A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

2 hours ago, Olive said:

In Chinese, A good/great drop = small drop/ good hold

A big/nasty drop =bad hold.

18 minutes ago, ttr said:

I think it depends more on person than on language. For a BOT person great drop is small, but for "normal" person great drop could mean large drop. Actually I think great in general has a positive tone in it. So one can translate it as he/she wants in this case...

Here we have a word: 'gross' (old writing groß). It's pronunciation is not like the English 'gross'

Thank you, I did understand if right from the beginning - beside for the first second.

But I think that only happened bcs I was yesterday at a school event, some former pupils of mine did show up and grew so much in height since they left school, I said yesterday repeatedly: wow, you are so 'gross' now!....) ;)

Or if a person / company / country has a LOT of debts, we say also: he/it /... has a ~ 'great mountain of debts (grosser Schuldenberg)

If a word in your own language is a little bit similar to foreign language word, I think ppl tend to associate it at the first moment to the more common / or also common use in your own surrounding.

I thought it is simply funny, that it can mean both. good or bad, if a person isn't aware about the use in e.g. BO or not concentrated on BO for a moment.

• Like 1

Sunday Estimates
Doctor Strange: ¥50.2M/¥569M (-24%)
Billy Lynn: ¥ 23.6m/80.45M
One Piece: ¥19.1M/69.35M
Scandal Maker: ¥11.1M/34.9m
Mr Donkey: ¥4.1M/¥163M
Hide and Seek: ¥2.3M/¥66.6M
Operation Mekong: ¥1.13M/¥1178M
Trolls:¥1.9M/¥51.1M

• Like 11

6 hours ago, peludo said:

I have noticed a big drop of Yuan relative Dollar since Trump's victory (nearly 6.86 today). Does anyone know how much can it still drop? or if the drop is directly related to Trump or it is an internal adjustment?

Its also gaining momentum on the Euro. So it must be a Trump thing

45 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

It seems to be the opinion of them.

I was wondering, as in the past a few films got such weekdays and still made money.

If I'm remembering correctly, Avatar opened on Monday and Transformers 3 opened on Tuesday. Both of those films broke the record in China for highest grossing of all time.

• Like 1