A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Everyone wish, haha, however he has stepped behind the camera... 
The day he steps infront again, I can't imagine what the box office results will be.

He was supposed to play Show Luo's role in Mermaid.

Who knows, he might appear in Journey..

Edited by Polaroids

1 hour ago, Fake said:

Where can I find the year-wise top grossing Chinese movies for the past 15-20 years?

2000-生死抉择/Final Decision-120M

2001-大腕/Big Shot's Funeral-43M

2002-英雄/Hero -250M

2003-手机/Cell Phone-53m

2004-功夫/Kung Fu Hustle-173M

2005-无极/The Promise-181M

2006-满城尽带黄金甲/Curse of the Golden Flower-291M

2007-集结号/The Assembly-250M

2008-非诚勿扰/ If You Are the One-325M

2009-建国大业/ The Founding of a Republic-416M

2010-唐山大地震/Aftershock-673M

2011-金陵十三钗/The Flowers Of War-609M

2012-人再囧途之泰囧/ Lost in Thailand-1267M

2013- 西游·降魔篇 / Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons-1246M

2014-心花怒放 / Breakup Buddies-1169M

2015-捉妖记 / Monster Hunt-2438M

Edit:Hero accounted for more than 25% of 2002's yearly box office, and you can see the developing pace of Chinese Market.

Edited by Olive Skywalker
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

The last movie he acted in was CJ7, right?

Loved that movie. 

He was supposed to be the director and main cast, playing the role of "Kato" in the Green Hornet movie. But due to creative differences, he left, apparently Sony executives said he had crazy ideas about aliens and stuff and they couldn't accept it. 

So Green Hornet went on to look for another "Chou/Chow" guy and found Jay Chou, who pretty much killed the movie. lol.

I believe the movie would have been so much better if Stephen Chow was in it, and he would be more mainstream in the states.

14 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

2002-英雄/Hero -250M

2003-手机/Cell Phone-53m

2005-无极/The Promise-181M

Edit:Hero accounted for more than 25% of 2002's yearly box office, and you can see the developing pace of Chinese Market.

5 Feng Xiaogang movies, 3 Zhang Yimou movies and 2 Stephen Chow movies.

I wonder if Feng Xiaogang's next movie will be a hit. Personal Tailor was still profitable despite some factors. His influence is still intact, especially when you take into account that he won accolades for his acting in Mr Six and that was a box office hit.

23 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

2002-英雄/Hero -250M

2003-手机/Cell Phone-53m

2005-无极/The Promise-181M

Thanks Olive. But I was looking for Top-10 or even Top-5 for each year......

I am in the mood for watching some Chinese movies and need to see which ones I have missed.

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

He was supposed to be the director and main cast, playing the role of "Kato" in the Green Hornet movie. But due to creative differences, he left, apparently Sony executives said he had crazy ideas about aliens and stuff and they couldn't accept it. 

So Green Hornet went on to look for another "Chou/Chow" guy and found Jay Chou, who pretty much killed the movie. lol.

I believe the movie would have been so much better if Stephen Chow was in it, and he would be more mainstream in the states.

To be honest, that jay chou guy who played kato was the best thing of that movie. It's just that the movie was mediocre. 

Stephen is waiting for a Hollywood project. I think they should have hired him as director for Dragonball but instead he was the producer and hardly had any role.

18 minutes ago, quigquag33 said:

Nice sum up for biggest single-day on record: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/china-box-office-mermaid-powers-863257

Also I have to say I'm satisfied that Kung Fu Panda 3 is already crashing. DreamWorks should just quit making movies cuz the vast majority is somewhere between ridiculous and pathetic.

Haters gonna hate...

9 hours ago, Polaroids said:

5 Feng Xiaogang movies, 3 Zhang Yimou movies and 2 Stephen Chow movies.

I wonder if Feng Xiaogang's next movie will be a hit. Personal Tailor was still profitable despite some factors. His influence is still intact, especially when you take into account that he won accolades for his acting in Mr Six and that was a box office hit.

Surprise...Stephen Chow, Feng Xiaogang & Zhang Yimou, their movie release at the same year 2016. Maybe no one can beat Stephen Chow this year. Ask for Feng Xiaogang & Zhang Yimou, I'm sure The Great Wall > 我叫李雪莲  (My name Xuelian)

3 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

Surprise...Stephen Chow, Feng Xiaogang & Zhang Yimou, their movie release at the same year 2016. Maybe no one can beat Stephen Chow this year. Ask for Feng Xiaogang & Zhang Yimou, I'm sure The Great Wall > 我叫李雪莲  (My name Xuelian)

LI XUELIAN, which like Mr Six is a drama, should be a hit, topping Mr Six is possible but it wont beat TGW or Mermaid.

LeVP distributing TGW. its is a terrible distributor like ODW so lets hope it doesn't pull a KFP3…

50 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Mermaid not going to drop much today. 

TMK2 Continues to slide hard 

KFP will hold flat to a small bump again

The overall BO should hold within -5% daily thru Saturday based on last year.

agreed. it will be intersting to see if Sunday bumps over 600m again.

3 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

LI XUELIAN, which like Mr Six is a drama, should be a hit, topping Mr Six is possible but it wont beat TGW or Mermaid.

LeVP distributing TGW. its is a terrible distributor like ODW so lets hope it doesn't pull a KFP3…

52 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Mermaid not going to drop much today. 

TMK2 Continues to slide hard 

KFP will hold flat to a small bump again

The overall BO should hold within -5% daily thru Saturday based on last year.

agreed. it will be intersting to see if Sunday bumps over 600m again.

production budget:

MK2- 300m

Macau3- 200m, including paychecks for the stars but not box office bonus for Chow and the producers

Mermaid- 180m, Chow paycheck 200m

MK2 has the highest marketing budget for any local title but it wont do 1B at this rate so Filmko could lose money on it. it should have chosen a summer release and would have little problem becoming the summer bo champnion…MK2 fell due to a false pick of release date, similar to KFP3.

• Like 1