Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

BR became a cult classic and increasing online ticket sales and early Thursday previews will front-load this somewhat. Even if it's very well received, like with SMH the initial run could look front-loaded before good reception bolsters the legs after a few days and 'doom and gloom' dissipates.

Comparisons to Fury Road are a bit unfair to BR49 imo - That one was a perfect storm of reception from critics, fans and non-fans alike resulting in a ~3.4x multiplier (153.6 dom, 45.4 ow) and 10 academy award nods.

Just going by the trailers, the lack of a strong female character like Furiosa seems to be one difference between both the movies. Seems unimportant but a perfect storms like reception needs all demos on board and all hands on deck.

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Just going by the trailers, the lack of a strong female character like Furiosa seems to be one difference between both the movies. Seems unimportant but a perfect storms like reception needs all demos on board and all hands on deck.

To be fair, Fury Road's opening weekend audience was actually 70% male (I guess you chalk it up to fellow opener Pitch Perfect 2 taking away a good portion of the female audience but still). Pretty sure they're banking on Gosling to bring in a higher female crowd here than this would've had otherwise.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, Fury Road's opening weekend audience was actually 70% male (I guess you chalk it up to fellow opener Pitch Perfect 2 taking away a good portion of the female audience but still). Pretty sure they're banking on Gosling to bring in a higher female crowd here than this would've had otherwise.

Yeah that sounds fair. Gosling and Ford could help with multiple age groups too.

Edited by a2knet

12 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

It's fantastic.  I also know someone who saw an early cut way back in May I think and they said it was great back then.  Was glad to see that it turned out even better than I could have hoped.  

Did they turn the lights on in the final cut or am I going to have to take some night vision goggles along to view it?

Edited by AndyK

I'm glad that this is following the Fury Road track of sequels to 80's classics that live up to the originals and (at least have potential to) pose the blockbuster box office that they deserve. I do worry about how will the 3 hour runtime affect the OW numbers (should be over 40M comfortably, but just by how much?), but I do think that could actually help its legs, as more people will be left out of the OW contribution party due to less showings, making it more backloaded. Or at least I think that could happen. I totally hope that happens (even if the OW surpasses expectations).

Edited by MCKillswitch123

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I'm glad that this is following the Fury Road track of sequels to 80's classics that live up to the originals and (at least have potential to) pose the blockbuster box office that they deserve. I do worry about how will the 3 hour runtime affect the OW numbers (should be over 40M comfortably, but just by how much?), but I do think that could actually help its legs, as more people will be left out of the OW contribution party due to less showings, making it more backloaded. Or at least I think that could happen. I totally hope that happens (even if the OW surpasses expectations).

Theaters have a lot of stuff they're eager to get rid of right now though, so there's a good chance they'll book this on multiple screens to sell as many seats as possible. Don't think the running time is gonna be much of a factor.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

considering FR legged it to 3.4x, this one would have to open 10m more to ~55 ow to match it's dom imo.

I think that 55M OW is doable. Running time may be a hindrance but it all depends on the pace. If it's paced well and people are not bored (they made many a 3 hours-long movie a hit), WOM will be good. 

5 minutes ago, James said:

Serious question: do I have to watch the first one to understand this one?

I'm sure this is a Tron situation where you don't have to see the first one to understand the sequel but it's probably beneficial (and you should watch it anyway because it's an amazing movie rightfully regarded as a classic).

3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

tenor.gif

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1