Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

I seriously cannot stand this much versions of whatever ‘auteurs’ want to make for DC characters. It’s not like The Batman is The Godfather. It’s a good superhero film, right there with the best Batman films of all time, sure. But if he is isolated from the universe that they are building, you all can enjoy it but I’m likely giving up on that, even if I loved the first film.

What I want is what Gunn is envisioning for the DC Universe. I will follow that instead.

17 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I seriously cannot stand this much versions of whatever ‘auteurs’ want to make for DC characters. It’s not like The Batman is The Godfather. It’s a good superhero film, right there with the best Batman films of all time, sure. But if he is isolated from the universe that they are building, you all can enjoy it but I’m likely giving up on that, even if I loved the first film.

What I want is what Gunn is envisioning for the DC Universe. I will follow that instead.

We're so far away from any of Gunn's plans coming to fruition that we can afford to wait and just let Matt Reeves do what he's been doing.

Just now, JWR said:

We're so far away from any of Gunn's plans coming to fruition that we can afford to wait and just let Matt Reeves do what he's been doing.

Are we sure about that? Because I am not. It looks like it will start rolling in the next 5 years. Why do we need three, four takes on Batman running at same time? I mean, sure, give me The Amazing Spider-Man 3 or Spider-Man 4 but the Spider-Verse and the Multiversal War in the MCU came first. It’s like Gunn said it, it’s a fractured universe. There is no cohesion. I don’t need a poor man’s Nolan Batman. In fact I find it so weird how DC fans go against the grain when it comes to this kind of stuff. Marvel fans fought tooth and nail for five years to get Daredevil in the MCU and get him to be part of that universe. We didn’t need a second take of Daredevil. I know that The Batman works. It’s not about that.

The question is simply. Why can’t Matt Reeves play ball? What having his Batman be ‘alone’ in the universe benefit the story? Because I wouldn’t call his take on Batman grounded. Neither that it’s actually treading new ground. It feels like playing a Nolan’s Batman cover if he can’t be part of the bigger universe.

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Are we sure about that? Because I am not. It looks like it will start rolling in the next 5 years. Why do we need three, four takes on Batman running at same time? I mean, sure, give me The Amazing Spider-Man 3 or Spider-Man 4 but the Spider-Verse and the Multiversal War in the MCU came first. It’s like Gunn said it, it’s a fractured universe. There is no cohesion. I don’t need a poor man’s Nolan Batman. In fact I find it so weird how DC fans go against the grain when it comes to this kind of stuff. Marvel fans fought tooth and nail for five years to get Daredevil in the MCU and get him to be part of that universe. We didn’t need a second take of Daredevil. I know that The Batman works. It’s not about that.

The question is simply. Why can’t Matt Reeves play ball? What having his Batman be ‘alone’ in the universe benefit the story? Because I wouldn’t call his take on Batman grounded. Neither that it’s actually treading new ground. It feels like playing a Nolan’s Batman cover if he can’t be part of the bigger universe.

Reeves might not have any choice in the matter; Gunn and Safran have the ultimate power;The power of the Purse.

Anwya, no reason why Reeves can't have his gritty grounded Batman is the DCU. Look at Daredevil in the MCU.

• Thanks 2

If The Batman was a critical and commercial flop, I'd understand. But it made money, people liked it, so why fix something that ain't broken? Meanwhile, Superman's last standalone film was incredibly polarizing and that iteration (along with most of the DCEU) has not clicked with audiences. 

At least this way, DC is putting out content of some kind while Gunn is getting the house in order. And who knows? Maybe Reeves will change his mind and bring Battinson over. But for now, just leave it alone.

• Like 1

Just now, dudalb said:

Reeves might not have any choice in the matter; Gunn and Safran have the ultimate power;The power of the Purse.

Anwya, no reason why Reeves can't have his gritty grounded Batman is the DCU. Look at Daredevil in the MCU.

And I sincerely hope he does not. What the DC Universe has been desperately needing is what Marvel Studios understood a long time ago, leave your ego outside if you want to play in that universe. Whatever Reeves do, even if I actually prefer his take over Nolan’s, he will always be on his shadow. It’s tiresome the idea of yet another take of a Batman that exists alone in an universe. And it’s not like Reeves Batman is particularly grounded in reality either. Gritty? Sure. Grounded? LOL.

9 hours ago, Ohana said:

It wasn't a disaster, It was a movie that got sacrificed for HBOmax and still managed to gain 169.6M worldwide 
during the pandemic,
even 1M more than James Gunn's The Suicide Squad!
If you call WW84 a disaster then by your own standards James Gunn's movie is a disaster as well and even more so since 
it was in theaters almost one year later, when the pandemic really started to wear off worldwide.
So please... 

Calling it all around disaster might be wrong, but the best in the best case you can make was it was a hugh disspaointment, and I think if it had openen normally it would have been a huge disspapointment. It would have had a big opening weekend, but then when WOM got out weak legs.

And given what it cost, a 170 mIllion would have meant it still lost a lot of money given it's budget.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

And I sincerely hope he does not. What the DC Universe has been desperately needing is what Marvel Studios understood a long time ago, leave your ego outside if you want to play in that universe. Whatever Reeves do, even if I actually prefer his take over Nolan’s, he will always be on his shadow. It’s tiresome the idea of yet another take of a Batman that exists alone in an universe. And it’s not like Reeves Batman is particularly grounded in reality either. Gritty? Sure. Grounded? LOL.

It might be tiresome for you but you're surrounded by a majority who are happy with what they're getting right now (as far as Batman is concerned).

3 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Batman is a pinnacle of the DC Universe. In any modern incarnation post Crisis he is one of the first - if not the first - to show up. I get what you are saying, but unlike Spider-Man that you can easily bring him later, that’s not the case with Batman. You can take some time to introduce Wonder Woman actually, but Superman and Batman need to be there from almost the start, even more so with the Squad and others surviving the inevitable Crisis. 

Reeves doesn’t need his own universe for Batman. It has been done before, it isn’t breaking any new ground whatsoever and it’s just to protect Reeves ego, it isn’t really in service of the actual story. Tim Burton has done it before. Christopher Nolan has done it before. Reeves Batman isn’t even really that much realistic, he and his Gotham has literally more in common with MCU’s Daredevil than either Burton’s or Nolan’s take on the character.

If Reeves can’t play ball, he should leave too. It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever that he wouldn’t play ball though. So I hope he stays and leave his ego aside for this.

Batman is no more integral to the DC Universe than the Fantastic Four historically was to the Marvel Universe, but that didn’t stop the MCU. 

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Gunn really needs to just hire a PR rep. 

I genuinely do not understand why this man chooses to still be on Twitter still. It makes no sense to me.

The only celebrities that are still active on Twitter are over 40 at this point. The young ones moved onto Instagram Stories (or TikTok). I never see younger celebrities arguing with incel fanboys over nonsense like this still.