Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

55 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You really need to learn a lot more about how the film business works if you think running off a list of names proves that everything is hunky dory at Warners.

We can argue about who is to blame and how Zaslev is handling the situation, but Warners is in deep finiancial trouble.

Ah huh.

55 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And after what happened last December, you are calling the Matrix franchise a good asset?

Matrix is tough to judge. Done right, I think there is money there. Last December was not done right whatsoever. 

18 hours ago, YM! said:

I think 350M DOM/1B WW. Should be enough for about 4th DOM, with it finishing under Guardians 3, Mermaid, and Indy. There’s definitely a few wildcards domestically like Mario for instance.

Mermaid and Indy aren’t going to be bullion dollar films, 100%. Guardians will likely go the Dr Strange/Thor 4 route and also not make a billion… bold predictions, I know but I’d bet Aquaman 2 beats all 3

edit: even with the controversy, I see the Flash being the number one film next year, given it’s an A-list character, Keaton is returning as Batman, Supergirl (another A-list character) is debuting and all the buzz surrounding its test screenings being so high (TDKT levels). Plus all the cameos, Flash is going to be what Dr Strange 2 was hyped up to be lol

Edited by El Gato

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

DC supporter says Marvel is washed up and DC will take over.

How often have we heard that?

I also think his handwaving away Mermaid and Indy 5 is a little premature.

Never said Marvel was washed up, just that Dr Strange 2 and Thor 4 were supposed to be East billion dollar films like Guardians 3 and The Marvels are currently being hyped up to be… we saw how that turned out, especially with no China anymore. 

Mermaid has controversial casting and I see it going the Mulan route rather than BatB or Aladdin. Indy 5 is a little too late… like I said bold predictions but I’m sticking to them. Flash will be the highest grossing film next year ;)

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Doubt any dc movie is getting near the top of anything next year but I expect all the movies to perform well.

I’m confident Shazam and Flash are good and will do well respectively (Shazam 450m, Flash 650m)but competition around flash is big so we’ll see how that goes, I think curiosity is what’s gonna help that movie. I think Blue Beetle has a chance to surprise if it’s good and make a decent amount for a first solo movie. And with Aquamans move and current competition I’d expect that to be dc highest grossing movie next year if it gets a China release. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Zaslav better change his tune real quick...

shocked philip j fry GIF

Granted, AT&T's day-and-date sacrifice was the major factor here, but I imagine Zaslav's "we don't owe anyone shit" attitude might have accelerated this decision. Good choice, Legendary. Good choice. This unfortunately likely means delays for both Dune 2 and the Godzilla vs Kong followup, but I'd prefer that to forcing those filmmakers to wrestle with Zaslav.

As I've said before, only the most visionless yespeople will ever want to work with this regime after everything that has happened thus far. I'll be very surprised if James Gunn and Genndy Tartakovsky stick around for very long.

I think everyone is reading too much into the past or present Warner situations with this move. This is a business transaction which means $$$ now sometimes a company will give up some $ if they have a great relationship or to have a bigger reach (a lot of sports deals still incorporate broadcast/cable heavily and Amazon has missed out on some even with higher offers for example)

But anyway the situation with Legendary is that Warner, Sony and Paramount are all offering basically the same thing which is co-productions and theatrical distribution it just seems like Warner may have a lesser offer than Sony or Paramount. 

I don't think this will impact GvK or Dune sequels as those should either move over to the new partner or stay with Warner depending on the terms of previous contract. 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 2

Nothing really new here...except for officially confirming Keaton was indeed involved with Aquaman 2!  And EMMA WATTS may be in contention for the job!  

From ‘Batgirl’ Fallout to Rebooting ‘Superman’: All the Landmines Facing the Next DC Chief

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batgirl-ezra-miller-superman-next-dc-head-warner-bros-discovery-1235353666/

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Nothing really new here...except for officially confirming Keaton was indeed involved with Aquaman 2!  And EMMA WATTS may be in contention for the job!  

From ‘Batgirl’ Fallout to Rebooting ‘Superman’: All the Landmines Facing the Next DC Chief

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batgirl-ezra-miller-superman-next-dc-head-warner-bros-discovery-1235353666/

May be nothing new, but it has a lot of good commentary/advice.

(and advice I tend to doubt will be followed if history is any guide)

Also touches on some of the very real differences between the situation Feige found himself in and whoever becomes WB's answer.  The only thing I think I would quibble is that it doesn't comment on Feige's turbulent history with Perlmutter.

Not that this is the thread to comment on that.  Just that it wasn't quite as smooth sailing for Feige as the article implied.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Porthos said:

May be nothing new, but it has a lot of good commentary/advice.

(and advice I tend to doubt will be followed if history is any guide)

Also touches on some of the very real differences between the situation Feige found himself in and whoever becomes WB's answer.  The only thing I think I would quibble is that it doesn't comment on Feige's turbulent history with Perlmutter.

Not that this is the thread to comment on that.  Just that it wasn't quite as smooth sailing for Feige as the article implied.

Article is a mixed bag.

For one thing, I think the Flash moving until after Aquaman 2 opens is a likely possiblity, depending on how closely the two films are tied into each other. 

As for winning over the Synder fans, they should just forget about that. No way the Snyder fans will be happy unless Snyder is given back that DCU and that will never happen. And I suspect the Snyder fans are not that numerous. Loud yes, can make a lot of noise on the Internet, yes, but not as powerful as they thing.

DC tried throwing them a bone to make them happy with Zack Snyder's Justice League, and it did not make them happy Just ignore them. You make good movies, all their yelping won't matter.

Edited by dudalb

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The idea of labeling someone "the next Kevin Keige" before they are even hired is insane, frankly. But alas. 

The problem is Feige's do not grow on trees, they are hard to find, not that many of them and rhey can demand a lot of money for their services.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

The problem is Feige's do not grow on trees, they are hard to find, not that many of them and rhey can demand a lot of money for their services.

It also carries absurd expectations. They should just @excel1 so they can win a long term expectation game.