A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Was there ever a time Hollywood performed better than the local market in China, seems like Chinese films have always performed better.

They were, until very recently:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/12/27/china-2017-box-office-wrap-up-hollywood-movies-grab-3-4-billion-universal-rules/#62b4c7f233eb

Even with that growth, Hollywood’s market share in China was essentially flat compared to 2016, remaining at just over 40 percent. That’s a far cry from the days of several years ago when U.S. movies captured 50 percent and more of the territory’s box office revenue. China’s government film authorities have managed the market through import controls, release dates and blackouts that favor local films, and marketing rules to ensure that the Americans stay in their place at below 50 percent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

China’s government film authorities have managed the market through import controls, release dates and blackouts that favor local films, and marketing rules to ensure that the Americans stay in their place at below 50 percent.

This sounds scary, do you think they will try to cripple Avatar 2? Despite it's pro enviromental message (which China loves)

25 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This sounds scary, do you think they will try to cripple Avatar 2? Despite it's pro enviromental message (which China loves)

Not sure how could say a way or an other on this, non free market are impossible to predict and arbitrary.

6 hours ago, KJsooner said:

Post less you freaking doofus 

What did he say that caused  you to react this way?  Didn't see anything really offensive by him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

The films deemed to be less appealing to Chinese audiences with a high potential of underperforming are the ones most likely to not receive theatrical releases. The surefire hits just have to ensure they don't get in the way of local films and it will be smooth sailing. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, commendable said:

If BP makes 100m - good. if it makes 125 mil - extraordinary. 

It would be extraordinary if it had reached 150, for example. I do not see nothing special in making 125. Ant-Man already did $105m 3 years ago. And Dr. Strange $110m. It is a standard run for a MCU film.

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Unless WoM is toxic, Avatar 2 will break out even if it has unfavorable release date. Will beat Fast and Furious for sure.

But not sure if it can beat local movies. Movie goers in less urbanized areas prefer local movies to Hollyhood movies because of language/cultural barrier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peludo said:

It would be extraordinary if it had reached 150, for example. I do not see nothing special in making 125. Ant-Man already did $105m 3 years ago. And Dr. Strange $110m. It is a standard run for a MCU film.

Its pretty impressive because people were even debating if it would even make half of that since chinese people are prejudice against black people, especially black people with dark skinned. It just makes the star wars marketing department look even more ridiculous for minimizing finn so much in that poster. This movie will make more than TLJ in China.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, YLF said:

Its pretty impressive because people were even debating if it would even make half of that since chinese people are prejudice against black people, especially black people with dark skinned. It just makes the star wars marketing department look even more ridiculous for minimizing finn so much in that poster. This movie will make more than TLJ in China.

There is nothing impressive to make more than Star Wars in China. A dog's purpose did more than TLJ. Maybe the expectations of BP were lower at the beginning, but at the end the result is average for MCU. A good result (there is not doubt about it), but nothing impressive.

5 hours ago, peludo said:

Behold the power of Marvel!

14 minutes ago, commendable said:

I think the average run is impressive to be honest. BP breakin down barriers!

Exactly, especially considering people thought its legs would collapse. 

55 minutes ago, peludo said:

Those are the same amounts that DCU did with BvS, Wonder Woman or Justice League ;)

You mean all 4 below ANT-MAN? 

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

Exactly, especially considering people thought its legs would collapse. 

You mean all 4 below ANT-MAN? 

I mean the same range. Similar amounts. I am not trying to start a Marvel vs DC war. That is absurd, annoying, tiring... If you follow a bit the Chinese market you easily see that it is always the same: 90-120 million for EVERY SH film, excepting Avengers, which are able to double that amount.

I get that some of you are really interested in showing how strong BP is everywhere. But I would like to see some of you here when BP run is over to talk about China BO, not just because the film you support.

The truth is that in China, Black Panther is another one SH film, nothing special. Is it a good result? Sure. Is it an amazing result? No.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, peludo said:

I mean the same range. Similar amounts. I am not trying to start a Marvel vs DC war. That is absurd, annoying, tiring... If you follow a bit the Chinese market you easily see that it is always the same: 90-120 million for EVERY SH film, excepting Avengers, which are able to double that amount.

I get that some of you are really interested in showing how strong BP is everywhere. But I would like to see some of you here when BP run is over to talk about China BO, not just because the film you support.

The truth is that in China, Black Panther is another one SH film, nothing special. Is it a good result? Sure. Is it an amazing result? No.

You're right. You should also understand that some people expected it to do worse than what it's done. Context here helps. 

17 minutes ago, peludo said:

This. Exactly. BP is having a large opening thanks to the hype from America. Guests here — be proud. But don’t be so blind to admit this film is not striking a chord in China. That’s a fact at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

This. Exactly. BP is having a large opening thanks to the hype from America. Guests here — be proud. But don’t be so blind to admit this film is not striking a chord in China. That’s a fact at this point. 

At this point fans are just glad it didn't pull a SW

18 minutes ago, RRA said:

At this point fans are just glad it didn't pull a SW

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it’s performing nearly identically to The Force Awakens. Hype is one thing but if you can’t land with the Chinese audience, good luck with the next installment. 

And FYI, not that it really matters, I’m an American and loved BP and SW. I’ve got no stake in this game. 

Edited by jiangsen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it’s performing nearly identically to The Force Awakens. Hype is one thing but if you can’t land with the Chinese audience, good luck with the next installment. 

And FYI, not that it really matters, I’m an American and loved BP and SW. I’ve got no stake in this game. 

No I think it will make the same amount it is mcu after all :)