A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Can someone who actually live in China give a general impression about WOM there? Maoyan is acting weird and doesn't seem to correlate with other sites very well. It's hard to find a 1-star review on Maoyan which actually talks about the movie, not some political bullshit.

6 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

8.5 now 🤷🏼‍♂️

I used translate on some of the lowest scores and a lot of them are BS. They don't even reference the movie they talk about the US "messing" with China. If not for those troll scores, I think this would be closer about 9.0 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

After reading a whole lot of reviews on both Maoyan and Douban, i can see that the ending wasn't the factor. Many are upset about it but still rate 3-4 star. The 1 or half star ratings are mad about Hollywood movies in general, some include economic recessions, woman organization sth, US-China trade war. "Why are pp still watching mindless English movies like this" they said.

The 5-star ratings are over the moon about it. Most common phrases are "The storyline compact", "egg wonderful", "movie good-looking", "effect is very good" and some praises about unexpected plot and villains. In short, they're similar to the rest of the world.

I wonder if WOM is actually good but the score is low, will the gross be affected a lot? Is there any precedence of this situation?

Just now, The Mad Titan said:

I used translate on some of the lowest scores and a lot of them are BS. They don't even reference the movie they talk about the US "messing" with China. If not for those troll scores, I think this would be closer about 9.0 

I guess it is similar to how Black Panther started out on 6.6 on IMDB because of troll ratings and got up to 7.9ish after that.