A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

5 hours ago, TommyA10 said:

Of course it's my personal preference. But that is also the consensus of the majority of moviegoers around the world in this case, hence the bad RT/Metacritic/IMDB scores.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_age_of_extinction/

18% on RT (3.9/10), 51% audience score (3.2/5)

32/100 on Metacritic

And it still made 250m dom and 500 os.

That's top ten out of hundreds of movies. We're watching this crap too. This is the pot calling the kettle black

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No Prisoners said:

And it still made 250m dom and 500 os.

That's top ten out of hundreds of movies. We're watching this crap too. This is the pot calling the kettle black

T4 in No.98 in all time domestic, and No.15 international (with its huge China gross). It is No.3 in China. So not quite the same. The movie still over performed everywhere considering its quality, but China definitely gave it the biggest boost.

20 minutes ago, Annayya said:

Now that Star Wars had its second week done in China, we should have a better estimate of what the final total will be from China.

I am thinking $125 million. Could it be significantly higher?

Im thinking lower

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

T4 in No.98 in all time domestic, and No.15 international (with its huge China gross). It is No.3 in China. So not quite the same. The movie still over performed everywhere considering its quality, but China definitely gave it the biggest boost.

TF4 was top ten for its year

China is an expanding market. It's 3rd for now but could be 98th as well if it had 30 years of BO at these nunbers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

It will probably make $11m midweek. Next weekend at least a 65% drop= $7m. Followed by $4.5m midweek, then KFP3 opens. $3m more.

I would say 125m is possible but the ceiling. 115m if the drops are harsher.

I have just done some rough calculations and it seems Titanic and Avatar were more successful compared to even the original Star Wars movie from 1977, even after adjusting for inflation.

Star Wars (1977)
Domestic = $460,998,007 which is $1,533,609,700 adjusted for inflation
Overseas = $314,400,000 which is $1,045,919,683 adjusted for inflation
Worldwide Total =  $775,398,007 which is $2,579,529,383 adjusted for inflation

Domestic = $760,507,625 which is $837,367,900 adjusted for inflation
Overseas = $2,027,457,462 which is $2,232,361,309 adjusted for inflation
Worldwide Total =  $2,787,965,087 which is $3,069,729,209 adjusted for inflation

Titanic (1997)
Domestic = $658,672,302 which is $1,166,435,200 adjusted for inflation
Overseas = $1,528,100,000 which is $2,428,574,848 adjusted for inflation ($348 million 3D re-release inflation conversion is only considered for the value increased from 2012 to 2015)
Worldwide Total =  $2,186,772,302 which is $3,595,010,048 adjusted for inflation

Gone With the Wind (1939)
Domestic = $198,676,459 which is $1,739,604,200 adjusted for inflation
Overseas = $201,500,000 which is $1,764,327,027 adjusted for inflation
Worldwide Total =  $400,176,459 which is $3,503,931,227 adjusted for inflation

So the adjusted for inflation worldwide gross is this:
1) Titanic
2) Gone with the Wind
3) Avatar
4) Star Wars (1977)

Note: I have not taken the crazy re-releases into calculation for overseas releases of Star Wars and Gone with the wind which have released multiple times several years and decades later. The final adjusted inflation value if anything, will only be lower so the worldwide rankings above will be similar.

Source for Domestic Inflation calculation is boxofficemojo

• Like 3

7 hours ago, James said:

.... users are mostly american.... Same with IMDB.

No interest to participate in the general discussion (never even having seen any Transformer movies beside a few scenes for discussion reasons), but your assumption about IMDb isn't actual anymore in a lot of cases (movies) since quite some time, especially if internationally seen in the cinemas, like e.g. the MCU movies, or......

I am guessing you dislike it there too (IMDb message boards...), so you might have missed that development.

If you look up the ratimg per year (e.g. via filters) you might even learn about how many movies got rates into ths or that top/bottom something chart/list beside never being/gotten released in the US (or UK,...)

As it's about T4 here in the last few pages, here the split T4 has at IMDb (interestingly the average rating only differs 0.1 anyway):

US users  26100 neutral.gif 5.5
Non-US users  94883 neutral.gif 5.6
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Annayya said:

snip

Did you earnestly try to use US inflation rates... for OS tnflation calculations too or did I misunderstood that?

Including US ticket price changes?

Edited by terrestrial

1 hour ago, Annayya said:

I have just done some rough calculations and it seems Titanic and Avatar were more successful compared to even the original Star Wars movie from 1977, even after adjusting for inflation.

Star Wars (1977)
Domestic = $460,998,007 which is $1,533,609,700 adjusted for inflation
Overseas = $314,400,000 which is $1,045,919,683 adjusted for inflation
Worldwide Total =  $775,398,007 which is $2,579,529,383 adjusted for inflation

Domestic = $760,507,625 which is $837,367,900 adjusted for inflation
Overseas = $2,027,457,462 which is $2,232,361,309 adjusted for inflation
Worldwide Total =  $2,787,965,087 which is $3,069,729,209 adjusted for inflation

Titanic (1997)
Domestic = $658,672,302 which is $1,166,435,200 adjusted for inflation
Overseas = $1,528,100,000 which is $2,428,574,848 adjusted for inflation ($348 million 3D re-release inflation conversion is only considered for the value increased from 2012 to 2015)
Worldwide Total =  $2,186,772,302 which is $3,595,010,048 adjusted for inflation

Gone With the Wind (1939)
Domestic = $198,676,459 which is $1,739,604,200 adjusted for inflation
Overseas = $201,500,000 which is $1,764,327,027 adjusted for inflation
Worldwide Total =  $400,176,459 which is $3,503,931,227 adjusted for inflation

So the adjusted for inflation worldwide gross is this:
1) Titanic
2) Gone with the Wind
3) Avatar
4) Star Wars (1977)

Note: I have not taken the crazy re-releases into calculation for overseas releases of Star Wars and Gone with the wind which have released multiple times several years and decades later. The final adjusted inflation value if anything, will only be lower so the worldwide rankings above will be similar.

