A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

If Stephen Chow directed Batman vs Superman, I wonder how much it'll gross in China lol. His name alone can fill theaters anywhere in China.

Marvel is probably thinking about it: introduce a Chinese superhero into the MCU and have Stephen Chow direct it. The popularity of the MCU and Stephen Chow together in China would equal box office orgasm.

PS up 120% for ZOO as expected after bumping 70% yesterday like minions. Should come in close to 105m. 

ZOO will win the weekend

TR should be close to flat or small bump.

BvS at 1.7m on maoyan.  A lot lower than SW7 at this time.  I think it was 4m at this time. Steadily rose to 14m to 2 days out then popped to 72m , most of it on the final day for a 195m open. 2.7x PS. It's still early but it's looking like MI5  OD and total so far. 100m/850m

Edited by No Prisoners

10 hours ago, movieboner said:

If Stephen Chow directed Batman vs Superman, I wonder how much it'll gross in China lol. His name alone can fill theaters anywhere in China.

Marvel is probably thinking about it: introduce a Chinese superhero into the MCU and have Stephen Chow direct it. The popularity of the MCU and Stephen Chow together in China would equal box office orgasm.

Chow doesn't fit with Marvel. He fits more with materials like King'sman.

Congrats to Zooptopia on beating KFP3 as top animated grosser in China.

Disney reigns again in China since 10 years ago. 

Animated Champion in China:

The Lion King - 41.3M (1995-2008)

Kung-fu Panda - 186m(2008-2011)

Kung-fu Panda2 - 617M(2011-2015.7.25)

TMK:Hero is back - 956M(2015.7.25-2016.2.27)

Kung-fu Panda3 - 960M+(2016.2.27-2016.3.19)

Zootopia - 1B+ (from now)

Edited by Olive
  • Like 6

I'm surprised by Zootopia's success as one of my chinese friends told me it was not a famous movie.

We actually had a hard time finding a 2D showing, and I was a bit disappointed to realize that it was dubbed in Chinese (even though app showed "original language") so I could not understand everything as my Chinese is still pretty average! Great crowd's reactions anyway, and lots of kids.

Just saw that CA 3 will be released May 6th, can't wait.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Clef Ment said:

I'm surprised by Zootopia's success as one of my chinese friends told me it was not a famous movie.

We actually had a hard time finding a 2D showing, and I was a bit disappointed to realize that it was dubbed in Chinese (even though app showed "original language") so I could not understand everything as my Chinese is still pretty average! Great crowd's reactions anyway, and lots of kids.

In big cities, 90% of showtimes are English version.

1 hour ago, Arlo245 said:

How's Saturday playing out for Zoo? 

78m so far. Still on track for 105m +/-5m   -37% w/o/w.

47 minutes ago, The Gotham Bank said:

Haven't really been checking the China BO lately. Where is Zootopia looking to finish at?

1.4b/$215m+ if it doesn't get extended

1.5b/$230m+ if it does.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Olive said:

Congrats to Zooptopia on beating KFP3 as top animated grosser in China.

Disney reigns again in China since 10 years ago. 

Animated Champion in China:

The Lion King - 41.3M (1995-2008)

Kung-fu Panda - 186m(2008-2011)

Kung-fu Panda2 - 617M(2011-2015.7.25)

TMK:Hero is back - 956M(2015.7.25-2016.2.27)

Kung-fu Panda3 - 960M+(2016.2.27-2016.3.19)

Zootopia - 1B+ (from now)

Hm...Less than a month for Kung Fu Panda 3. I pity Po. 

Since thing became like this, Zootopia won't sit this throne long IMO. We will see. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

PS up 120% for ZOO as expected after bumping 70% yesterday like minions. Should come in close to 105m. 

ZOO will win the weekend

TR should be close to flat or small bump.

BvS at 1.7m on maoyan.  A lot lower than SW7 at this time.  I think it was 4m at this time. Steadily rose to 14m to 2 days out then popped to 72m , most of it on the final day for a 195m open. 2.7x PS. It's still early but it's looking like MI5  OD and total so far. 100m/850m

Is Gewara less accurate than Maoyan? Because it seems to be doing really well on Gewara.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clef Ment said:

I saw 2D ver twice. 40% 2D showtimes in some theaters.Normally,animation has more dubbed showtimes.50% English showtimes is enough.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1

What madness from ZOOTP.

What is the final gross looking at?

With that 110m Saturday it completely destroyed the 1b mark.

I am guessing ~1.5b, though am not good at estimating grosses at the Chinese BO.

EDIT: I just noticed NP's post about ZOOTP's final gross. Amazing.

5 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

78m so far. Still on track for 105m +/-5m   -37% w/o/w.

1.4b/$215m+ if it doesn't get extended

1.5b/$230m+ if it does.

Edited by a2knet