A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

3 hours ago, firedeep said:

It appears the three openers are 'locking' a lot of showtimes i.e. fans and maybe even the distributor themself book a ton of tickets in advance so that their movie takes as much screening capacity as possible, no matter how low the attendance is, just like what fans of OUAT have been doing.

A fangirl of OUAT's Li Yifeng bought one ticket for each of the 26 showtims at a theater. There are thousands of such fangirls. This is beyond absurd.

https://www.zhihu.com/question/63464212#answer-68138900

On one hand, people cannot get a ticket for WW2 as enormous shows are being soldout; on the other, OUAT fangirls are locking shows, making a hell of unproductive shows with only one or two seats sold. Theaters are enraged. As a beat back, some theaters are deciding to cancell all shows of OUTA starting on Monday. Talking about a war between retarded fangirls and theater operators at the height. :rofl:

They lose a lot of soda  popcorn money that way.

8 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Or 100% from china

PS heading to 43m at 1am. Multi should climb back to or over 5x. 

215-240m for monday. 45-50% drop. 

Standard drop is 55 this time of year

this is just insane, i can't believe what am I witnessed, not meant to offence, but am i the only one who found this is very strange? If this is really true, the slowdown since 2016 will be totally a false alarm....overstatement of the so-called slowdown, the chinese cinema could just release WW2 solely for audience, and summer 2017 will be still an up from 2016!! 

SUN

before service fees

Wolf Warrior 2  -  397.7m / 2,943m

Once Upon a Time  -  58.2m / 397.2m

The Founding of a Army  -  11m / 314.9m

Despicable Me 3  -  4.71m / 949.5m

after service fees

Wolf Warrior 2  -  427m / 3,159.5m (+6%)

Once Upon a Time  -  62m / 424.9m

The Founding of a Army  -  11.8m / 332.4m

Despicable Me 3  -  4.95m / 1,017m

• Like 9

5 hours ago, firedeep said:

It appears the three openers are 'locking' a lot of showtimes i.e. fans and maybe even the distributor themself book a ton of tickets in advance so that their movie takes as much screening capacity as possible, no matter how low the attendance is, just like what fans of OUAT have been doing.

A fangirl of OUAT's Li Yifeng bought one ticket for each of the 26 showtims at a theater. There are thousands of such fangirls. This is beyond absurd.

https://www.zhihu.com/question/63464212#answer-68138900

On one hand, people cannot get a ticket for WW2 as enormous shows are being soldout; on the other, OUAT fangirls are locking shows, making a hell of unproductive shows with only one or two seats sold. Theaters are enraged. As a beat back, some theaters are deciding to cancell all shows of OUTA starting on Monday. Talking about a war between retarded fangirls and theater operators at the height. :rofl:

I think you mean Yang Yang or Liu Yifei. Either way, it's ridiculous.

2 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

More like 99%. Last week it did $220k in US and $81lk in Australia. Can't find any numbers for Singapore.  

2 hours ago, POTUS said:

Or 100% from china

PS heading to 43m at 1am. Multi should climb back to or over 5x. 

215-240m for monday. 45-50% drop. 

Standard drop is 55 this time of year

WW2 could make close to $10m from overseas markets. so more like 99%....

I expected a 850m-1000m dollar movie to possible really fast (around 2013/2014 I thought it would be possible by around 2018), but then after the recent slow down to an almost stop of the last 2-3 year's, I thought it could take Avatar 2 in 2021 to have a chance or something like that.

The progression of the top movie was still strong to:

2009: $69m

2013: $197m

2014: $320m

2015: $390m

2016: $526m

2017: will see but a lot

Adding and other 100-130m to make a new record around 650 would not have been that surprising, but destroying it is.

P.S. Depending where it stop, we will need to update our Avatar 2 box office in China ceiling potential, maybe it will be closer to 1.2/1.3b than 800m.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

this is just insane, i can't believe what am I witnessed, not meant to offence, but am i the only one who found this is very strange? If this is really true, the slowdown since 2016 will be totally a false alarm....overstatement of the so-called slowdown, the chinese cinema could just release WW2 solely for audience, and summer 2017 will be still an up from 2016!! 

One movie doesnt make a market. Last year was up 4%. CBO is up 6% YTD.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

I expected a 850m-1000m dollar movie to possible really fast (around 2013/2014 I thought it would be possible by around 2018), but then after the recent slow down to an almost stop of the last 2-3 year's, I thought it could take Avatar 2 in 2021 to have a chance or something like that.

P.S. Depending where it stop, we will need to update our Avatar 2 box office in China ceiling potential, maybe it will be closer to 1.2/1.3b than 800m.

That would be glorious, makes me happy as a Cameron fan...;)

Edited by NCsoft

34 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

That would be glorious, makes me happy as a Cameron fan...;)

Avatar 2 will never be released.

Come on, Avatar was released 8 years ago, how is that possible to take so much time?? o_o What about cost overruns? :lol:

47 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Come on, Avatar was released 8 years ago, how is that possible to take so much time?? o_o What about cost overruns? :lol:

He's clearly waiting for the moment that the Chinese market is large enough to ensure the massive profit of each one of his Avatar sequels. ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, POTUS said:

One movie doesnt make a market. Last year was up 4%. CBO is up 6% YTD.

I know this is very early, but would you say the run of WW2 will give this year a large overall bump over last year (if we ignore service fees)?

Edited by NCsoft

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

I know this is very early, but would you say the run of WW2 will give this year a large overall bump over last year (if we ignore service fees)?

It should get the year up 14% YTD aug 31 w/o fees.  WW2  will get local films flat YoY.  HLWDs 5 1B+ films and Dangal are responsible for this years increase.  HLWD will come back to end of aug and should do well with dunkirk, apes and BD. Then locals will have to step up for the october holiday.  Aside from WW2, they are not faring well since CNY.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I cant believe it will be 11 years. It took him 12 years to get avatar out after titanic. I assume theyll have $1b into the 4 sequels by the time 2 releases. What a gamble. 

19 minutes ago, POTUS said:

I cant believe it will be 11 years. It took him 12 years to get avatar out after titanic. I assume theyll have $1b into the 4 sequels by the time 2 releases. What a gamble. 

They did cut it in 2 block with 2 movie made/released at a time to diminish the giant stake a little bit (or give room to breathe to re-add something new technology wise in the last 2 movie)

• Like 1