A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

It feels like this 4/24 debut in China may be even bigger than we think, because it’s garnering a lot of extra hype that they get it first. No 2 weeks of seeing/hearing spoilers or ripped copies on the internet. 

I’m not going to let the hype consume me, and I’ll stick to $235m OW / $375m total; but I feel like this might be the equivalent (American film at least) of what TFA was to North America.

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

It feels like this 4/24 debut in China may be even bigger than we think, because it’s garnering a lot of extra hype that they get it first. No 2 weeks of seeing/hearing spoilers or ripped copies on the internet. 

I’m not going to let the hype consume me, and I’ll stick to $235m OW / $375m total; but I feel like this might be the equivalent (American film at least) of what TFA was to North America.

if the weekend will be 235 i dont see how it wont cross 400

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

if the weekend will be 235 i dont see how it wont cross 400

I assume he's talking 5-day is 235, 3-day being 235 is simply impossible with work-day Sunday.

In this case 400 wouldn't be exactly likely. Will depend largely on how it fairs during holiday and what locals are around.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Is nobody considering that runtime in the equation ?

It's like anticipating a Furious 7 like run but with extra ~1hr of feature 

2 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

I assume he's talking 5-day is 235, 3-day being 235 is simply impossible with work-day Sunday.

In this case 400 wouldn't be exactly likely. Will depend largely on how it fairs during holiday and what locals are around.

Yes I mean 5 day. 

Just now, NamakFiskKa said:

Like many people on here (with knowledge of how movie theaters work) have explained, if there is demand it will be met. They will stagger the showings and drop weaker films to boost the screen count. 

5 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Well, Endgame (182 minutes) is 22 minutes longer than IW (160). It could have some effect, but not as big as one could think at first.

9 minutes ago, Olive said:

It will have better legs than AIW, also may not have midnights this time.

Is the early date considered a factor in giving high Maoyan ratings? I'm just thinking that after watching EG, some audiences might be so grateful that they got to see the film first before many countries that they decide to give back by giving the film a high Maoyan rating like 9 or 10.

57 minutes ago, Olive said:

It will have better legs than AIW, also may not have midnights this time.

I was suspecting the latter. IMO first 5 days will be roughly double of (Tue + Wed) + (Fri + Sat + Sun) of Ultron IMO.

I.e. 

Wed ~ 2X Ultron Tue ~ ¥380mn

Thursday ~ 2X Ultron Wed ~ ¥250mn

Friday + Sat + Sun ~ 2X Ultron FSS ~ ¥1075mn

If there are midnight screenings, add another ¥70mn.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

44 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Is the early date considered a factor in giving high Maoyan ratings? I'm just thinking that after watching EG, some audiences might be so grateful that they got to see the film first before many countries that they decide to give back by giving the film a high Maoyan rating like 9 or 10.

Now I understand why Aquaman worked. It releases 2 weeks before US.:Venom:

Don't overestimate or underestimate the power of chinese date before or after US debut. It can be good or not. The news that Aquaman can open on Dec.7 definitely make audience feel more excited, but it is also little harder for WB China to do their promotion job because they have to establish high expectation for local audience who don't really know much about AQM. Venom opened on Nov.9 in China, but it's surprising performance in the rest of the world make Chinese audience know what's more they are going to expect from this Sony film. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Don't overestimate or underestimate the power of chinese date before or after US debut. It can be good or not. The news that Aquaman can open on Dec.7 definitely make audience feel more excited, but it is also little harder for WB China to do their promotion job because they have to establish high expectation for local audience who don't really know much about AQM. Venom opened on Nov.9 in China, but it's surprising performance in the rest of the world make Chinese audience know what's more they are going to expect from this Sony film. 

From these two opposite examples of amazing CBO runs, it doesn't look like the release date matters much tbh.