A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

But why would that be "corrupting"??  Why shouldn't Hollywood get a bigger share of "their" movie??  Other countries are 40%-45% so why is China so low & they want it even lower- that one year holding up payment to get an even lower cut.  If they want to see Hollywood movies - and recent box office shows filmgoers do - they should pay a fair price like everyone else - I see no problem with HW wanting a fair cut on their product.

Well that is the definition of corruption. Bribing someone to get what you want.

• Like 1

Well that is the definition of corruption. Bribing someone to get what you want.

How is it "bribing" when it is Hollywood's product & they just want a decent cut from it??  20%-25% is a ridiculously low share compared to the rest of the world.  And you think China withholding payment to get a lower cut isn't bribery too?

But why would that be "corrupting"??  Why shouldn't Hollywood get a bigger share of "their" movie??  Other countries are 40%-45% so why is China so low & they want it even lower- that one year holding up payment to get an even lower cut.  If they want to see Hollywood movies - and recent box office shows filmgoers do - they should pay a fair price like everyone else - I see no problem with HW wanting a fair cut on their product.

Because the more important your market, the more negociating power you have. 25% of FF7's gross will still be nearly $100 which is more than they'll get in any other OS market despite the 40-45% shares. If they're not happy the Chinese government would just tell them 'Well bye bye then' and they'd get nothing instead of 20-25%.

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 1

Because the more important your market, the more negociating power you have. 25% of FF7's gross will still be nearly $100 which is more than they'll get in any other OS market despite the 40-45% shares. If they're not happy the Chinese government would just tell them 'Well bye bye then' and they'd get nothing instead of 20-25%.

That's all well & good but I really only objected to that posters' use of the word "corrupting".  I really don't know how HW trying to get a fair share of their product would be corrupting at all - it's just business.

That's all well & good but I really only objected to that posters' use of the word "corrupting".  I really don't know how HW trying to get a fair share of their product would be corrupting at all - it's just business.

Yeah, I can agree with that. It's closer to negociating than corrupting.

• Like 1

If they're trying to get their "fair share" by paying Chinese politicians it is corruption. That's the definition of it. 

• Like 1

It works the other way too. The more important your product the more negotiating power you have. Like IPhone. Hollywood made money w/o china for 100 years and would still make money if there was a ban. The 25% payout equals less than 5% of WW revenue to studios. China's BO would decrease by 50% w/o Hollywood. A lot of theaters would be shutting their doors a few weeks later. They could use the room for storage for all the crap we don't want to buy from them anymore as the movie merchandise factories move to India.

Kingsman ends its run with 482.5M yuan ($77.7m)

what day do the new releases open this week?

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

Thursday, because Friday is a Holiday, early schedules indicates FF7 will lose 2/3 of showtimes.

It had 56% this past weekend. I assume that would mean 18-20%

It did 89m w 63% two weeks ago. Maybe it can still have a good holiday weekend w 20%

Do they shift showtimes during the weekend if one of the new releases bombs?