A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

2PM update: (Yesterday's 2PM figures in brackets)

Mermaid: 150.5M (161.9M)

TMK2: 56.1M (65.4M)

Macau 3: 54.4M (71.9M)

KFP3: 18.5M (17.2M)

The story is the same yet again...... small drop for Mermaid, sizeable drop for the other two openers, and a small bump for KFP3.

TMK2 is actually now ahead of Macau 3.

Edited by Fake
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fake said:

2PM update: (Yesterday's 2PM figures in brackets)

Mermaid: 150.5M (161.9M)

TMK2: 56.1M (65.4M)

Macau 3: 54.4M (71.9M)

KFP3: 18.5M (17.2M)

The story is the same yet again...... small drop for Mermaid, sizeable drop for the other two openers, and a small bump for KFP3.

TMK2 is actually now ahead of Macau 3.

Any Chance that TMK2 and Macau 3 not hit 1Bn? This CNY.. only 3 big films, no matter how good/bad they are, it seems like a win-win for all. MK2 will break even at least.

Edited by TigerPaw

30 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

I'm looking at pre-sales, show counts and pandas performance and I have to say. 

1B :locked:

I'll bet the first 2 that respond and Ill give 2-1

$20 Gift card to $10 who believes it will be under 1B

KFP3 showtimes continue to increase. It's up to 7.1% for tomorrow and that number should only increase. With TMK2 and Macau 3 dropping hard, KFP3 does have a legitimate shot at 1B. 

20 minutes ago, druv10 said:

KFP3 showtimes continue to increase. It's up to 7.1% for tomorrow and that number should only increase. With TMK2 and Macau 3 dropping hard, KFP3 does have a legitimate shot at 1B. 

Hope it happens. Not that it saves face, but it saves sanity. Cannot fathom <150m usd for a sequel to a movie that made 92m usd in the 2011 Chinese market.

Admission wise I guess 92m usd worth of admissions in China in 2011 is like 200m usd worth of admissions today.

Edited by a2knet

7 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Hope it happens. Not that it saves face, but it saves sanity. Cannot fathom <150m usd for a sequel to a movie that made 92m usd in the 2011 Chinese market.

Admission wise I guess 92m usd worth of admissions in China in 2011 is like 200m usd worth of admissions today.

KFP2 grossed about 4.4% of the yearly box office in 2011. Box office has been growing around 50% each year, so I'd say 2016 is heading towards $10 billion. Based on that, KFP2's performance would be equivalent to more than $400 million in 2016.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, druv10 said:

If it continues to hold like this, it could push 3B so it definitely has a good shot at becoming number 1.

So, we would already have the first $400m grosser in China, even the first $450m film if it reaches that 3 billion figure that you say. How fun are this kind of runs and to see how each 6 months the first spot in all time list is different.

59 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Any Chance that TMK2 and Macau 3 not hit 1Bn? This CNY.. only 3 big films, no matter how good/bad they are, it seems like a win-win for all. MK2 will break even at least.

There is definitely a chance that both don't hit 1B...... or they both could...... depends on how big next week's releases are........

23 minutes ago, Fake said:

There is definitely a chance that both don't hit 1B...... or they both could...... depends on how big next week's releases are........

No big movie release until Ip Man 3 (March.4th), Both Macau 3 & TMK 2 could reach 1B. CTHD 2 next week won't do big. 

Btw, Mermaid will have great leg. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

Close to 320m$ taking into account both market growth and change in exchange rate. I am not including 2016's possible growth into this calculation though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infernus said:

Close to 320m$ taking into account both market growth and change in exchange rate. I am not including 2016's possible growth into this calculation though.

Yes 320m as the maximum potential sounds realistic, as opposed to 400m or more.

However the competition and choice of films has also increased since.

So accounting for that, 250m - still a massive figure - was reasonable to expect for KFP3.

27 minutes ago, quigquag33 said:

1B yean in 4 days (or almost). Has any other movie done that before? FF7?

That opened on Sunday with nearly 400m with MN. then had regular (huge) weekdays. I think it was around 850m for 4 days. Probably did it in 6.

Edited by No Prisoners