Source for Domestic Inflation calculation is boxofficemojo

Nice figures!

Also new + expanded film markets in the world have emerged between the release of Star Wars in 1977 and Avatar in 2009. But taking that into account would make it impossible to come up with a potential figure, but I'd imagine if Star Wars in 1977 had the same totally global platform as Avatar in 2009, it may have done more.

Edited by MonstersandRoy

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Did you earnestly try to use US inflation rates... for OS tnflation calculations too or did I misunderstood that?

Including US ticket price changes?

We already have confirmed box office figures in US dollars for both domestic and overseas.

Based on the inflation calculation by boxofficemojo domestically here, its easy to calculate the amount for the overseas. It will always be an approximation ofcourse. The adjuster includes average ticket price.

For example, if a movie made $1 on 1939, and that $1 is worth $8 in 2016, the original value is multiplied by 8 for overseas as well.

The final actual adjusted amount could only be lower than my estimate for overseas as the movies are usually released several years later overseas with many re-releases in the past (prior to 1990s). The inflation rate decreases as the movie releases a few years later overseas, but you need extremely detailed box office stats to calculate that accurately.

Titanic re-release was very recent so its easy for me to reduce the inflation accordingly for the $348 million it made in 2012.

Edited by Annayya

4 hours ago, Annayya said:

We already have confirmed box office figures in US dollars for both domestic and overseas.

I asked if you earnestly used (put in spoiler tags to not force OT to other users of this thread)

Spoiler

US inflation for worldwide inflation comparisons (and ignoring some other major points seemingly too), including using US ticket price development for ww comparisons / calculation.

If yes = IMHO not a question of how far accurate, its IMHO not usable. Hint:  if it would be that simple, a lot of those kind of website would offer ww adjusted charts too.

Beside that, confirmed is IMHO something else, as e.g. BOM's details vary from other also respected websites (for older and ~ actual movies), all of them stating themselves about their numbers of especially older movies (e.g. depending on the website, before 1982) are rather guessed/estimated. Plus especially the adjuster for ticket price is one of the most questioned detail at BOM, also to clear how they handle a new exchange rate even for revenues of another month/year, and....

BTW, I also honestly think you are with that kind of posts way :hijacked:, as this is the China thread and not the OS whatever comparison thread or even correct forum area.

If your main aim is an addition to the already endless comparisons between... whatever, there are already threads for that in the Speaksay Forum, if it's about exchange rate's per country, there is a thread in the International Forum, if it is about the OS details and how to interpret those, there are per movie threads in the International area also.... (your assumption about only Japan having those kind of archived details isn't correct, also for learning a lot of sources,.... the International Forum's area is a great place to start for learning sources and more too.)

7 hours ago, terrestrial said:

snip

24 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I asked if you earnestly used (put in spoiler tags to not force OT to other users of this thread)

Hide contents

US inflation for worldwide inflation comparisons (and ignoring some other major points seemingly too), including using US ticket price development for ww comparisons / calculation.

If yes = IMHO not a question of how far accurate, its IMHO not usable. Hint:  if it would be that simple, a lot of those kind of website would offer ww adjusted charts too.

Beside that, confirmed is IMHO something else, as e.g. BOM's details vary from other also respected websites (for older and ~ actual movies), all of them stating themselves about their numbers of especially older movies (e.g. depending on the website, before 1982) are rather guessed/estimated. Plus especially the adjuster for ticket price is one of the most questioned detail at BOM, also to clear how they handle a new exchange rate even for revenues of another month/year, and....

BTW, I also honestly think you are with that kind of posts way :hijacked:, as this is the China thread and not the OS whatever comparison thread or even correct forum area.

If your main aim is an addition to the already endless comparisons between... whatever, there are already threads for that in the Speaksay Forum, if it's about exchange rate's per country, there is a thread in the International Forum, if it is about the OS details and how to interpret those, there are per movie threads in the International area also.... (your assumption about only Japan having those kind of archived details isn't correct, also for learning a lot of sources,.... the International Forum's area is a great place to start for learning sources and more too.)

Thanks for educating me on where to post what.

Except for my post, I guess 99.999% of the posts in this website are very appropriate to the thread title/topic and there is absolutely no deviation.

In terms of accuracy of the numbers, I said it was a rough approximation. I wasn't trying to prepare a thesis on this for you.

Edited by Annayya

6 hours ago, Annayya said:

Unfortunately, other than Japan I don't think any other country provides this information accurately.

The only other market I know is South Korea but I think what you had done a fairly good estimate. The general trend is about right.