A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

it will be a 10.0 by the morning

Can you please refrain from trolling? You're just like that GraceRandolph account. You both are derailing the thread. Go somewhere Avatar related.

• Like 1

BP with an 8.0 Maoyan rating has a little more than 1.6 multiple. SM: Homecoming with an 8.1 has an almost 1.7 multiple. JL with an 8.6 has more than 2x multiple. So unless it increases considerably, IW with an 8.4 rating might have 1.8 to 1.9 multiple. @POTUS @Proxima Olive @ZeeSoh is that reasonable or do we have to adjust it a little down for frontloading?

24 minutes ago, UserHN said:

BP with an 8.0 Maoyan rating has a little more than 1.6 multiple. SM: Homecoming with an 8.1 has an almost 1.7 multiple. JL with an 8.6 has more than 2x multiple. So unless it increases considerably, IW with an 8.4 rating might have 1.8 to 1.9 multiple. @POTUS @Proxima Olive @ZeeSoh is that reasonable or do we have to adjust it a little down for frontloading?

Even if IW has a 9.3, I doubt it will have a multiple higher than 2.0 with such a big opening week.

FF8 had a 9.3 on Maoyan, and its multiple is 2.

I think 1.8 would be a good goal. But I am not an expert.

It's low rating on Maoyan maybe it has a higher percentage of lower ratings then Ragnarok. I saw Thor: R is at 8.9, after 448087 votes at this:

9-10: 71.4

7-8: 22.2

5-6: 4.6

3-4: 0.7

1-2: 1.1

While IW currently is at:

9-10: 71.3%

7-8: 14.7%

5-6: 6.8%

3-4: 1.8

1-2: 5.3

Edit: Honestly this probably doesn't mean much. It's already like going to open high so I don't think it will get a better multiplier then 2 at the very most. But I could be wrong. 

Edited by Belle

7 minutes ago, Fish&chips said:

I'm surprised at everyone tracking the ratings ad nauseam and extrapolating the potential lifetime total from it. Seriously...is it even that accurate?

In China, it usually is. Maoyan ratings especially. It can make or break a movie. But I'm no Chinese expert. Potus and ProximaOlive are the experts here in the thread.

14 minutes ago, Belle said:

It's low rating on Maoyan maybe it has a higher percentage of lower ratings then Ragnarok. I saw Thor: R is at 8.9, after 448087 votes at this:

9-10: 71.4

7-8: 22.2

5-6: 4.6

3-4: 0.7

1-2: 1.1

While IW currently is at:

9-10: 71.3%

7-8: 14.7%

5-6: 6.8%

3-4: 1.8

1-2: 5.3

Edit: Honestly this probably doesn't mean much. It's already like going to open high so I don't think it will get a better multiplier then 2 at the very most. But I could be wrong. 

Yeah, that 5.3% who gave 1-2. DC hardcores or maybe Marvelites who can't accept the fate of their favorite superheroes.

11 minutes ago, Fish&chips said:

I'm surprised at everyone tracking the ratings ad nauseam and extrapolating the potential lifetime total from it. Seriously...is it even that accurate?

China box office is just different. I lived there for 6 months and you really can't go to a movie without pre-buying a ticket and pre-sale info is available to the public so. 

I don't understand how is there anyone who still hasn't ignored the guy from avatar and that shit...

Personally, I follow the forum from about two years but created my account some months ago, now it seems reading the threads is much easier with the ignore function activated haha

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, UserHN said:

In China, it usually is. Maoyan ratings especially. It can make or break a movie. But I'm no Chinese expert. Potus and ProximaOlive are the experts here in the thread.

40 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

China box office is just different. I lived there for 6 months and you really can't go to a movie without pre-buying a ticket and pre-sale info is available to the public so. 

Surprising but okay.

So people in China refer to Maoyan ratings and the thin balance between say 8.5 and 9.0 rating determine whether they will see the movie or not? 

or is it that that difference represents a huge difference in how the film was received by the GA?

15 minutes ago, Fish&chips said:

Surprising but okay.

So people in China refer to Maoyan ratings and the thin balance between say 8.5 and 9.0 rating determine whether they will see the movie or not? 

or is it that that difference represents a huge difference in how the film was received by the GA?

Both. But the score itself reflects real audience reception, so it becomes reliable for others in making decision.

9 minutes ago, Fish&chips said:

Surprising but okay.

The ratings usually determine the legs of the movie. As one commenter said earlier, a 9.0+ will have breakout legs. An 8.0 and below rating will have bad legs. Somewhere between 8.1 and 9.0 will have average legs. I personally wish they wouldn't refer to Maoyan so much. Especially with the recent scandal involving them.