A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

10 hours ago, POTUS said:

Animation or not, If the demand was holding up it would have -10% or better weekday holds like FB, DS or ZOO etc.

15%+ daily declines forecast a weaker weekend and doesn't forebode well for the following week with a big opener like the TGW

Zootopia is exceptional.Most animation are weekend films.There is little animation holding 30M+ or 20M+ on non-holiday weekdays.Zootopia gross $230M.It can't compare with Zootopia.Your Name is heading for $90M,not $200M.

1 hour ago, chrisman0606 said:

Checked cbooo live update and saw that Hacksaw Ridge is number one which means it might win Thursday, but how will it  do for the Fri-Sun weekend?

Your Name pulling ahead and will win the day. Its got more presales for Saturday than the other two new releases so I guess it will fair pretty good.

6 hours ago, bangbingchan said:

Zootopia is exceptional.Most animation are weekend films.There is little animation holding 30M+ or 20M+ on non-holiday weekdays.Zootopia gross $230M.It can't compare with Zootopia.Your Name is heading for $90M,not $200M.

Regardless if its a $50m film or $200m film, a toon or live action, the weekday DoD performance at -10% is very good, 15% is just so so and a sign it will fade fast. It's a signal for legs.  It will be under $85m even with a large sat bump.

7 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

$80-90M OD and $200-220M OW "I guess”(you know what I mean)

The Great Wall must make $200m OW, killing Rogue One’s domestic OW and total:angry:

Why do you not like Rogue One?

I hope Rogue One beats Great Wall... simply because Great Wall is about white-washing and insult Chinese History. While Rogue One is the opposite, letting Chinese enter one of the biggest US IP and Cultural phenomenon. 

17 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Why do you not like Rogue One?

I hope Rogue One beats Great Wall... simply because Great Wall is about white-washing and insult Chinese History. While Rogue One is the opposite, letting Chinese enter one of the biggest US IP and Cultural phenomenon. 

In fact what I said is sarcasm. I love Rogue One so much and hope The Great Wall will flop(even I like Matt Damon and Jason Bourne).:sadben:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Drop for Fantastic Beasts today is brutal. Since its losing its premium screens tomorrow as well its going to finish way under 600m

Dollars please?

Edit: I checked it and 600m yuan is like 87m dollars. 

If it is above 85m I am OK. But not less!

Edited by FantasticBeasts

As much as I like Zhang Yimou, I hope The Great Wall doesn't do well because it sets a horrible precedent for US-China co-productions (that it will only do well if you have a white actor as the main lead).

12 movies are screening on CNY. Any predictions? I think the battle's going to be between Stephen Chow x Tsui Hark and Jackie Chan.

18 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

As much as I like Zhang Yimou, I hope The Great Wall doesn't do well because it sets a horrible precedent for US-China co-productions (that it will only do well if you have a white actor as the main lead).

12 movies are screening on CNY. Any predictions? I think the battle's going to be between Stephen Chow x Tsui Hark and Jackie Chan.

JTTW2 is easily the frontrunner, it will make at least twice as mush as runner-up.

1 hour ago, Olive said:

JTTW2 is easily the frontrunner, it will make at least twice as mush as runner-up.

It's tricky because some people don't really see this as a Stephen Chow movie since he's not the director so it's not gonna have as much support as it would have if Stephen directed it. At the same time though, Tsui Hark's directed movies have done well in recent years so he obviously has a big pull too.