A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

36 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Rogue One is now 8 on Maoyan. Arrival 7.5..

While passengers is 8.5, and both Great Wall/Railroad tigers (2 crap which I regretted watching) are above 8. Gosh i can't take this.

I haven't seen Great Wall and Railroad Tigers, but Passengers was awful. The fact audiences like it more than R1 and Arrival is depressing

27 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

Browsing a bunch of Maoyan reviews. Seems like most were bored thinking it'd be more of an action sci-fi film and A LOT didn't understand the ending. 

For real, I have no idea why they can't understand the ending. It is not Nolan-type story making moviegoers feel confusion.

On 1/20/2017 at 10:42 AM, Gavin Feng said:

Fri estimates

Arrival - OD 18m(150k from midnights, most moviegoers don’t like this film)

Cause Amy Adams saves China. They didn't have to make China look weak in the movie, could have picked some country whose boxoffice doesn't matter, like Iran.

• Like 1

China just doesn't like Star Wars. We went all over this in 2015, it's happening again this year, and it's gonna happen again at the end of the year and the next as well.

Asian moviegoers in general don't like the visual style, the mythology, the characters... and the nostalgia has no effect on them, so that only leaves behind an average sci-fi flick, which is unsurprisingly getting average numbers to boot.

I doubt that changes in the near future, unless one of the "Star Wars stories" does something very differently that clicks with that audience. Not impossible.

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

China just doesn't like Star Wars. We went all over this in 2015, it's happening again this year, and it's gonna happen again at the end of the year and the next as well.

Asian moviegoers in general don't like the visual style, the mythology, the characters... and the nostalgia has no effect on them, so that only leaves behind an average sci-fi flick, which is unsurprisingly getting average numbers to boot.

I doubt that changes in the near future, unless one of the "Star Wars stories" does something very differently that clicks with that audience. Not impossible.

There is a theory that Chinese like following suit very much. The supporters always said that only few people knew who Paul Walker was before his death.

Forgive me for saying that I think SW8 box office might show if it’s true. And I will never  doubt the theory if SW8 make more than ¥1,200m in China.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 2

There is a theory that Chinese like following suit very much. The supporters always said that only few people knew who Paul Walker was before his death.

Forgive me for saying that I think SW8 box office might show if it’s true. And I will never  doubt the theory if SW8 make more than ¥1,200m in China.

I didn't quite understand. What means "following suit"? Following someones lead?

Not surprised that Arrival has a bad WOM in China, the film doesn't have any furious battlefield scene, in other words, it is not a typical Sci-Fi film the general audiences expect for. As fast-food culture predominates the market here, most of audiences do not have enough patience to follow a slow intrinsic story without stimulating visual effects.

But I personally dislike this movie too, because I had read the book before ...  my ranking of some of the recent films are listed as follows,

La La Land, 8.6/10 

Hacksaw Ridge - 7.3/10

Arrival - 6.9/10 

Passenger - 6.2/10

RO - 6.2/10

And I can guess that the ranking of Chinese general audiences might be Hacksaw Ridge > La La Land > Passenger > RO > Arrival.

In general, most audiences here pay more attention to the following aspects,

1> complicate story, no matter the quality is good or not. So many Chinese audiences have a prejudice that a good story is always complicated or innovative, that's why audiences here overrated Interstellar but underestimated Gravity because by comparison, Gravity's story is too succinct.

2> startling or innovative visual effects, it's not difficult to understand, right?

3> emotional performance, for example, it's one of the reasons why Hacksaw Ridge got such an excellent WOM here, and showtimes a handsome/beautiful face is enough.

• Like 1

He means Bandwagon effect or contagion effect, if a part of people do it and that lowers the threshold, making it easier and more permissible for the next.

Ok, thanks. I think there were few people who saw SW7 to make a bandwagon effect(?) Not sure if I follow, unless theory has something to do with Carrie Fishers death.

1 hour ago, ttr said:

Ok, thanks. I think there were few people who saw SW7 to make a bandwagon effect(?) Not sure if I follow, unless theory has something to do with Carrie Fishers death.

We all know that the WOM of TFA is not that good and I have to say Carrie Fisher isn't very popular here, I don't know how can EP8 get a positive bandwagon effect in China.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ttr said:

What they are saying is this...

Bandwagon effect for SW7 happened because there was news everywhere that it was breaking box office records in US, and opened well everywhere. 
+ curiousity factor and huge marketing in China. So it opened extremely well in China in its first weekend.

But as you know it was so bad, people were turned off and it affected Rogue One badly.

So.. the question now is.. for SW8, is there this contagion effect? Carrie Fisher's death allowing SW8 to break box office record elsewhere and Chinese have the cruiously factor and start supporting it? Just like how they jumped on the bandwagon for Paul Walker's F7.

• Like 1