Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

43 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Tomorrow is their earnings call. God help us all for what's in store for that if the events of the past 24 hours or so is only a taste of what to expect there.

The problem Warners has is not earnings, but the amount of debt they are carrying.

IF the BOD fires Zaslev tommorow, the guy they bring in to replace will be another penny pinching cost  cutting SOB because that is what the studiio needs to survive. Hope is he will be a more competent one.

My opinion of Zaslev  has gone down over the past few hours. He seems to be cutting the muscle and bone along with the fat.

Merging the Streaming Serivices makes sense to cut overhead, gutting the creative staff by this much does not.

Sadly, you cannot get out of  a debt problem my increasing earning. That takes too long. You need to cut costs also and that is never pretty. But Zaslev seems to not to know what to cut and what to leave alone.

And get used to this. I suspect the other big studios..including Disney, are going to go into retrecnhment mode. They simply cannot keep spending the way they have been.  I suspect, for instance, that Feige will be looking at making MCU movies for less money; I supect the days when every MCU movie gets are 150 to 200 Milllon budget will soon be over.

Just now, stephanos13 said:

If you were an executive and you have to choose between losses in streaming or making some money in cable.

Which would you choose?

Do you have any idea how many people have been abandoning cable in the past several years? It is increasingly being seen as obsolete. This isn’t the 2000s anymore. 

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why is Grace being used a source here? I don't think she got a single thing right in this situation.

I mean she said that HBO would be folded into Discovery and that there will be a huge cut in scripted content. And that seems to be what is happening. And I know she can be wrong and is problematic and stuff, but her leaks and reports turn out accurate about the same as Skyler Shuler or Daniel RPK or BigScreenLeaks I find. And BSL is already getting tea on delays too, so I think there’s validity here to at least put this into consideration

• Like 7

I’ve come to terms with Harley Quinn’s most recent season is it’s last one. And we’ll never see The Venture Bros HBO Max movie.

Edited by YM!

I really don't get what any of this means. So far they canned some Batgirl & Scooby Doo movies I was never going to watch, and removed 6 streaming only movies that no one ever watched. Oh darn. As far as what's going to happen with HBO Max that all seems to be speculation so far. If it gets folded into a different service with the same content library... whatever. I'll start caring when they remove some shit I like.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

I’ve come to terms with Harley Quinn’s most recent season is it’s last one. And we’ll never see The Venture Bros HBO Max movie.

The Venture Bros/Aqua Teen/Metalocalypse movies are supposed to be straight to Blu-Ray/DVD releases, then will get added to HBO Max after 90 days, at least that was the plan when they were announced. Now if THOSE get cancelled then I'll be pissed

https://deadline.com/2021/05/adult-swim-movies-for-aqua-teen-hunger-force-metalocalypse-the-venture-bros-1234754652/

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Looks like Grace was right this time. 

I can get moving Shazam 2...WB needs to get eveny dollar then can in from this, and opeingin against Avatar 2 not might not be a good move in this direction..but can't get moving Aquaman unless it is to put distance between it and Shazam's new date.

Edited by dudalb

8 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I really don't get what any of this means. So far they canned some Batgirl & Scooby Doo movies I was never going to watch, and removed 6 streaming only movies that no one ever watched. Oh darn. As far as what's going to happen with HBO Max that all seems to be speculation so far. If it gets folded into a different service with the same content library... whatever. I'll start caring when they remove some shit I like.

You should care if they start dedicating their new content to crappy reality shows instead of scripted content. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

How do you think stuff gets made? They will just cancel a few movies and not renew a few animated shows and thats it? Massive staff cuts means some rubbish some ok and some really good shows will also not get made. No worries if you love Naked and Afraid and Gold Rush but if you like scripted shows (Hacks etc) then its not so good. 

13 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

They literally said they’re done with scripted content lol.

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

You should care if they start dedicating their new content to crappy reality shows instead of scripted content. 

I wouldn't like that either, but if they're still gonna have the same vast library of HBO/Cartoon Network shows & WB movies it'll still be worth subscribing to me

1 minute ago, Ronin46 said:

How do you think stuff gets made? They will just cancel a few movies and not renew a few animated shows and thats it? Massive staff cuts means some rubbish some ok and some really good shows will also not get made. No worries if you love Naked and Afraid and Gold Rush but if you like scripted shows (Hacks etc) then its not so good. 

Bad things happen when companies get into a Debt crisis.

I am worried about the Babylon 5 reboot which I was interested in.