A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

5 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

So the Chinese actors get a lesser movie. Not part of MAIN epsiodes. Bohoo

Rogue One is one of the most anticipated movies next year, and I think Disney will also focus alot on Rogue One. I don't think the merchandise, marketing or production budget for Rogue One will be less than Ep 7. Anyway, I rather Chinese Stars have big roles in Rogue One(Donnie is rumoured to be the highest paid in Rogue One), than what happened to The Raid actors in the Main Episodes, killed in a minute. 

• Like 2

January 7th/ Thursday  est:
Detective Chinatown 27M/548M
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride 14m/92m
Mr. Six 18M/771M
Mojin 11.9M/1606M
D&A 1.7M/643M
Little Door Gods 0.7M/71M

EP7 presales haven't picked up close to opening,OD still on track to around $20M.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Rogue One is one of the most anticipated movies next year, and I think Disney will also focus alot on Rogue One. I don't think the merchandise, marketing or production budget for Rogue One will be less than Ep 7. Anyway, I rather Chinese Stars have big roles in Rogue One(Donnie is rumoured to be the highest paid in Rogue One), than what happened to The Raid actors in the Main Episodes, killed in a minute. 

I have to admit the raid actors were wasted. No point getting them in the film if they are not doing their crazy action/stunts. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, fmpro said:

I just recently began to watch Sherlock with Benedict C. Great show BTW..

Is this SH movie an episode from that show? And if yes.. Why a theatrical release?

It's a Christmas special episode that sorta ties the ending to last season with the things that are about to happen in Season 4.  I love Sherlock and this special episode is no different.

• Like 1

It is not surprising that EP7 underperforms, movie did not break out in Asia baring HK and Japan.

I've seen it at press screening yesterday, maybe it will have same reception as AOU, too geek and fan-servicing for general audience in China.

Edited by The Good Olive
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, snitch said:

It's a Christmas special episode that sorta ties the ending to last season with the things that are about to happen in Season 4.  I love Sherlock and this special episode is no different.

Oh okay. I allready found it online :P:P:P

6 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

I added SA to show what a small opening can do with tremendous WOM. Was holding dead flat on weekdays until it lost theaters to JW, but then held flat again until more screen loss. Could have been $130m+ if it had more screens. 18x OD is very rare.

Presales at 26m now. Should get over 45m by Saturday morning at this pace and bring in a 130m/$20m+ OD. Currency fell again to 6.59 to a dollar. it was 6.21 last year until august.

Won't the fact that all of those films (save Genisys) were mid-week launches mess up the comparison?

1 hour ago, The Good Olive said:

It is not surprising that EP7 underperforms, movie did not break out in Asia baring HK and Japan.

I've seen it at press screening yesterday, maybe it will have same reception as AOU, too geek and fan-servicing for general audience in China.

I don't think that I would call Japan a breakout territory. They've been pretty big on Star Wars for a long time now. I know that changing XR messes the comparison up some, but Japan was the biggest foreign market for all of the prequels. 

The Avengers opened on a Saturday, only comparable blockbuster in recent years.

TA OD:63.5M

OW:120M

total:570M

My revised prediction for EP7 

Midnights:10-12M

OD:120M-130m

OW:235-250M

Movies become way more front-loaded than 3 years ago and EP7 won't have good WOM like TA1, so a final range 600-700m.

I know I'm being pessimistic, hope I will be wrong.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

I know I'm being pessimistic, hope I will be wrong.

Hi Good Olive,

thank you a lot for your work and predictions,...

I know you write in local currency, but as we do have a lot of newbes since the release of SW 7, could you please add a hint like the letters for the Chinese currency to it? Maybe give from time to time an ~ exchange rate update, as it is so 'lively' for the moment?

Only a suggestion...

Enjoy your day!

• Like 1

RMB keeps depreciating, now 1 Yuan=0.1515$(vs 1.1538  last week) 

It will keep dropping in the following month, Hollywood movies will have a tough year overseas.

So my high end for EP7 will be around $105-110M.

Edited by The Good Olive
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

RMB keeps depreciating, now 1 Yuan=0.1515$(vs 1.1538  last week) 

It will keep dropping in the following month, Hollywood movies will have a tough year overseas.

So my high end for EP7 will be around $105-110M.

USD?

We can't really say whats "under performing" here in China since the last Star Wars movies made close to nothing here in China. I think 100M USD would be just fine, considering the series has quite a few movies to go. In this market, I assume the rest of the movies could only increase from what TFA makes. It's not like 100M USD in China would make TFA a bust. The movie is a complete success.

• Like 3

Agree

SPECTRE, established, made in 2015 $83.5m in China acc. to BOM

Renminbi = RMB = official Chinese currency

International also in use is CNY

Yuan (Wikipedia, as that is too much for my English skills) = the Chinese base unit of currency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renminbi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_yuan

2 hours ago, kswiston said:

I don't think that I would call Japan a breakout territory. They've been pretty big on Star Wars for a long time now. I know that changing XR messes the comparison up some, but Japan was the biggest foreign market for all of the prequels. 

Out of all the Asian countries you could say Japan is the most attuned to American pop culture.