64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

There were so many things to like about this but one of my favourites was when Affleck asks one of the Americans, "Where were you born?""TorONTO.""Don't say ToronTO. You say ToronO. Canadians don't pronounce the T.""Do minute details really matter like that? Is an Iranian interrogator really going to pick up on that?""When you are being interrogated, they will bring in someone who knows that."The script is perfect. It is one of the best written films I've ever been privy to watching. Not just because of a scene that is so true like this one, but because all the scenes are like this. I really hope this wins best screenplay. Such a marvelous piece of writing.

• Like 3

This was excellent. Affleck is the real deal.The US Embassy break-in from the opening shows that Affleck would make a killer zombie movie. Those pumped up Iranians were scary as hell. I hope The Stand happens for he`ll nail the Captain Tripps panic.The movie was effortlessly switching between a dead-serious nail-biter and some fine comedy.Fuckin intense third act even though you know how it ends.Arkin will likely get nominated. I didn`t believe it until I saw the movie. he`s playing the industry type, has the best lines, they love the shit out of behind-the-scenes-of-movie-business movies.Please make The Stand. Get Leo for Flagg and you`re good to go, Ben.I think this will win the script only but will get a handful of major noms to boot. Picture, Director, Script = locked. Supporting Actor = very likely.

• Like 2

I don't feel like I've seen the Best Picture of 2012, but I really enjoyed it. I suppose I felt similar about The Town, but this ends on a much more satisfying note. Well crafted, tight and efficient all the way through, good performances, and a slick script. But whereas the first 10 minutes especially and the last 20-25 minutes were incredibly tense, there are some other portions in the film that are occasionally a bit dull. B+(Ar)Go Fuck yourself!

Yes travod. I feel you. That is exactly how I feel. It's just like oh my god good. And fish I agree with you too. Are can will get nominated and I think he deserves to. His lines are comedy gold. "you think the Ayotoyla (sorry spelling) is tough try the WGA" HAHA. Brilliant.

• Like 1

I enjoyed this a lot. Very good, tense thriller, with an excellent ensemble cast. Thanks to my ignorance, I really didn't know how it ended for the six diplomats this story focuses on so I really was on the edge of my seat the entire movie and let out a big sigh of relief when the plane goes airborne. Behind the scenes Hollywood stuff was indeed hysterical, and for me I think the most thrilling part of the film was the initial riot and takeover of the American embassy. That is some scary shit and totally relevant to the world today. My only criticism, and I've noted this in Affleck's other films- is that they all have this paradoxical quality where they both feel tight and compact but also a bit meandering and overlong at the same time. It could have used just a tad more fat trimming IMO because there are a couple of moments that feel unnecessary and take away from the high tension atmosphere. Otherwise though it's a very effective film and another solid addition to Ben Affleck's resume that deserves most of the praise it's gotten. This proves the guy can go out of his Boston comfort zone and deliver.8/10 (A-)

I know this isn't a documentary but I was just curious as to how historically accurate this movie is? I've been reading a lot of articles that claim the movie really downplays Canada and Taylor's role in the whole "rescue mission". I'm not trying to take anything away from the movie, I haven't even seen it, I'm just genuinely curious.

Edited by cratos

I know this isn't a documentary but I was just curious as to how historically accurate this movie is? I've been reading a lot of articles that claim the movie really downplays Canada and Taylor's role in the whole "rescue mission". I'm not trying to take anything away from the movie, I haven't even seen it, I'm just genuinely curious.

I'm genuinely curious about that too.

Affleck is the real deal. 3 for 3. And he is getting better with each film. I thought he could not top The Town as a director. I personally thought that The Town was as good as his direction would get (not that that's a knock becaus I adore The Town), but with Argo, he has proven that he's in it for the long haul.You heard here.. by the time he's an old dude and has 20+ movies under his belt, we'll be talking about him alongside the greats if he keeps this up. He seems to choose his projects very carefully and somehow turns what should be a box office miss into a relative hit. I'm likely overreacting here, but seriously.. his very young directing career looks promising as fuck.

• Like 1

One of the small details of the movie that Affleck really did well with was the cast a Canadian as the ambassador. Victor Garber had a small role but it added to the authenticity of the film by having a Canadian play the Canadian.

I loved the self depricating humour as well. When Goodman tells Affleck that he could train a monkey to be a director in less than a day or two days or something, that cracked me up.

• Like 2

I loved the self depricating humour as well. When Goodman tells Affleck that he could train a monkey to be a director in less than a day or two days or something, that cracked me up.

Yeah, I caught that too. It made me realize that Ben's knowledge of how Hollywood really works is why his career didn't die after DD and Gigli. Most other actors would have been done.

I'd really like to see Affleck win an Oscar for this one, whether it be directing or producing. The main reason of course is that imo he deserves it as the film is one of the best films I have ever seen, but also because I remember after GWH, many people said that Ben really didn't have much to do with the script and that Damon wrote most of it. They questioned Ben's talent. This renaissance of Ben is proving all of them wrong.

• Like 3