but not sure somebody as ideosyntratic as he is would be a good fit for the DCU. I can't see him doing a more serious film like the first "Wonder Woman".

45 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I like Gunn a lot more then Snyder, but not sure somebody as ideosyntratic as he is would be a good fit for the DCU. I can't see him doing a more serious film like the first "Wonder Woman".

Hence my idea

21 minutes ago, dudalb said:

FOr some reason the multquote does not seem to work on my computer.

Ok. Just wondering.

Anyway, I doubt Gunn has any interest in overseeing the larger DCU, but he could be a consultant. He’s clearly knowledgeable about comics. 

Edited by WittyUsername

So I don't know if it's been discussed here, but here are a number of takeaways from the aftermath of the WB shareholder's meeting. You can find most of them at that link, but here are a few of the more interesting ones. Much of this information is from Hollywood insider David Poland.

• The panel were asked how they expect the creative community to work with them after axing a near-completed project, and they said it was a "one-time instance" and said their commitment to movie theaters would attract the right talent. 
  • They vehemently denied the rumors that the layoffs would affect Warner Bros'. creative teams
  • The layoffs are expected to come between August and September. 
  • More information on the cancellation of Batgirl was revealed. Long story short, Discovery-WB never actually signed off on it, and they considered it an undesirable leftover from the previous owners. They could cancel it without it looking bad on their books, because they weren't the ones who green-lit it. 
  • Movies, TV shows, and distribution deals that were approved after the Discovery merger should be considered safe unless proven otherwise. These include Peacemaker season 2, the Amanda Waller spin-off, Matt Reeves’ stuff (a new Batman animated show, plus shows about Arkham Asylum and The Penguin), and the Green Lantern show. 

So, yeah, still not good news exactly, but not as bad as some of the more sensational articles have led us to believe. 

Edited by El Squibbonator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1