Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

somebody save DC from WB please!

When BOT will learn to not give Twitter "insiders" like Randolph attention? This is clearly based around the fact that The Penguin is happening as a tv show for WB’s streaming service. Slow news day to provoke some outrage and get views, what are we even doing entertaining this.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

And the whole Zaslav and GQ’s fiasco keeps on giving:

On July 3, GQ.com rolled out a hot-take story titled “How Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav Became Public Enemy Number One in Hollywood.” The piece, which was written by freelance film critic Jason Bailey and slammed Zaslav as a Logan Roy-esque mogul, quickly disappeared from GQ’s website, while a new, more friendly version popped up with a separate URL. That version, too, vanished not long after, leaving readers puzzled.

But did a GQ editor’s relationship with Warner Bros. play a role in the softening and ultimate removal of the story? 

GQ editor-in-chief Will Welch is producing a movie at Warner Bros. titled “The Great Chinese Art Heist,” which is based on a 2018 GQ article by Alex W. Palmer. Jon M. Chu (“Crazy Rich Asians”) is attached to direct and produce the film, which chronicles an audacious European museum crime wave that targeted Chinese antiquities. The project already has a script in place by Ken Cheng, Jessica Gao and Jimmy O. Yang. Sources say Welch was involved in the discussions surrounding the removal of Bailey’s initial story and made the call to pull the revamped story, which ran some 500 words shorter than the published version. Those same sources say Warner Bros. Discovery complained about the initial story to two GQ editors, one of whom was Welch

• Like 1

Now it makes sense. Though the problem with Zaslav getting the boot (even IF that's a possibility) is twofold:

A. Who would replace him?

B. What guarantee is there that his replacement would be any better?

8 minutes ago, JWR said:

Now it makes sense. Though the problem with Zaslav getting the boot (even IF that's a possibility) is twofold:

A. Who would replace him?

B. What guarantee is there that his replacement would be any better?

I don’t think anyone is replacing him. This isn’t exactly like Disney situation. Zaslav is holding the seat to some other company’s CEO. NBC Universal, Amazon, etc., now how long, who and when someone makes a move for WB, who knows.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

How the hell is that legal?

It is a flagrant conflict of interest.

Still, removing an entire story from a news outlet's website would constitute an extreme action and is almost never done, except in the most egregious cases of journalistic malpractice. Even then, an editor's note would typically appear when readers clicked on an excised story with an explanation of why it was killed.

Welch's involvement in the decision-making process would constitute a conflict of interest. As a producer on a Warner Bros. movie in early development, Welch would meet the criteria from the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics that says reporters and editors should "avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived [and] disclose unavoidable conflicts." Furthermore, journalistic best practices dictate that stories never just disappear and that any significant corrections be noted with full transparency. A Warner Bros. Discovery source says no one at the corporate level was aware of Welch's ties to the movie studio.

Why does anything Godlav is getting the boot? have you seen their share price? and this is before the 2nd half box office explosion coming their way.

24 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Why does anything Godlav is getting the boot? have you seen their share price? and this is before the 2nd half box office explosion coming their way.

you mean the atomic bomb that's gonna be blue beetle + aquaman 2, cause that may be even more deadly then The Flush, which btw is no longer playing in any theater around where I live.

19 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

you mean the atomic bomb that's gonna be blue beetle + aquaman 2, cause that may be even more deadly then The Flush, which btw is no longer playing in any theater around where I live.

Barbie, Blue Beetle, Nun 2, Dune 2, Wonka, Color Purple, Aquaman 2

Yes, I'd call that an atomic bomb. Sure.

4 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

At least 4 of these will underperform. Also no matter what way you spin it WB has lost a lot of money already at the box office just this year and it's only going to get worse.

Edited by Cappoedameron

2 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

At least 4 of these will underperform. Also no matter what way you spin it WB has lost a lot of money already at the box office just this year and it's only going to get worse.

None of which are films that Zaslav greenlit though. These bombs would've happened no matter who was in charge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

which 4 and define 'under perform'.

3 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Barbie will definitely overperform.Dune2 is the most anticipated sequel.Meg2 looks

Fun for everyone.Warner holds the best cards for rest of the year

p.s blue beetle might  be a surprise as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

which 4 and define 'under perform'.

Under means they won't perform to expectations, in fact two of them will completely bomb and lose WB money. As for what I think will underperform...

Blue Beatle, Aquaman 2, Wonka, and Dune 2 are my predictions for under performing. 

Color Purple is a wildcard that depends on a lot of things. Meg 2 is probably gonna be the most successful, which isn't saying much.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

A Reeves-Verse sounds great TBH, he is talented and The Batman, while not perfect showed he knows how to handle iconic characters, in fact WB should be throwing money at him, instead to that "Reboot" of the DCU that Gunn is doing.

1.- The serious tone of the Reeves movies/series would be refreshing on screen, we have too many fantastic-flying-galactic SH movies already, Marvel can keep doing that.

2.- We seriously need new approaches to existing CBM universes. 

Edited by Belakor
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

i get that they are counter programming but it's kind of odd to me that 3/9 of the December movies are WB

Wonka, Aquaman 2, Color Purple vs Untitled Disney movie, Magazine Dreams, Anyone But You, Ghostbusters Sequel, Migration and The Boys in the Boat

• Like 1

I don't blame Zaslav for trying to make Warner Bros more profitable. WB currently/has been hemorrhaging money. 

Entertainment industry has been receiving diminishing returns for the last 10 years. Profit levels down 90% for the whole industry due to the arrival of streaming into the field.

Combine this with the fact that debt is no longer free like it once was, and He finds himself being squished from both sides and having to make desperate decisions.

• Like 1